TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Very excited for Haunt this year it should be awesome! Even better I may be apart of it as I applied for Talent today and going to the job fair on the 4th!

It's a lot of fun, but a lot of folks are surprised when they learn it's not as easy as it seems! Any thoughts on where you want to try and go? I'll be Supervising again, hopefully they bring me back to the same place as last year

I'm thinking about doing Scare Zones just not sure which one yet.

Was just at CGA, alot of work has been done to the "Prudential Turnaround," more rebar has appeared at both compacted sites and the elephant is still there. Today was just so crowded, FD's line was out the entrance to the planter closest to Delta Flyer. (Not worth the wait) Two weird occurrences happened today, one being over by Xtreme Skyflyer, looked over and saw a huge plane coming from that direction and fly right overhead. The second being, I schooled an Acer with my knowledge of the coaster. He had no clue what the layout was, so I told him. He said he had no clue as to what it was at all.

^Reminds me of when I surprised a park employee who initially proceeded to tell me about the new coaster, after me bringing up about FD being my favorite but will see what happens in 2013. I got to telling her that it was a woodie and was actually supposed to happen several years ago, first drop wrapping the tower. I was ready to pull out my phone since I had a photo of it saved on there but didn't want to take too much of her time, plus had a B&M to get to and a fellow coaster fanatic to meet up (I wonder who, lol)

The GP seem to also be surprised, especially when I showed them the photo when waiting in line for Demon. Most of who I talked to seemed completely oblivious to any attraction going in at the Whizzer site.

The crowds you mention, that seems pretty crazy especially since there was no event going on today (to my knowledge). The park definitely is seeing the crowds much like it did during Haunt. What the sudden motivation is I'm not sure but perhaps the marketing team is doing something right. Tomorrow is that Viva la Raza festival/concert and can expect it to be packed much like the Reggae Fest was. Crossing fingers that the following Sunday won't be so bad.

About the coaster construction, I'm curious if the whole thing will be sitting on a pad or just certain elements. I recall looking at Apocalypse and it seemed like 1 large pad was set up. But that was all in a flat area while CGA's will have a bit of different level terrain. I guess we'll see as the construction continues to unfold. In the mean time I'm sure I'll be 'bent' with excitement soon, especially when things go vertical (or horizontal during assembly). Yes, pun was intended

There was a big sponsored group their yesterday. Along with school groups. One of the reason flight decks line is so long is because of loose articles. Though if you came by near when it was closing for the fireworks it was moving fast because I was control then got moved to grouping and back to control.

Doing some digging on the permit center page and came across this:

7/13/2012

Description: THIRD PARTY**** Build new metal building for storage and

occasional special events. New CO

Shed: The Ride anyone?

I'm wondering if this metal building will end up being something like the Slaughter House tent, being something used for Haunt (being used for occasional special events/storage of haunt props). Whether if this structure would be up in time for Haunt this season is beyond me since it hasn't been assembled yet, plus the mazes would have to be assembled right after that..

Doing some digging on the permit center page and came across this:
7/13/2012

Description: THIRD PARTY**** Build new metal building for storage and

occasional special events. New CO

Shed: The Ride anyone?

I'm wondering if this metal building will end up being something like the Slaughter House tent, being something used for Haunt (being used for occasional special events/storage of haunt props). Whether if this structure would be up in time for Haunt this season is beyond me since it hasn't been assembled yet, plus the mazes would have to be assembled right after that..

I would most likely say it's for haunt prop storage. Because when they had to start the construction for the Gci, they had to get all the props out of the pictorium. Right now its all in the tunnel by The Demons pre-drop turn and all under FD.

^That's awesome!

So today I went to the park and got there around 2:15, the park was actually crowded for a Wednesday I use to go on in the middle of the week because there would usually be more less lines but today was not the case. There are actually a few things to report, I will mostly just add captions to the pictures but I would like to note a few things here. The wood for the new maze is behind the Action Theater you can see it if you ride Vortex. Also Grizzly's dispatches have seem to gotten better! I timed a 1:15 from unload to load!

