TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I guess that makes sense, the current staircase is worn, the wood has seen better days. Maybe they had to replace it because of safety concearns due to its condition. Eh, whatever.

Not the reason behind it, you'll have to wait until opening to find out (No idea if half of what I wrote has any typos, seems this ad placement covers half of my reply...

I guess that makes sense, the current staircase is worn, the wood has seen better days. Maybe they had to replace it because of safety concearns due to its condition. Eh, whatever.

Not the reason behind it, you'll have to wait until opening to find out (No idea if half of what I wrote has any typos, seems this ad placement covers half of my reply...

Oh, so new configuration then?

Weather-wise, it's not looking too good for this weekend...got rain beginning Thursday, spreading into the weekend and into next week...Come on Mother Nature, you had all winter to give us rain but no...you decide to give us rain when it's time for us to start planning outdoor activities.

Being opening day with light crowds and the amount of rain to come, I'm not sure how park operations are going to be (as in possibility of closing prematurely). I do know/am aware of going down to single train operation and the increased technical difficulties...and last I knew/experienced, CGA made their best efforts to keep rides running when it was raining and only had to stop (or did they) when it got too heavy. I just remember the unique experiences riding Drop Tower, Logger's Run, and Invertigo while it was pouring rain...and finally decided to take shelter on the carousel.

All I can do is hope that Sunday will be a 'pause' between storms or the 60% rain will slim down to even 10-20%.

My first thought about the new staircase is for Fast Lane. Kings Island's GM recently tweeted a picture of the footers for a Fast Lane staircase for their Vortex, so I could see other CF parks adding new staircases to accommodate the program.

I can't honestly remember a time where this service was really needed. CGA's lines really don't get that bad, maybe Flight Deck, Vortex and Demon... Otherwise most the rides are quick lines. Invertigo would have benefitted but alas it was heartlessly stolen from us.

I'm curious to see how the Fast Lane performs. I guess those spontaneous busy summer days would be a good reason...plus a single day non pass holder would be most likely to do this. The days I visit however only seem to have 30 minute waits.

And they took the rain out of Sunday!

I think its a great idea for the Fast Lane to be implemented into all of the Cedar Fair parks. Im not sure how busy the park can get during the summer because I tend to go on the off days. I think the system will be awesome during Haunt especially if they have Fright Lane, that would help a lot also.

There will be some days that Fast Lane will be VERY useful here at the park. For example, Spring Celebration, Kababayan Fest, and 4th of July weekend. On these days, rides like Flight Deck, Vortex, and Demon can have 1-2 hour waits, so no doubt Fast Lane will be a big hit. Also during Haunt, where these same rides all have 2-3 hour waits, I can imagine Fast Lane even selling out.

The problem is, those are the most crowded days of the year. Most of the time, the waits are managable. I can imagine that on dead days, people may purchase a Fast Lane pass, only to be disappointed that they didn't really need it because all the coasters were walk ons.

Yea, I forgot about the 'special' days/holidays. But I can definitely see this being a success with Haunt as we've all seen how it was in 2011, and how much more busy it was compared to the same time in 2010. 2012's going to probably see more 'selling out' days with what few Haunt days there are.

As far as any other day, I can see the Fast Lane as an 'ok' thing to do on a mid summer Saturday. Some may just not have the patience for waiting 30 minutes, and some may just want to skip the lines altogether for the novelty of "I don't have to wait in line today! I can cut everyone and get away with it!" Also, good for those who aren't regular visitors of CGA who feel the need to jam everything in a single day as it will be a couple years from that visit that they'll be there again.

I don't see the Fast Lane being as much as a 'must have' for Sundays, when I usually go as my longest waits for the popular rides (excluding Psycho Mouse) are under 30 minutes and usually are just a 3-cycle wait... But I could be wrong. We'll see as the season unfolds.

I was a bit surprised when Cedar Fair announced every park would be getting Fast Lane since a few of them (including CGA) don't seem like they need it. However, I guess on the rare crowded day it could be worthwhile. Both times I've visited the park (both July weekdays) the longest line outside of the waterpark was about 15 minutes. I'm glad to see that the pass will include the non-coaster rides that actually had a significant wait on my visit (namely Barney Oldfield, Logger's Run, and the Skyride), and I could see Flight Deck and Psycho Mouse as benefitting from it (every other coaster that they currently have was a walk-on on both visits). Why they are using it for shows, however, is beyond me.

Most of the rides that will utilize fast lane have had either separate entrances built completely from scratch (Vortex and Demon), or have modified other parts of unused queue lines or exits to accommodate for this. What I like about Cedar Fair's version is it is more like Disney and they will be merging the fast lane with the stand-by entrance, versus Six Flags where most of the Flash Pass rides just use the exit and let people right one which I don't think is right.

Most of the rides that will utilize fast lane have had either separate entrances built completely from scratch (Vortex and Demon), or have modified other parts of unused queue lines or exits to accommodate for this. What I like about Cedar Fair's version is it is more like Disney and they will be merging the fast lane with the stand-by entrance, versus Six Flags where most of the Flash Pass rides just use the exit and let people right one which I don't think is right.

That's definitely not the case at SFDK. When they got Lo-Q they modified most the entrances and hired attendants to merge Flash Pass users into the normal queue. Before then they did just let everyone skip the line, but now everyone kind of caught on that that was a bad idea.

I agree it's useful on busy days, but I just don't see a significant ROI when the majority of the days probably won't see a lot of sales. Maybe when the park starts adding some more major rides again and attendance returns to what it was 10 to 12 years ago, then it will be useful.

On the subject of Vortex, it's really not a bad coaster, just short and could use some serious train work. I've had some spectacular rides on it and some pretty awful ones as well, it really depends on the condition of the train. When the train is locked in and running well, that is a kick ass little ride.