TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

It's great to see this park getting some TLC. I'm glad Cedar Fair decided to spend some money on it despite the events over the past few months. It seems to demonstrate they are serious about improving this park even though they can't just toss in a new major attraction this season.

Yea, I'm excited. While I'm not expecting a Leviathan or Intimidator-ish coaster anytime soon, I can see something mid-sized coming. What's interesting is that CF categorizes CGA in the middle of the bunch, attendance-wise...along with VF, WoF, DP, and KD. Poor MiA sits at the bottom of the barrel.

In the article NewsPlusNotes posted, I believe from a Cedar Fair conference call, the new CEO said the water parks will be expanded as you can add more for less money, but he didn't name specific parks, if thats what you were referring to.

Expanding water parks add much value for less cost than a big ride, so they are favored.

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2012/01/cedar-fair-is-looking-fun-forward.html

My highlight in Boomerang Bay is the Boomerango slide. I've had some great moments on that slide from catching some decent air over that small hump (and the worker amazed at watching my raft go airborne) to going down the exit run fast enough to hit the dry portion of the rubber pads, only to stop suddenly and get dumped out of the raft.

I'm just trying to figure out where else could they possibly fit stuff in Boomerang Bay. Some thoughts are in that patch of area at the north end of the lazy river, or if they could possibly build anything off the Didgeridoo Falls tower and utilize all of that dirt area around the log flume. Perhaps, a path could be built running along the south side of the swim lagoon, where the strip of cabanas stand now. Of course, a bridge would have to be made to cross over the flume.

I don't know if that center island could be used for a nice slide tower (for a couple speed slides), or build anything off of the Manteca Waterslides tower, or use the adjacent plot next to the rapids reservoir.

Crude photoshopping/painting to illustrate my point(s) below:

cgaboombay.jpg.cbabf9b0fbc1ca7b54fc8a05cfa8a61d.jpg

^ There is room for new slide, but the question is what slide? You could probably fit any Proslide bowl into the Didgeridoo Falls tower, and if you wanted to go big, you might be able to fit a Proslide rocket( or any water coaster) in the plots of land in and near the lazy river.

I don't know if that center island could be used for a nice slide tower (for a couple speed slides), or build anything off of the Manteca Waterslides tower, or use the adjacent plot next to the rapids reservoir.

Whoa.... CGA has stuff from Manteca waterslides? Totally awesome!!! I remember that park! Mainly the catchy commercials... but we visited the park only once before it got wiped off the map.

/side note. Carry on.

Whoa.... CGA has stuff from Manteca waterslides? Totally awesome!!! I remember that park! Mainly the catchy commercials... but we visited the park only once before it got wiped off the map.

/side note. Carry on.

Now I have the song stuck in my head..."Manteca Water Slides..."

Yea, the 2 Manteca slides are the 2 body slides, Screamin' Wombat and Ripsnort Ridge.

www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36113

And to think I thought CGA actually got three brand new slides in one year! Silly me; I should have known two of them were used.

One thing that I find to be a bit headscratching is that CGA is placed in the same category attendence-wise as Dorney Park. Yet, Dorney has receieved plenty of new rides in the past few years, even if many of them were used. (one of them being from CGA). Why has CF kept investing into Dorney, while placing only a couple flat rides at CGA?

^Really? Water slides are so easy to fit into tight spots. Like already mentioned they can build off of the main slide complex. Just like it's been stated everywhere else on this site, if a park wants something, they'll find a way to get it.

And to think I thought CGA actually got three brand new slides in one year! Silly me; I should have known two of them were used.

One thing that I find to be a bit headscratching is that CGA is placed in the same category attendence-wise as Dorney Park. Yet, Dorney has receieved plenty of new rides in the past few years, even if many of them were used. (one of them being from CGA). Why has CF kept investing into Dorney, while placing only a couple flat rides at CGA?

The answer is simple. CF had every intention of dumping the park, mostly due to a bad, landlocked location and their fights with the city over the stadium deal. So Kinzel made the decision not to invest in it. The new CEO seems to have other intentions.

It doesn't matter how much your attendance is when your park revenues are extremely low. When adjusted for EBITDA CGA's is the lowest in the chain, even lower than Michigan's Adventure.

1995570669_Picture56.png.757bd96989356acd76eabb41ac8ec650.png

From Cedar Fair's recent investor presentation.

^ Very good point. What in the world would a typical CGA guest spend money on once in the park? Season passes? Why, there's nothing there to justify a second visit. Overpriced food? No way. Merchandise? What, another Grizzly mug? Clearance Invertigo t-shirts?

Hopefully The new team has a plan to make CGA a profitable park again, similar to what Shapiro and Jay Thomas had to do to overcome SFMM's horrible reputation.