Now onto the pictures!

IMG_0900.thumb.jpg.d7423ea81cc4a052f5543ee0bf99b15d.jpg

So far it looks like the "Onion Ring" is done as far as cement. The "Drumstick" still needs a little more work done.

IMG_0901.thumb.jpg.0a08c5423e9c0f4ada78b791d3a89b30.jpg

Overview of all the wood. They were actually moving things around and organizing.

IMG_0903.thumb.jpg.752c4b184874f3bcfc6135da676c2100.jpg

Over at Tiki Twirl they added these new God signs, I think it adds a nice touch!

IMG_0904.thumb.jpg.4edeb342b32d0d6aeda514a6c385871b.jpg

IMG_0905.thumb.jpg.c4fcf90e1579b8e55e19c8513685c878.jpg

IMG_0906.thumb.jpg.0207c6806ec8f6ada23f91a718fa04b9.jpg

IMG_0907.thumb.jpg.0e70e9227c68dc5c17a5084122b0a7a6.jpg

IMG_0908.thumb.jpg.ca1d22fb6d40331cb9c026c68d480ee0.jpg

IMG_0909.thumb.jpg.ad0ad84fcd5579d9d6f78f428e256af3.jpg

IMG_0910.thumb.jpg.1d3ef91ac822b0093c5191c2294a6ea2.jpg

I think this is going to be the new area for the Haunt building that was found on the permit page. It sits behind First Aid and the former area of Invertigo lifts.

asdfgh.png.1155d36ec40e3c83b77e6287d7e635de.png

Here is an aerial view, seems like a good spot for a maze.

IMG_0914.thumb.jpg.9570438066bc6ab5dce34b7f3e0332da.jpg

When exiting Grizzly I noticed a new type of brace going on part of the turn around and some new beams. Anybody know or have an idea why? (Sorry about my finger in the shot.)

IMG_0915.thumb.jpg.5c59551a9408539824b56b12e7a9189c.jpg

Noticed they were working on this building and gutting it out. (Near Boomerang Bay) My guess this is for Halloween and they will have the talking pumpkin show here. Or something completely different.

IMG_0911.thumb.jpg.a7867eb246f09b1068fb482358fc0882.jpg

And the Vortex wheelchair lift is still not done, I would have thought it would be completed by now.

Is that wooden beam blocking the exit path? It also looks like some more wood is going up in the path, possibly for the queue? (As that's what it appears to be to me). Looks like the drum stick still has a bit more work to go before it can finally be cemented in, as there's a bunch of rebar sitting next to it. It has me wondering though, is portions of this ride going to be on cement slabs? When looking at the Apocalypse construction, it appeared that 1 solid slab was made while with Coaster Man Dumping Waffle, it looks like only certain portions will have the pads.

Also, I still have yet to ride Tiki Twirl this season as the lines have been long and since there's a lack of shade, waiting in a long line doesn't sound to pleasant. Maybe this weekend I'll finally get my 2012 rides on Tiki. Those signs look pretty cool, much better than the empty frames that had been there the past 1.5 seasons.

I'm back with another trip report and great day out at the park. It was most definitely another busy one. Not as intense as the previous visit but it was pretty close. I got there close to 10:50 or so and decided to take a walk by the construction site before heading on Flight Deck. I overheard some employees talking about "AU13", whatever that means. A bit puzzled and curious, I headed off to Flight Deck for the first ride, about a 25 minute line already. After FD, I met up with Robman where we headed to Orbit as it had no line (and had some confused GP wondering where the entrance is). From there I was talking to Robman about last time how we met up with Flagg O'Dim and his brother in the general area we were passing through and sure enough, they're sitting at one of the planters, getting ready for the water park. We joined them, a total of 5 of us.

