TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Hopefully that information is all current and not just recycled from the past. More importantly, hopefully the plans won't change too drastically (unless for the better). I like the look of that cloverleaf layout.

The paper almost seems over-confident; then again, if they have good reason to be, that's great!

That is a very good look!

Scheduled to debut in 2013, the Great Coasters International wooden coaster would send riders whirling into a one-of-a-kind twist around the Star Tower observation deck near the park's entrance, officials confirmed.

Sounds good to me, maybe this time it's for real.

They did last year, after the Invertigo removal. It seems that maybe they got their info from here and from today's report from Screamscape. It's kind of amazing how the word gets around just from posting on TPR and sending some info to Screamscape

But yea, LA Times seems to have a lot of insider info, much like the time they leaked out the info for the Six Flags parks the day before Six Flags was to announce them.

^Even still, it's not official yet. As a friend of mine was pointing out, The L.A. Times isn't a completely reliable news source for coaster news. They made claims last year making it sound like a coaster was coming in 2012, but that clearly didn't happen. Having access to a press release that a company WANTED to be posted everywhere put up a few hours before it was suppose to doesn't mean that the L.A. Times has insider, Amusment Industry information for everything. We'll have to wait and see. I'm still glad to see this happening, however.

^Exactly...I'm not taking LA Time's word for it as they're making things sound like it's a go while our initial discussion on here was about how the project still exists and appears to be coming out of it's cave for some fresh air and some potential new obstacles as I'm sure the whole voting process has to happen again.

Plus, the permit page did note about 'revised plans' while LA Times is posing this as the same exact coaster using the 2007 IAAPA photos. Like mentioned, I'm glad we are seeing some light and what appears to be smooth track at the end of this bumpy dark roller coaster ride.

Screamscape's 2/16 report (as I just now read) notes this:

Screamscape sources have confirmed that CGA’s plan is indeed to revive the old GCI wooden coaster plans, pretty much as is. The project was so far along when it was stalled out by noise complaint concerns years ago, that it is said to have a complete set of plans and ready to go into production as soon as they get the permits.

I wonder who/what their sources are.

I really hope this pans out. Would be great for the park. The neighbor complaints just amaze me. Why build your office next to a theme park if you don't want to hear it? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Glad to hear it's the same layout, I was pretty excited to see this one come to fruition.

With this built there would be even more of a reason to replace Grizzly.

With a GIGA!....

HAH, there putting a descent amount of work into Grizzly, I doubt they are going to get rid of it any time soon. Being my first woodie, it holds an unworthy special place in my heart, but then my 2nd woodie ever is the Giant Dipper at SCBB, which is so awesome...

I am anxiously waiting for the voting etc. to happen on this new coaster, and hope like hell it's true. Maybe I can actually have a reason to go to my "home park", even though I'd much rather call SFMM at 4 hours away my home park.

With a GIGA!....

HAH, there putting a descent amount of work into Grizzly, I doubt they are going to get rid of it any time soon. Being my first woodie, it holds an unworthy special place in my heart, but then my 2nd woodie ever is the Giant Dipper at SCBB, which is so awesome...

I am anxiously waiting for the voting etc. to happen on this new coaster, and hope like hell it's true. Maybe I can actually have a reason to go to my "home park", even though I'd much rather call SFMM at 4 hours away my home park.

I feel the same way. I was a ride op for Grizzly in '89 when it actually was fun, I would be sad to see it go but happy for what could replace it. The park needs to put in this GCII coaster, get attendance back up, and work on a few other things before they should spend the money to replace it. With the work being done on it now they should keep it for a few years or so since they spent this money on it. Maybe put in another coaster first before replacing it.

I kind of feel like Grizzly is this weird badge of honor for the park. It's such an infamous ride that you kinda want it to stay. Plus why rip it out when it could stay and we could potentially build something else somewhere else? Get rid of that ugly amphitheater and put something out there, or maybe an indoor/outdoor Eurofighter in the old IMAX building. Anyone remember the Addams Family coaster concept from like 10 years ago?

With Grizzly, I think it would be outstanding to see them do topper track on it or get some PTCs (or both) and it would probably be a decent family ride. I know it was a good starter for me when I was little.

With a GIGA!....

I feel the same way. I was a ride op for Grizzly in '89 when it actually was fun, I would be sad to see it go but happy for what could replace it. The park needs to put in this GCII coaster, get attendance back up, and work on a few other things before they should spend the money to replace it. With the work being done on it now they should keep it for a few years or so since they spent this money on it. Maybe put in another coaster first before replacing it.

I keep on saying this. Grizzly is NOT going anywhere anytime soon. It is one of the most popular rides in the park and they are spending TONS of money on re-tracking. The GCI coaster is NOT replacing it, for instance did Renegade replace High Roller or did Prowler replace Timber Wolf? No.

Nobody ever said the CGI coaster was replacing Grizzly. What I meant by the first post was if they put in the CGI there would be two wood coasters so if they pulled out Grizzly there would still be one wood coaster in the park and between the two Grizzly would not be the better one so there's a reason tok take it out. An d obviously if this new coaster goes in next season (in A DIFFERENT SPOT) and with the retracking being done they would not be taking it out.

I forgot where I saw it, not sure if it was here or elsewhere but I do remember seeing some low-res image of another proposed spot for the coaster, dominating the Redwood Amphitheater spot...which is probably more north than the Whizzer site or Flight Deck. But we've got a ways to go anyway. At this point, it is however fun to try and guess where the coaster could be.

Yeah, it was on here, I had found the image in one of the city council planning sessions and posted it on here a while back. I went back and looked for the post to re-share it again. Wonder if they are still considering using the amphitheater site as a back up though, since the attached is from 2008.

^

The thing about that original location, doesn't it build right to the edge of the road, putting that monster turnaround right up against office buildings (okay, there's a set of parking garages too) that sit on Great America Parkway? I could see why this didn't fly, although I don't know how far noise really travels.

Those towers used to hold business consulting firms like Avaya back in 2008, but it may be easier now to get this passed now that Nortel has packed up its bag, one of those towers is empty and looking for a tenant. I could understand the owners of the property putting on airs though about being able to find a tenant for a building with a white-knuckle ride racing by the windows, but there's a chance.

I forgot where I saw it, not sure if it was here or elsewhere but I do remember seeing some low-res image of another proposed spot for the coaster, dominating the Redwood Amphitheater spot...which is probably more north than the Whizzer site or Flight Deck. But we've got a ways to go anyway. At this point, it is however fun to try and guess where the coaster could be.

Yeah, it was on here, I had found the image in one of the city council planning sessions and posted it on here a while back. I went back and looked for the post to re-share it again. Wonder if they are still considering using the amphitheater site as a back up though, since the attached is from 2008.

Wait, how does that location work near Redwood Amphitheater unless they get rid of it entirely?

Grizzly most likely wouldn't be taken out. I heard from ride op's that it actually has a decent wait during haunt. It's a big beginner coaster. So little kids can go on it and be like I went on a big coaster. Now let's say they did take it out I would like something like sky rocket at kennywood to go in.

Besides, it seems pretty common for Cedar Fair parks to have two woodies with big differences in quality between them. See Prowler and Timber Wolf, Renegade and High Roller, Blue Streak and Mean Streak, Shivering Timbers and Wolverine Wildcat, etc. The contrasts (which I'm just basing off of popular opinion) can almost be a bit comical.