TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Why can't I shake the feeling that they are going to get more $$ if they keep it for another year and have to have the 49ers buy them out of the land-lease when they break ground on the new stadium?

I doubt that would happen I remember reading the news paper last week and the spot in the overflow lot has already been approved for the stadium and they plan to break ground in the beginning of next year. If they wanted to move the stadium they would have to go through the whole process all over again, which has taken them a little over two years to get to the point where they are today.

Yeah, this portion of the release makes my post obsolete. I guess I should have read it first.

The Company also announced that it has reached a long-term agreement with the San Francisco 49ers related to the construction of the stadium and parking for NFL and other stadium-related events for the life of the new stadium. The agreement is still subject to the execution of a definitive agreement and the approval of the Stadium Authority and related approvals from the City of Santa Clara.

“The combination of an NFL stadium and a premier amusement park in one location offers tremendous and exciting opportunities for family entertainment. We are excited to reach an agreement on construction issues and parking that are important to the stadium project,” said Jed York, president and chief executive officer of the San Francisco 49ers.

“This arrangement leads the way to a mutually beneficial relationship between Cedar Fair, the 49ers and the City of Santa Clara,” added Ouimet. “California’s Great America was a strong performer in 2011 and we are confident this will continue into the future as we build the park’s customer base through new marketing initiatives and capital investments.”

Even if they get a 'new' coaster, they're still down at least two right!?

^^It's like putting a new tire on a 1980 Pinto

Best. Response. Yet.

I'll admit: There's a reason why there was frost here in Phoenix last night. It was hell freezing over. Even with CF retaining control (for now) of the property, there need to be some rather drastic upkeep changes to the park.

1.) New rides- across the board.

2.) Renovation of existing structures, painting and cleaning, and grooming of the park in general

3.) Better operations training.

And mind you, I'm still in the camp of the park's lend-lease structure with the SCCC is still up for grabs to the right buyer. Sadly, GA has been the bastard stepchild of the KECO/Paramount/Cedar Fair chain for quite a while now. I'd not rejoice too much folks, till we see some serious changes to the park.

I don't think CGA needs "new rides" ... they do need "new coasters".

They actually have, IMO, a pretty good selection of Family/Flat rides as it stands.

They need to do topper track on Grizzly, get rid of Vortex and put in a Mega Lite in that spot and something where the Boomerang was at the very least. That would give them 4 good coasters IMO.

I'm very excited about this! CGA finally is going to get a NEW coaster! Now, that Cedar Fair has a new CEO & in good shape, I can see CGA's future bright. Actually, I wouldn't be suprised if WindSeeker would be announced in a few weeks, though don't quote me on this, it is just a wild guess.

Wow. Just wow. Um...welcome back Cedar Fair?

Honestly, all this back-and-forth news coming from CGA is more entertaining than a new ride announcement. I had a feeling something was up when JMA delayed the council approval.

I sure would like to hear more about these "major capital investments" the mayor is talking about. "New waterslide attraction?" That came out of nowhere.

Well, at least we can laugh at the names "Drop Tower" and "Flight Deck" for another year. This is good news for Haunt.

At Bay Area Bash, at the Q&A session they did mention that they were working on bringing the GCI to the park, and that it still will most likely happen.

I'm also happy to hear an expansion of Boomerang Bay...hopefully they can also start operating all the Jackaroo Landing Slides again, as a good majority of them always seem to be closed.

^^It's like putting a new tire on a 1980 Pinto

The park has to start somewhere to get back on the right track, right?

All in all, I'm excited for this. The note of CGA being a 'strong performer' and what is in store (Waterslide, Coaster), this could be very exciting. When these are to happen I don't know. I'll continue to be optimistic as to what's going on with CGA's future, had this weird feeling that maybe JMA was not going to follow through with this since they are not an amusement park operator, maybe this was just not their thing. I'm sure too that Kinzel had a lot of influences on everything and wanting to get rid of CGA from their portfolio.