Wanting to try this last time but having the slide being 'down' we didn't get to so we made up for it today. We got all 5 of us on the Didgeridoo raft slide and wow was that a crazy ride! Normally I just have a real gentle cruise down as it's normally my cousin and I. Throw in 3 more bodies and we had airtime, wall time, waterfalls gushing up and over behind those of us up on the wall, hitting those facing upward. I will admit, I was actually getting a bit worried! When I hit the walls, part of the raft was poking above the slide's walls and only thing keeping me on that raft was hanging on! I was hoping I wouldn't end up landing on any of the rest of us on the slide.

From there, we hit up the Boomerango for some airtime and the body slides (did both this time as there was no lines for it). No backflips or any of that craziness this time, though I did end up barreling through the straight slide and pulsing out a giant wave. From there, still soaked we met up with 1 more friend, one I met through the CGA facebook page and headed off to the Rapids. Due to the temperatures we had today, water rides were a must. Heading back towards the back of the park I decided to check out the Water Maze and then soak up the seats on Peanut's Pirates. Prior to changing back to my dry clothes and splitting off, Psycho Mouse for some random reason had almost no lines. This was a rarity for being around 2:00 in the afternoon so riding was a must.

Fast forward to after changing and lunch. We decided to check out the happenings at Grizzly since there was some mysterious construction going on. Let's say that they fixed up the queues and is a huge improvement. There's no more of having 2 stop points and taking up the courtyard space. There are now 3 openings now: exit, entrance, and Fast Lane. Previously, entrance and exit shared openings and even the path for a portion of it. The walkway was widened somehow and separation was made, thus taking the cluster**** out of the queue.

Coaster construction: not much has changed since Robman's TR the other day. Rebar in the drumstick pad, cemented 'curly fry' pad. Also, it looks like they're getting the parking area/storage area prepped as some stuff was moved around. Otherwise, that was pretty much it.

Other construction (??): Robman pointed out some work going on behind the Invertigarden and today from Grizzly we noticed that the area was all leveled out. This is also right directly behind the employee cafe. I have a feeling that this metal storage/special occasion shed will be situated here.

I ended my day with Flight Deck where it could have initially been a 25 minute wait. Since I wasn't in a big hurry I decided to wait for the front row which spanned out to about 40 minutes. Was a fun way to end the day! Now some photos!

Random notes:

-What is AU13 that I was hearing about today? I have no clue, am now curious!

-Highlight of the day was the crazy wall time that had a little bit of airtime mixed in with it

-Grizzly actually didn't appear to hit that 4:00 dispatch time mark!

-Drop Tower's still only running 5 cabins.

IMG_1020.jpg.62634ad782af636b87368b7035f09798.jpg

Rise and shine with some long-ish lines!

IMG_1022.jpg.6d7b9a9c9c64dde1b3c55885dee669c0.jpg

This is what the Grizzly plaza now looks like. I like what they have done, no more pulsing people up in sections.

IMG_1023.jpg.bc2cf8b6135956567c0f501a13078ce3.jpg

Behind the Invertigarden. What's going on??

IMG_1025.jpg.6d6fe25ed221816c3e8bd6ea295b2231.jpg

Coaster construction/prep. Starting off with parking lot this time.

IMG_1028.jpg.559298bc6462cfd1e5d50209fb3dc589.jpg

The food-shaped pads, not much has changed from the other day from what I can tell...perhaps more rebar has been laid out.

IMG_1026.jpg.2e5b5b79c4db2a2f6e078ae138fda3ca.jpg

Check out that lot! This was later in the day.

IMG_1027.jpg.ffa4b11e544cdba79dfddf84fed4cfb6.jpg

Random Peanuts action down at the plaza! I think Nibbler's somewhere down there!

IMG_1031.jpg.faf460973ca1831d34028c55a8656195.jpg

Some more rides on FD, when it decided to go into 'spoiled brat' mode and get stuck. Luckily it was back up and running within 10 minutes. In the mean time, the line moved quite a bit as people left.

