TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

This sounds like great news, atleast things are starting to look pretty stable for the park now. So, how 'bouts a new coaster? Cedar Fair? Neighbors? Naw, screw the neighbors.

On a slightly random note, I had a CGA dream last night that they were doing some pass holder offseason visit, where Drop Tower was the only ride open for us. The park had installed 5 additional drop towers surrounding the original tower, each with 6 cabins, and they were able to heighten all the towers to 300 feet. So we get on our ride, get ready for dispatch when a GP tries squeezing out of his restraints multiple times, and we had multiple e-stops. In the dream, I kept yelling a certain brand of vehicle (that rhymes with cheap) and security kicked the idiot out. Yes, a weird dream. Who would have thought of a park with 6 300-foot Intamin towers all placed in a circle?

Under which of these scenarios would new be likely to enhance a car that your brother has "loaned" you?

Your brother tells you can borrow his car at any time, but you know he can take it back at any time.

or

Your brother tells you can have has car until it comes time to sell it. But he when he sells it, if you made enhancements that help the resale value he'll kick back some money to you.

Edited by larrygator

I think it's quite premature to start celebrating rides yet... Remember. that is a SCC recommended expansion budget... and not a realistic one at that.

Fanboys: Remove thy head from the ground, and breathe the fine air of reality: The budget is not going to get blown on one ride. I could see: 1.) A set of flats, along with some basic park improvements.

2.) A small junior/midsized coaster (Perhaps a Vekoma Mk700) with family appeal - as well as another flat.

3.) A restored relocated coaster from another CF park- PLUS two flats.

Either way you look at it: I don't see any big-scale coasters coming to Great America. It doesn't make sense to. Nor does it make sense to try and even fantasize about it... you're setting yourselves up for serious disappointment.

I think it's quite premature to start celebrating rides yet... Remember. that is a SCC recommended expansion budget... and not a realistic one at that.

Fanboys: Remove thy head from the ground, and breathe the fine air of reality: The budget is not going to get blown on one ride. I could see: 1.) A set of flats, along with some basic park improvements.

2.) A small junior/midsized coaster (Perhaps a Vekoma Mk700) with family appeal - as well as another flat.

3.) A restored relocated coaster from another CF park- PLUS two flats.

Either way you look at it: I don't see any big-scale coasters coming to Great America. It doesn't make sense to. Nor does it make sense to try and even fantasize about it... you're setting yourselves up for serious disappointment.

You're making this seem like Michigan's Adventure. CGA already has enough flats and already has two family coasters: Woodstock Express & Psycho Mouse

I do expect a major roller coaster because look at SFA, they finally got Apocalypse, sure most parks think of this as a horrible addition, but they got something. I do expect somewhat of a major coaster because CGA is in competition with SFDK, and the problem is that a lot people I know go all the way to SFDK from the South Bay rather than going to CGA which is in their "backyard". Why?

Teens - CGA doesn't have as much thrills as SFDK

Families - CGA has no animals, let's go to SFDK! (or Happy Hollow for really small kids).

CGA cannot compete with the family atmosphere because there already is two family amusement parks: Happy Hollow & Gilroy Gardens. Though. CGA can compete in thrills. If they spent money on that GCI coaster, around $10 million in investment, advertise it like crazy just like how SFDK did with Sky Screamer, than the attendance would skyrocket.

You're making this seem like Michigan's Adventure. CGA already has enough flats and already has two family coasters: Woodstock Express & Psycho Mouse

I do expect a major roller coaster because look at SFA, they finally got Apocalypse, sure most parks think of this as a horrible addition, but they got something. I do expect somewhat of a major coaster because CGA is in competition with SFDK, and the problem is that a lot people I know go all the way to SFDK from the South Bay rather than going to CGA which is in their "backyard". Why?

Teens - CGA doesn't have as much thrills as SFDK

Families - CGA has no animals, let's go to SFDK! (or Happy Hollow for really small kids).

CGA cannot compete with the family atmosphere because there already is two family amusement parks: Happy Hollow & Gilroy Gardens. Though. CGA can compete in thrills. If they spent money on that GCI coaster, around $10 million in investment, advertise it like crazy just like how SFDK did with Sky Screamer, than the attendance would skyrocket.

I'm going to repeat myself: You're setting yourself up for major disappointment.

1.) Attendance will not skyrocket. It didn't following Stealth- nor did it following Psychomouse. The attendance has been, pretty much for 20 years, as flat as the salt beds in Utah.

2.) The budget is for RIDES over 10 years. 'POOF'. There went your fanboy-coaster. It's gone, off to a faraway place, called REALITYLAND.

3.) Cedar Fair may have taken back the park, but that does not guarantee an expansion- or for that matter any real change in the park's operation status and schedule for expansion. From the financial documents, Cedar Fair is looking at this as being a cash-cow: Needs very little feeding, and lease costs are dirt cheap all things considered.

