TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Most of the rides that will utilize fast lane have had either separate entrances built completely from scratch (Vortex and Demon), or have modified other parts of unused queue lines or exits to accommodate for this. What I like about Cedar Fair's version is it is more like Disney and they will be merging the fast lane with the stand-by entrance, versus Six Flags where most of the Flash Pass rides just use the exit and let people right one which I don't think is right.

On the subject of Vortex, it's really not a bad coaster, just short and could use some serious train work. I've had some spectacular rides on it and some pretty awful ones as well, it really depends on the condition of the train. When the train is locked in and running well, that is a kick A$$ little ride.

Personally, I have never had a decent ride on Vortex. It maybe due to my height, but I want to have kids some day so I avoid it at all costs.

Would fast-passes still be sold during Haunt? From the TRs I've seen, it looks like all the coasters get long lines during that season!

The entire park gets packed during Haunt (We sold out park capacity last season) As far as the fastlane, stay tuned to the site closer to Haunt for those details.

As to Vortex, not sure where that rumor started, but it just had a second queue line added for the fastlane

Most of the rides that will utilize fast lane have had either separate entrances built completely from scratch (Vortex and Demon), or have modified other parts of unused queue lines or exits to accommodate for this. What I like about Cedar Fair's version is it is more like Disney and they will be merging the fast lane with the stand-by entrance, versus Six Flags where most of the Flash Pass rides just use the exit and let people right one which I don't think is right.

That's definitely not the case at SFDK. When they got Lo-Q they modified most the entrances and hired attendants to merge Flash Pass users into the normal queue. Before then they did just let everyone skip the line, but now everyone kind of caught on that that was a bad idea.

I agree it's useful on busy days, but I just don't see a significant ROI when the majority of the days probably won't see a lot of sales. Maybe when the park starts adding some more major rides again and attendance returns to what it was 10 to 12 years ago, then it will be useful.

On the subject of Vortex, it's really not a bad coaster, just short and could use some serious train work. I've had some spectacular rides on it and some pretty awful ones as well, it really depends on the condition of the train. When the train is locked in and running well, that is a kick A$$ little ride.

I agree, I have really good rides on Vortex. The problem is it could be a good or bad ride. I tend to stick my head forward to try to relieve the headbanging. I think that B&M really needs to release new stand-up trains to replace the ones right now, and they can make some money on selling it to the parks that have horrible stand-up trains, like Vekoma's new trains.

I agree it's useful on busy days, but I just don't see a significant ROI when the majority of the days probably won't see a lot of sales.

Lo-Q pays for and builds the infrastructure. Investment is minimal for the park. The park reconfigures a few queues, posts some signage, trains and staffs a few employees. The park gets a cut of the revenue. And what do patrons do when they are not waiting in line for rides? They shop, eat and play games providing incremental revenue.

Remember the typical theme park visitor is quite different from the typical enthusiast.

CGA might not be the ideal park for Lo-Q, outside of busy weekends and special events, but CP should strive for consistency across the chain.

Edited by larrygator

I know it gives the park more revenue, but I really hate these Flash Pass-style systems. One of the reason I like Cedar Fair was because its parks had no cutting line systems as whenever I go to SFDK, Flash Pass always bothers me, constantly makes me late for shows, and really lowers my total experience.

I know it gives the park more revenue, but I really hate these Flash Pass-style systems. One of the reason I like Cedar Fair was because its parks had no cutting line systems as whenever I go to SFDK, Flash Pass always bothers me, constantly makes me late for shows, and really lowers my total experience.

Sounds like a good reason to buy a Flash Pass, or Fast Lane pass.

I'm not sure what the standard protocol is for the virtual queue systems but I do recall during the TPR event, having a Q-bot/Flash Pass user come up through the exit as I was the next in line. The FP user took the row I was to get seated in for that cycle. After they boarded, then the air gates opened and everyone else next in line got on. Was a bit irritating but it was only 1 more cycle.

If I had read these right, these fast pass users supposed to merge with the rest at the station through a special entry point. I noticed Medusa has an entry just to the front of the station, and I believe V2 has one just before the stairs coming up to the station (which was the ride I got Flash Passed out of a seat for that cycle). I guess we'll see how it all comes together once the season gets rolling, and we'll see how many people attempt to abuse the system (and look like a complete idiot in the process) if that's even possible.

As much as I don't like the idea of having someone snag my seat, I look at the long term of things. If it's going to help the park financially then I'm all for it. As much as I will most likely never use it, I don't mind seeing the park being able to bring in some revenue because in the end, a higher income can lead to a successful park and new opportunities.

Personally I am sold on the idea and will be signing up for it this weekend. Why the heck not? It looks like not that many people participated at Great America last year from what I have seen. Hopefully we can make a showing here this year and raise some money and awareness. ...and of course have some fun in the process.

Personally I am sold on the idea and will be signing up for it this weekend. Why the heck not? It looks like not that many people participated at Great America last year from what I have seen. Hopefully we can make a showing here this year and raise some money and awareness. ...and of course have some fun in the process.

We only had about 8 people at Valleyfair! last year, but it was still a great event. The lunch was decent (I'm sure it varies by park) and the T-Shirt was high quality. If you are even thinking about doing the event, seriously go for it!

Plus with smaller crowds, you have a better chance to win the prizes.

I have been known to completely contradict myself going into too much detail, so I'll try to simplify my verdict on Vortex: decently thrilling, but rough. I used to rate it pretty highly, but nowadays I realize it's nothing too special.

Rain still threatening, depending on what news site/channel you check. I've seen from light rain to thunder storms so who knows. Who's still planning on hitting up opening day? I'm going to attempt it and hope for the best. I can live with a drizzle or a couple passing showers. Just don't know if the park will close prematurely as I expect crowds to be light this first weekend, even lighter if rain threatens.

It seems like the rain isn't as bad as the various news stations were making it sound like. Im in San Jose which is about 20 minutes from the park. All the rain we had today was a few light sprinkles. So im expecting the weather to be about the same tomorrow, no matter what I will be at opening day wearing my TPR shirt and most likely a hoodie that says "Internet Killed Television".

Edited by robman

^nice avatar!

Yea, it's been like that in Hayward too, also about 25 minutes north from the park.A very light rain, enough to get you wet if you stayed out without an umbrella long enough. And I'm hearing that showers are likely tomorrow. Meaning we could see some sun trying to peek through. If I happen to make it, I will most likely be sporting a Haunt hoodie, and TPR shirt. It has been a little colder however so the hoodie will be a must.

I just love iPhone's autocorrect feature