IMG_1035.jpg.37eb9277e0c34bc248adc719c22a8cee.jpg

Yup, that's a wrap! Thanks for reading!

fdnight.thumb.jpg.a05c59361c4a36e6045780ab090332e0.jpg

G'night Flight Deck see you in a couple weeks!

airtimeboomerango.jpg.598555413b7d219fe587b4b9d11d9202.jpg

Forgot to add this to the TR, some of the airtime to be had on DownUnder Thunder (Flagg O'Dim and his brother prepping for lift-off!)

It was a really fun day, also got some bad sunburns on my feet where I forgot to put sunscreen. The scariest part of the water slide for me was I had no handles! So I just tried to stick my legs out and plant my feet into the raft so I don't end up on someones lap!

Park's Facebook just posted this:

Who wants more Haunt info? Werewolf Canyon and Cornstalkers will return in 2012 along with a few other surprises that are yet to be announced... However, there is still something much more terrifying planned for 2012. What could it be?

And posted this picture!

So it looks like that plot of land I found when I was at the park last week is indeed being used for a new maze!

318891_10150948787463155_450979907_n.thumb.jpg.129e69b4e0bf566246f70484342a22e4.jpg

So it looks like for sure we'll be seeing Toy Factory, Slaughter House, CarnEvil, CornStalkers, Werewolf Canyon, and Black Widow's Cavern this season. What's coming up and how much more is coming still remains a mystery. I can assume however CB will probably not be making a return (this is 100% pure speculation by the way and can be completely wrong on it) due to construction. My guess also is that CB was probably the least attended as when I went to Haunt on the busiest of nights (That last Saturday of 2011, when the event sold out), Club Blood was literally a walk-on give or take about 10 people ahead of us. All the other mazes all had huge lines. I can also assume that the flattened area (Inverti-slab?) will be home to a new unknown maze, crossing my fingers for a CGA original.

Since WWC is making a return, I'm having hope that there will be some enhancements/improvements to this maze as it was the least 'stand-out' maze for me last season, only visiting it once.

I went to the park today to see if anything has gone on at the construction site and to my surpise, a little bit of progress has been made since last week! The park today was actually the least buiestest I have seen it for a Sunday. Got to the park right at opening and headed to the Star Tower to see the site. Then I went to right side of the park and hit Demon and some of the other rides I thought would have a longer wait later on in the day. Once it was 11 AM I headed to Boomerang Bay and did some of the slides,pool,and lazy river. The water park was dead today, hardly any waits. Although later on in the day it did end up being busy.

Before I post the pictures I would like to let everyone know that I will be working at Haunt this year! I went to the job fair on Saturday and I will be working at Werewolf Canyon! I know this last year the maze wasn't very strong, but this year im hoping that changes!

*Not too many pictures this time, nothing really new to report on.

665662179_CGAGOTWOOD.thumb.jpg.acd837f722096b8f7137e93127882659.jpg

A look at the lot, not really sure if anything has changed at all.

1078925966_OMGCOASTERTHING.thumb.jpg.5ed24039f0679225257bd2ad592aae0a.jpg

So Im not sure of easy it is to see, but they started to place some sort of marking for were the wood will go.

walls.thumb.jpg.3f6779ebdcb0dcf80898ef6ff8f11682.jpg

Last but not least here is a shot of the new wood for the maze.

Cool mini-update!

Yea, those holes/markings look like the spots where those metal brackets are going into to secure the bents once things go vertical, according to what I've seen in SFMM's Apocalypse construction. I'm still confused though as to the rest of the site...looks like portions of it are well ahead compared to others, being the 'curly fry/onion ring' cement slab in the lead. Still seems like quite a ways to go!

And of course, I can't check the SC permit page since it appears to be down at the moment...I've been checking this to see what some of the next steps are...the current being the 'foundation' and previously being the storm drains.

Congrats on the Haunt position! Perhaps, you can spread the word if WWC happens to be lacking.

Gold Striker is surprisingly original for Cedar Fair. I wonder if they will create a mining/gold rush theme to the ride. It won't really fit in with the theme of the park (especially in that immediate area), but still has the potential to be awesome.

This all assumes that they intend to use that name for this ride. It could be the name for a kiddie drop ride at another park for all we know.