TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=332

CEDAR FAIR TO RETAIN OWNERSHIP OF ITS CALIFORNIA'S GREAT AMERICA PARK

• Valuable property expected to remain strong performer for Cedar Fair going forward
  • Company reaches agreement with the San Francisco 49ers on parking and construction issues
  • Expects to achieve high end of its annual distribution target of $1.35 to $1.65 per unit in 2012, and $2.00 or more in 2013

SANDUSKY, OHIO, December 6, 2011 –Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), a leader in regional amusement parks, water parks and active entertainment announced today that JMA Ventures, LLC (“JMA”) has elected to not move forward with their purchase of California’s Great America amusement park in Santa Clara, California. As a result of JMA’s actions, the definitive purchase agreement governing this transaction, originally agreed on September 16, 2011, has been terminated.

“We respect JMA’s decision and are pleased to return to the long-term ownership of this exceptional property,” said Matt Ouimet, Cedar Fair’s president. “As we stated at the time the agreement was made, this is a quality park that has terrific employees and serves a strong market. We look forward to continuing to take advantage of the synergies which are uniquely available to us as a result of operating this park as part of our larger portfolio of properties.”

According to Ouimet, the termination of this sale does not alter the Company’s expectations of achieving record adjusted EBITDA between $365 million and $375 million in 2011. “In fact, we expect to be at the higher end of our original distribution guidance of $1.35 to $1.65 per limited partner unit in 2012,” he said. “With continued growth in our annual distribution rates and additional debt reduction through our improved operating performance, we believe Cedar Fair will maintain its position as one of the most attractive growth and yield stories in the leisure and hospitality industry.”

The Company also announced that it has reached a long-term agreement with the San Francisco 49ers related to the construction of the stadium and parking for NFL and other stadium-related events for the life of the new stadium. The agreement is still subject to the execution of a definitive agreement and the approval of the Stadium Authority and related approvals from the City of Santa Clara.

“The combination of an NFL stadium and a premier amusement park in one location offers tremendous and exciting opportunities for family entertainment. We are excited to reach an agreement on construction issues and parking that are important to the stadium project,” said Jed York, president and chief executive officer of the San Francisco 49ers.

“This arrangement leads the way to a mutually beneficial relationship between Cedar Fair, the 49ers and the City of Santa Clara,” added Ouimet. “California’s Great America was a strong performer in 2011 and we are confident this will continue into the future as we build the park’s customer base through new marketing initiatives and capital investments.”

The Company also announced that it has reached a long-term agreement with the San Francisco 49ers related to the construction of the stadium and parking for NFL and other stadium-related events for the life of the new stadium. The agreement is still subject to the execution of a definitive agreement and the approval of the Stadium Authority and related approvals from the City of Santa Clara.

Translation: we still don't care about this park, but we're at least going to get more money out of the stadium through this deal than if we sold the park to JMA.

Wow, this thing is proving harder to ditch than they thought! It'll be interesting to see what their next move is. I doubt they'll want to invest in it but they could shoot themselves in the foot by making it less profitable if they don't...

As someone who's often at the Illinois Great America, I'm sad to see it's sister park in this state. I hope something good will come of this, but given Cedar Fairs history with it, I doubt it will.

I doubt it either. This park isn't doing too well success-wise. This time Cedar Fair should put more effort into it, but they don't have time to be involved with it. This was probably just a money-getting scheme. Let's hope the company will use some of that money at the park or it's gonna be "Geauga'd " in a couple years.

I don't think the parking is really a big issue. You are probably looking at 4 or 5 Sundays at most where there would be a conflict and those would all be in September and October. This could work out good, drop the kids off at the park while the adults go to the game. Afterwards they enter the park to enjoy the Halloween events and wait for the crowd leaving the stadium to thin out.

This park is like Micheal Myers, you kill him a ton of times and he never ends up dying

No offense, but that's a bad example. They have never tried "killing" the park. I bet deep down Cedar Fair actually cares about the park and they're trying to put a good side to it. But the good side is for the company and it's money, and the bad side is not increasing publicity. Actually gisco made a good point and I bet people will do that.

So this is for all the people that think the end is near for the park. Here is an article from the Mercury News. http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_19482474

Also here is a very promising quote from the mayor of Santa Clara!

Matthews said he's also thrilled to hear that Cedar Fair Entertainment plans to "make major investments" in the park, including a new waterslide attraction and roller coaster.

So the park won't be dying or closing down anytime soon. If the mayor is excited with the plans that Cedar Fair is making then I would imagine more attractions coming into the park sooner rather than later.

Edited by robman

So this is for all the people that think the end is near for the park. Here is an article from the Mercury News. http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_19482474

Matthews said he's also thrilled to hear that Cedar Fair Entertainment plans to "make major investments" in the park, including a new waterslide attraction and roller coaster.

So the park won't be dying or closing down anytime soon. If the mayor is excited with the plans that Cedar Fair is making then I would imagine more attractions coming into the park sooner rather than later.

Well that's good news to here, that JMA is not going to buy it after all. Will be nice to see something new come to the park, makes one wonder now what they have planned for where Invertigo used to be at. Maybe the change in CEOs played a factor in this decision coming about?

Well that's good news to here, that JMA is not going to buy it after all. Will be nice to see something new come to the park, makes one wonder now what they have planned for where Invertigo used to be at. Maybe the change in CEOs played a factor in this decision coming about?

I would say the change of CEO's played a huge factor in everything that seems to be falling into place.