TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

ANY type of ride would help this park out. Eurofighter, Wooden, Hyper, Vertical Drop Coaster(Thirteen), Dive Machine, ANYTHING would help this park out. Even a relocated ride would boost attendance! For example, the general public thought, and still think to this day, that Green Lantern at SFGAdv is a newly manufactured ride. The comments on the Construction progress was pretty funny actually but anyways, the public figures if you throw a new coat of paint on a ride, give it a new name, maybe add some theming it is a new ride. Although it really isn't a new ride, the public thinks it is. If Vertigo was still there and they renamed it Stinger and gave it a new coat of paint, they think it's a new ride!

ANY type of ride would help this park out. Eurofighter, Wooden, Hyper, Vertical Drop Coaster(Thirteen), Dive Machine, ANYTHING would help this park out. Even a relocated ride would boost attendance! For example, the general public thought, and still think to this day, that Green Lantern at SFGAdv is a newly manufactured ride. The comments on the Construction progress was pretty funny actually but anyways, the public figures if you throw a new coat of paint on a ride, give it a new name, maybe add some theming it is a new ride. Although it really isn't a new ride, the public thinks it is. If Vertigo was still there and they renamed it Stinger and gave it a new coat of paint, they think it's a new ride!

Well, first of all it is Invertigo, not Vertigo.

Though, I think a Dive Machine would be a really good addition to the park, make it 220' tall (up to height limit), cost $16 million (Not very pricy for a large coaster), and around 3300' in length (doesn't take up much space).

They need to repaint their coasters...First and Last Time I went was when it was simply call Great America in 2007 and I really hated the fact that demon and top gun and simply black and vortex all faded

I believe Vortex was re-painted recently, maybe the 2007/2008 off-season because the paint on that is okay. Top Gun/Flight Deck seems like it wasn't re-painted since 2000. Demon looks like it was re-painted in the 2007/2008 off-season too since the corkscrews looks nicely painted. Psycho Mouse has probably never been re-painted as it is a dull yellow and dull teal color. Also, with CGA's coasters, I think they need an upgrade to the 21st century with more theming with Vortex, Demon, and Flight Deck. Flight Deck has good theming, though it seems like it is slowly falling apart and you can tell it is from the 90s.

I've been doing CGA on a regular basis since 2007. Vortex looked a bit faded then. I do know Vortex received its new colors in 1998-99, along with Tidal Wave's rename and new color way.

The one coaster that can use some TLC visually is Demon. The bottom of the first drop has chipped off paint, bearing either a primer or what I call "Turn of the Century white." and the reds a bit faded, looks less 'demonic.'

^Those are Vekoma trains, and Demon is an Arrow. It wouldn't be impossible, but I couldn't see that happening.

^Considering Arrow trains can run on Vekoma track, I would assume Vekoma trains would be able to run on Arrow track.

Up into the late 80s/early 90s, Arrow made trains for Vekoma coasters. Many operators (Canada's Wonderland, for example) took a spare Arrow train and used it on their Vekoma coaster (The Bat at CW, for example, has the third train from Dragon Fyre).

Nowadays, Vekoma will still build Arrow-gauge trains- as is KumbaK ltd. With Gerstlauer moving into the 'new train' business, it's not ruled out that we could see Gerstlauer trains as well.

^Those are Vekoma trains, and Demon is an Arrow. It wouldn't be impossible, but I couldn't see that happening.

^Considering Arrow trains can run on Vekoma track, I would assume Vekoma trains would be able to run on Arrow track.

Up into the late 80s/early 90s, Arrow made trains for Vekoma coasters. Many operators (Canada's Wonderland, for example) took a spare Arrow train and used it on their Vekoma coaster (The Bat at CW, for example, has the third train from Dragon Fyre).

Nowadays, Vekoma will still build Arrow-gauge trains- as is KumbaK ltd. With Gerstlauer moving into the 'new train' business, it's not ruled out that we could see Gerstlauer trains as well.

To be honest I can't see CF putting that kind of money into a roller coaster as old as the Demon.

Honestly, I think the Demon could use the "New Texas Giant treatment". No, not the Iron Horse track, but to re-do the coaster by putting in new track, better theming, and a whole better experience and market it as a new ride. For new track, Vekoma doesn't really need to do it, something like Premier track would work.

Honestly, I think the Demon could use the "New Texas Giant treatment". No, not the Iron Horse track, but to re-do the coaster by putting in new track, better theming, and a whole better experience and market it as a new ride. For new track, Vekoma doesn't really need to do it, something like Premier track would work.

I would be happy just to see all of the original Demon theming return to tell you the truth, but I honestly think the only large investment CF is willing to put into that roller coaster would be the cost to tear it down at this point in time

I too would love to see some of the theming back, or a little more 'upscale' theming for the Demon. The rope Christmas lights in the tunnel seem kind of awkward like someone just went to Walmart, bought a strand of rope light and strung it up in the pre-lift tunnel. Now that other tunnel...what used to use lights, I heard that the GP would end up throwing things at the bulbs causing them to shatter. Replacing hundreds of bulbs can seem to be costly and a nuisance. However, what would be cool is to have a strobe fire in that tunnel.

Does anyone know why they removed the rock formations around the 2 loops?

I believe Vortex was re-painted recently, maybe the 2007/2008 off-season because the paint on that is okay. Top Gun/Flight Deck seems like it wasn't re-painted since 2000. Demon looks like it was re-painted in the 2007/2008 off-season too since the corkscrews looks nicely painted. Psycho Mouse has probably never been re-painted as it is a dull yellow and dull teal color. Also, with CGA's coasters, I think they need an upgrade to the 21st century with more theming with Vortex, Demon, and Flight Deck. Flight Deck has good theming, though it seems like it is slowly falling apart and you can tell it is from the 90s.