I think now that the City of Santa Clara, the 49er's, and Great America all see to be on the same page regarding parking, etc., I think now it will be much easier for the park to build new rides with the city on their side. And especially with CGA being one of the top 4 best performing parks in 2011, along with CW, KI, and KBF, I don't see why Cedar Fair wouldn't want to invest in the park. Now, I was actually really looking forward to JMA buying out the park and see what they have to offer, but the press release and the mercury news both sound very promising for that entire area of Santa Clara. And for those of you that bring up Six Flags Astroworld and their similar situation with their stasium, I honestly don't feel like this would be an issue for this park. I think the stadium can only help the park; but I guess we'll know for sure in 2015.

Am I going to wake up tomorrow to here that Geauga Lake is reopening?

It's hard to believe how fast things changed. It sounded like this park was all but dead. The park is in a good market and with time and the right leadership, they could bring this park back. That said, I'd like to hear more about this "new water slide attraction and roller coaster" before I start holding my breath.

The only reason why there was no new rides recently is because of the nearby stadium going to be built and Cedar Fair wanting to sell this place, now that they are not going to sell it, supposedly, new rides will start coming in.

So now that the uncertainty is done with, the park is no longer stuck in the middle of this political war which appears to be the huge hold up. Remember when we saw the press release about the wood for CGA back in 2008 and then the stadium drama started to blow in, throwing in multiple wrenches into the works and slowing things down.

Pardon the expression but it seems like CGA was slowly becoming constipated to the point things backed up. After finally getting some X-lax, the plug's been undone and CGA will begin to function normally rather than having plans back up and stay idle.

What I found most funny about these latest developments is the completely different tones of the Cedar Fair press release and the article in the San Jose Mercury News.

The Cedar Fair press release basically says that the buyer didn't want it, so we're stuck with it. But since the 49ers decided to build a parking garage that both their game goers and our park goers can use, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The Mercury News article doesn't even mention that the buyers had chosen not to buy it and actually states that Cedar Fair backed out of the deal (which their own press release specifically does NOT say!) They also make it seem like Cedar Fair is much more excited about keeping the park than their own press release makes it seem.

Basically, it seems that they've been ambivalent about the park for a while. The main problem has always been the uncertainty of the park's future because of the 49ers. It's pretty clear that they didn't think that the park had one. Hence them slowly removing rides and not adding new ones. They clearly were trying to unload the park for a while now, since they couldn't do anything with it, hoping that some other sap would get stuck with the park when it was forced to shut down by the city and the 49ers.

But with the 49ers parking situation taken care of and with the only real potential buyer backing out, they're stuck with it now. But now that they know it won't be shut down at any time, they can actually invest in the park and maybe even benefit from being close to the stadium, and all of the other businesses that will likely be built in the area. So, while this probably wasn't what Cedar Fair expected for an outcome, they can certainly live with it. Especially when a very likely alternative would have been for them to have to keep the park and then close it down.

Taken from CF Press Release (that seems a little more enthusiastic than noted):

“California’s Great America was a strong performer in 2011 and we are confident this will continue into the future as we build the park’s customer base through new marketing initiatives and capital investments.”

Last time I knew, capital investments meant spending cash for additions to the park. To me, it seemed that Ouimet is pretty excited for the future of CGA, even the park seems excited for it's future as shown on their Facebook post.

I was suprised to read this on newsplusnotes via facebook as I assumed the JMA sale was a done deal....hopefully CF can turn the park around by actually adding more rides & other attractions which are sorely lacking at this location.Kinzel probably would'[ve GL'ed the place but now that there's a new CEO in town we just might see some promising change & the rumored GCI is a good start.

Didn't CF state that they wanted to sell the park because "it's performance fell below expectations"...and now they say it was a "strong performer" in 2011?....

How can it be a strong performer and fall below expectations? Sounds like they are just saying that to save face.

The enthusiasm that CF now has for the park really doesn't surprise me. The park has been doing well for CF and now that it has a more stable future, I can see why CF would start to invest in it. I was at the park for Haunt 2 days this year and it was fairly crowded both nights. CF has put a lot of money into their haunt (comparatively with other parks) and it is one of the better CF haunts in my opinion. So CF already puts a decent amount of money into the park, its just not in coasters which are a large investment that needs a stable future to make returns on the investment. Now that they will be keeping the park, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually do start adding coasters and big investments.