TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I actually think I heard something mentioned from CGA during the Q&A when one of us asked about Boomerang Bay and using the empty pools. I think I heard something to the extent of some form of wear and tear, shoe prints, definitely some trash, and possible damage to come along with the wear and tear. Anyone else at Bay Area Weekend this past summer recall, want to confirm?

even pool cleaners do not wear shoes when cleaning pools, the shoes WILL permanently damage the ground of the pool. There's actually a lot of places that we can add things for Haunt. I've heard some of the ideas for this season but once again I am not at liberty to discuss any details as at this point they are still just ideas.

even pool cleaners do not wear shoes when cleaning pools, the shoes WILL permanently damage the ground of the pool. There's actually a lot of places that we can add things for Haunt. I've heard some of the ideas for this season but once again I am not at liberty to discuss any details as at this point they are still just ideas.

Though, the pool is made of concrete, right. So, the pools will have as much damage as people walking on sidewalks, don't see much damage on the sidewalks.

Pools do have a special surface on them. It's not just straight concrete. I can see that wearing shoes could ruin the pools, but there are ways to avoid that if they're willing to spend the money to make it happen. I realize that it most likely won't happen, but it would be cool if it did.

I had to wear shoes when cleaning the empty pools/rivers at Cedar Point so I take it you guys must do something different out there? But I guess I can see a large number of traffic over the pools doing some damage.

You could use the lazy river and wavepool for haunt events, and people to walk through(as mentioned, other parks do). You would have to cover the grates (like they do for running events), but the biggest issue is the paint. That's probably why most places don't. They could end up having to repaint the entire surface every year. Pool paint is very expensive, so it is probably too cost prohibitive for most of them. Sometimes you can't just paint over the section that is damaged. We tried it, and halfway through the season it started peeling like crazy. It looked terrible, and started tricking the lifeguards in thinking someone was laying on the bottom. Some runners and carpets could possibly work, but the problem is that when dust and grit get in-between the mats and paint, it starts acting like sandpaper.

Ok from actually seeing people make a normal pool in my backyard they had to wear special shoes to not damage the bottom. Also from being in certain areas of hotel water parks when it's closed for the night, the ground is sort of spongy so it's not straight up concrete. Also from working black out from black widows cavern there is very few lights in boomerang bay. It's spooky in itself and security actually found people hiding in there during one their sweeps after haunt.

If you read the transcript and the q&a it explains what is going to happen to cga.

Im glad that the Demon is finally getting its much needed paint job! I expect it to really shine once it is all done with the process. The park also mentioned that the Grizzly is getting worked on once again as well. Im hoping that they are a addressing that second turn around slam that seems to happen.

Im glad that the Demon is finally getting its much needed paint job! I expect it to really shine once it is all done with the process. The park also mentioned that the Grizzly is getting worked on once again as well. Im hoping that they are a addressing that second turn around slam that seems to happen.

I believe it's called an "Arrow"; Arrow transition to be exact.

Arrow transitions = something shaped and modeled off of wire coat hangers!

I'm looking forward to 2012...the repaints, enjoying the park, Haunt, and what other improvements they could have up their sleeves (not referring to a new ride, but just overall park operation improvements, etc.

Since they were marking down all of their CGA Cedar Fair branded merch last season in the light of the JMA takeover (and flake-over), perhaps there will be fresh new goods in the shops this season.