Are you sure you didn't mean 1997/1998 off season for Vortex's repaint? Seriously, I highly doubt it's ever gotten a repaint since it switched to yellow/purple. The track is white, and the "purple" is pink at this point. It looks pretty shabby.

I wish CGA would actually repaint something. When Woodstock's Express got a new paint job in 2010, it looked like a brand new coaster, and still does today.

I too would love to see some of the theming back, or a little more 'upscale' theming for the Demon. The rope Christmas lights in the tunnel seem kind of awkward like someone just went to Walmart, bought a strand of rope light and strung it up in the pre-lift tunnel. Now that other tunnel...what used to use lights, I heard that the GP would end up throwing things at the bulbs causing them to shatter. Replacing hundreds of bulbs can seem to be costly and a nuisance. However, what would be cool is to have a strobe fire in that tunnel.

What I had heard is that they were starting to fall apart and pieces were dropping off when the trains would rumble by . . . there were tarps on the underside for the last couple of years they were there to catch any falling debris and I am guessing the cost to fix them up to prevent that from happening was too high so they scrapped them

Are you sure you didn't mean 1997/1998 off season for Vortex's repaint? Seriously, I highly doubt it's ever gotten a repaint since it switched to yellow/purple. The track is white, and the "purple" is pink at this point. It looks pretty shabby.

I wish CGA would actually repaint something. When Woodstock's Express got a new paint job in 2010, it looked like a brand new coaster, and still does today.

Vortex's paint isn't that old, the paint isn't getting dull.

Some programmable, multicolored led lights would work well in the tunnel. They could be programmed for an awesome light show, would sit almost flush with the wall, and would last a long time.

I think it's quite premature to start celebrating rides yet... Remember. that is a SCC recommended expansion budget... and not a realistic one at that.

Fanboys: Remove thy head from the ground, and breathe the fine air of reality: The budget is not going to get blown on one ride. I could see: 1.) A set of flats, along with some basic park improvements.

2.) A small junior/midsized coaster (Perhaps a Vekoma Mk700) with family appeal - as well as another flat.

3.) A restored relocated coaster from another CF park- PLUS two flats.

Either way you look at it: I don't see any big-scale coasters coming to Great America. It doesn't make sense to. Nor does it make sense to try and even fantasize about it... you're setting yourselves up for serious disappointment.

You're making this seem like Michigan's Adventure. CGA already has enough flats and already has two family coasters: Woodstock Express & Psycho Mouse

I do expect a major roller coaster because look at SFA, they finally got Apocalypse, sure most parks think of this as a horrible addition, but they got something. I do expect somewhat of a major coaster because CGA is in competition with SFDK, and the problem is that a lot people I know go all the way to SFDK from the South Bay rather than going to CGA which is in their "backyard". Why?

Teens - CGA doesn't have as much thrills as SFDK

Families - CGA has no animals, let's go to SFDK! (or Happy Hollow for really small kids).

CGA cannot compete with the family atmosphere because there already is two family amusement parks: Happy Hollow & Gilroy Gardens. Though. CGA can compete in thrills. If they spent money on that GCI coaster, around $10 million in investment, advertise it like crazy just like how SFDK did with Sky Screamer, than the attendance would skyrocket.

When comparing CGA to SFA it's kind of a mute point as the two parks are run by two different companies with their own business strategies,had SFI not come under new ownership then 2012 would be another waterpark add on for SFA if they were lucky & IW would've simply been scrapped rather than relocated.

Still CGA could do well to see some new developments made,the park cannot survive in it's current state unless new rides/attractions are added as an incentive to draw people back to the park.

^ awesome photo I really which the Whizzer could have been saved

Thanks! I came across it on accident actually and I asked my mom (she took them back in the late 70s) if I could scan them and clean them up. Yeah, it would of been neat had they saved the Whizzer and not taken it out, along with so much more that has disappeared from the park over time.

^ awesome photo I really which the Whizzer could have been saved

Thanks! I came across it on accident actually and I asked my mom (she took them back in the late 70s) if I could scan them and clean them up. Yeah, it would of been neat had they saved the Whizzer and not taken it out, along with so much more that has disappeared from the park over time.

While we lost one of His great works with the removal of Whizzer- it still lives on- as an 'organ donor' of sorts for several other Speedracers throughout the world.

The same can be said (to a lesser extent) for Tidal Wave/Greezed Lighting from CGA as well: It gave its life for the other Tidal wave at SFKK (SBNO).

For me, a rather um, well, devout Schwarzkopf Believer, it is always sad to see the loss of such great rides- they provided a good, solid intermediate thrill for everyone. However, in the end these rides live/lived on for far longer than I think anybody could ever expect.

If we'd had the same preservation efforts 'then' as we do now, I think we could have seen Whizzer live on- which is why these -very- rare coaster credits need our attention: What we consider 'average' today could become extinct without a moments notice: Imagine CGA without TopDeck Aftergun, or Vortex. (While these aren't 'endangered' species yet, it's sort of like how the skyline at CGA was the year after Whizzer was removed: It wouldn't feel right.). Fortunately, people did stand up when there as a thread to remove Whizzer's twin at SFGAm, and we still have that model still around: The last of the SpeedRacers in the United States.

Great picture, too: Whizzer will always to me be a gem that never got the attention it deserved.