TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Sounds like an interesting writeup. Speaking of Pictorium, when we were going through Club Blood, one of our group members accidentally opened the black curtain thinking that was the way to go. No blackout was present in that area and we got an extremely nice view of the seats all still intact and some of the floor lights were on (or was that rope light?). I had to quickly tell him that we need to head left, not right. And of course me looking at the excessively high ceiling, the talent took the advantage of that and got me a couple times.

Hmm, I should go look through some of my parent's photo albums, one I came across did have photos of Great America in the late 1970s, including some of the Hometown Square Train Station and other portions of the park I can't recall right now, makes me wonder if any of them had the IMAX in it at all, now just to recall where I saw them last in the garage.

That is interesting that it was used once more several years after it closed, I never would of thought, where'd you find that out at? Makes me wish I'd taken some pics of it's interior when I worked at the park, but then again the doors were likely locked. I recall years ago, one associate I was talking to about the IMAX, claimed water was leaking into the space and that it was sinking slightly. Not sure how much truth there is to that given they use the space for Haunt.

As for the Stadium, here is the other plan for it, across the creek on the "overflow" parking lot and Centennial Drive with the planned parking garage across Tasman Drive.

I recall years ago, one associate I was talking to about the IMAX, claimed water was leaking into the space and that it was sinking slightly. Not sure how much truth there is to that given they use the space for Haunt.

I remember reading that same thing a few years ago. Also that the building had really bad mold and milldue. (sp?)

Sounds like an interesting writeup. Speaking of Pictorium, when we were going through Club Blood, one of our group members accidentally opened the black curtain thinking that was the way to go. No blackout was present in that area and we got an extremely nice view of the seats all still intact and some of the floor lights were on (or was that rope light?). I had to quickly tell him that we need to head left, not right. And of course me looking at the excessively high ceiling, the talent took the advantage of that and got me a couple times.

That was around the "mad scientist" computer part in Club Blood right? That's where I saw the seats, the emergency exit curtain was open, giving a nice view. I also got scared pretty good from looking up at the ceiling and not paying attention to the maze!

That is interesting that it was used once more several years after it closed, I never would of thought, where'd you find that out at?

I found it here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2003-10-04/north-america%27s-only-theme-park-anime-festival-returns-to-paramount%27s-great-america-in-2003

and here:

http://kinotechnologies.wordpress.com/2011/09/27/great-americas-pictorium-ruined-imax-for-me/

Although one site says 2003, and the other 2004. Maybe the anime festival was held twice?

So...who's up for some Skyhawk pictures?

skyhawk.JPG.f91a6a037768449a8c28740186c976ae.JPG

skyhawk3.JPG.58fe7b5b98cbe2ba280bd50e00e47d30.JPG

How about Vortex entrance pre-Vortex?

prevortex.JPG.8d77dae1c7cceec7f6ec1158357a7c87.JPG

Green Vortex?

greenvortex.JPG.6cfbf8c49cce7205a1e93989d44d544c.JPG

Or maybe Whizzer demolition?

whizzer.JPG.aea8a18787ab0ad3873ca9abd352f7fa.JPG

You can still see those footers at the bottom today.

Okay, you get the point. I found a really good site with great pictures. You have to view it through the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110215023032/http://www.greatamericapics.com/main.php

Lastly, I found this on greatamericaparks.com:

icecreamslaughterhouse.jpg.c53240e79ec8d27aa497238df7d54999.jpg

Slaughterhouse entrance with ice cream, minus all the blood!

Anyone thinking of going to global winter wonderland. Don't. It's cool lights but not worth 12 bucks. Also I have heard many stories about great America being haunted and my uncle has had experiences lol

Pretty much, Yes . Great America is being haunted by a boy who died on Willard's Whizzer years ago when the ride was still there.

I had a weird experience when I was working drop zone. A penny fell from the seat that the kid had fallen out of after we had cycled 6 times with empty seats (we were opening the ride) it would have fallen out after the first time and their wasent even a penny when I checked the seat right before it happened. Weird. However I don't think drop zone is haunted. They say ghost haunt places they are connected to so I feel like no guest who have died here would haunt the park. Unless they loved coming here the only other connection is that this is where their death happened. The showtime theater is haunted by a little boy. The story goes before it was great America a house was there and it burned down and the boy died. My uncle has told me many stories about this ghost. If anyone wants to hear more let me know

I had a weird experience when I was working drop zone. A penny fell from the seat that the kid had fallen out of after we had cycled 6 times with empty seats (we were opening the ride) it would have fallen out after the first time and their wasent even a penny when I checked the seat right before it happened. Weird. However I don't think drop zone is haunted. They say ghost haunt places they are connected to so I feel like no guest who have died here would haunt the park. Unless they loved coming here the only other connection is that this is where their death happened. The showtime theater is haunted by a little boy. The story goes before it was great America a house was there and it burned down and the boy died. My uncle has told me many stories about this ghost. If anyone wants to hear more let me know

Not sure if it is true or not, but I've heard that the Great America (Paramount) Theater is supposedly haunted as well. As for the Drop Zone, that is strange, the penny falling from the seat. Which cabin set was it, #1-3 or #4-6? I worked at Drop Zone a few times last season when I was not needed at Firefall and it was a pain at times.

We are just prepping for when great America really becomes a "ghost town" lol jk. Nibbler how do u know that it wasent a child? I'm just going by what my uncle has said. They even claim to have seen him one night. I believe their is a thread for ghosts in theme parks somewhere on tpr, I know for sure I saw it somewhere online with all these great stories about theme parks and ghosts. Showtime theater being on of them. As for drop tower the boy fell out of cabin 3 and that's where it happened. Me and my friend are still talking about that.