4.) Teens have never, and will never, make up a financial demographic for a theme park. Never have, never will. Why? THEY DON'T HAVE M-O-N-E-Y.Teens are for the most part the lowest scale demographic for a park, as many enter on their pre-paid season pass, spend a few hours and leave, without dropping any money into the parks' coffers. To a park chain, you get the guests in who ARE dropping money: Families of all demographics, and adults 25-49: The ones WITH money. The ones who are buying the food, wine and beer. The ones paying to act like they're 19 again on the swing. The ones who HAVE M-O-N-E-Y.

5.) Gilroy Gardens IS a Cedar-Fair managed property- and is marketed along with Great America as a fellow park. BOTH have Family rides, and attractions, and in all reality, the Planet Snoopy renovations make Great America even more family-friendly. Thus, those kiddies aren't going "I want to see animals" at SFDK... they're going "I want to see SNOOPY!" at Great America. Guess which one has more Star-power? It's not the whales in Vallejo. It's the Beagle in Santa Clara.

I don't want to seem like I hate Great America: I don't. I like the park, I love the rides, and yes the park needs some form of development. But I'm also -realistic- and look at the grand scheme of things, too. It's the over-obsessed fanboy fantasies that end up in disappointment at the end of the day- when the 'It's coming! It's Coming! I heard from the dippin' dots guy it's coming!" fanboys are crying when they don't get their fantasy coaster.

1.) Attendance will not skyrocket. It didn't following Stealth- nor did it following Psychomouse. The attendance has been, pretty much for 20 years, as flat as the salt beds in Utah.

And to build on this point, an attendance boost does not greatly impact the bottom line if the rotations of the turnstiles are a function of local teens or enthusiasts with season passes visiting more often. There is little increased revenue, as this demographic tends to spend less money in the park.

I don't see CGA getting the minimalist treatment, but I don't see anything extremely large coming either (no hyper/giga). I see something mid-sized much like the GCI or something in the 100ft range.

And please don't say "Maverick Clone," as an exact clone of Maverick will not fit. A maverick-like coaster on the other hand...

I don't see CGA getting the minimalist treatment, but I don't see anything extremely large coming either (no hyper/giga). I see something mid-sized much like the GCI or something in the 100ft range.

And please don't say "Maverick Clone," as an exact clone of Maverick will not fit. A maverick-like coaster on the other hand...

That would be perfect.

Let's not forget about the new CEO people. We don't know exactly what he is going to do. We are going on the dick kinzel era. From what I heard is that the new CEO wants to make cedar fair more disneyish. More family oriented and theming. Also wanting to add hidden snoopys. Plus cga has more of a shot to become a good park for families. Small coasters that pack a punch I could see coming. Like sky rocket at kennywood.

Happy hollow is not comparable because of two things. It does not get a lot of people, it is a historical landmark so it's not going anywhere period. The biggest thing that I see go into happy hollow is the walk n wag.

I apologize if my post is scatter brained I am extremely tired and literally typed what I was thinking. Basically I needed to get that out of my system to be able to sleep. Sleep time.

It's the over-obsessed fanboy fantasies that end up in disappointment at the end of the day- when the 'It's coming! It's Coming! I heard from the dippin' dots guy it's coming!" fanboys are crying when they don't get their fantasy coaster.

I don't see a problem with this. Of course there's going to be unrealistic hopes for the park, but wild speculations are a whole lot more fun than the thought of no additions and/or more ride removals.

I think anyone who's hoping for a dramatic new addition understands and is prepared for disappointment, since that's what's been happening with this park lately.

^ Agreed. Just a few months ago we were hearing the doom and gloomers saying the park was done, and were already selling off rides and turning the area into a strip mall. Well guess what? That didn't happen. So I'm not going to buy into any more "theories" about this park's future other than the people who run it.

If fans want to get excited about what may or may not happen down the road, I think that's healthy optimism (whithin reson of course). I think most of us can and have handled disappointment, it's not going to destroy anyone. To me it's no less valid than taking the opposite view that the park will just sit on idle and do very little. I'm a little tired of extremes either way at this point. No the park isn't going to build everyone's dream Intamin launcher. But I don't think a small GCI is out of the picture either. And there is more evidence of the latter anyway seeing as they have already attempted it.

I think the pass renewal is still the same as what I paid last season, the $75 for the gold pass. I'm renewing mine again this season, skip the step of re-processing and getting new plastic.

Renewing is definitely the way to go especially since you get to skip that long line and process. The only think that stopped me from renewing last year was Costco had gold passes for $60 which was worth it!

Edited by robman

Renewing is defiantly the way to go especially since you get to skip that long line and process. The only think that stopped me from renewing last year was Costco had gold passes for $60 which was defiantly worth it!

Click this: www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/ And, as Piers would say, You're welcome!

Thanks for pointing it out I had it typed wrong then Chrome had auto corrected it. That's the last time I trust Skynet...I mean Google.