TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Posted via their Facebook page- A very ominous sign...

California's Great America

One Final Weekend of the 2011 Season! The Park is open Saturday and Sunday 10AM to 5:30PM for day operation, and Friday, Saturday and Sunday night for Haunt from 7PM to Midnight! The park is closed on 10/31. Who is coming out for their final Flight Deck rides?..

I hate to say this, but I think we've been given a very strong hint there.

R.D.

Link to CGA's Facebook page- with this post.

THIS post caused TWO WHOLE new pages of rumors about the park closing?! You can't be serious. For the sake of coaster enthusiasts...

Adding "this season" to the end of the question could certainly have made things more clear. Upon reading the Facebook post I was also questioning the meaning of it. I asked for clarification on their Facebook page. Words mean things. The lack of certain words can mean things as well. Considering the recent events related to this park and its future, I don't think it's out of line at all to wonder out loud about their intentions.

^ If they don't add anything I just hope they add some fresh paint to the buildings and rides that need it. A good example is Demon, and Vortex those two rides have the worst faded paint right now. Maybe JMA will also continue the Grizzly re tracking that it has been going on over the past couple years.

200 posts!

I see 2012 as a 'transitional' year, much like 2007. I could be wrong but right now, the only changes I see happening are all in the marketing of the park and rebranding itself (unless it is still going to retain the Cedar Fair logos and branding), new employee uniforms, and new merch. I'm not quite positive if the ride names will remain the same (Flight Deck, Drop Tower) but I have a feeling that they will continue to live as their existing names. Don't quote me on this though, these are just my thoughts.

And nothing exciting on the permit page. I would have hoped to see something after not looking at it for almost a month now. Nothing's changed (yet).

I see 2012 as a 'transitional' year, much like 2007. I could be wrong but right now, the only changes I see happening are all in the marketing of the park and rebranding itself (unless it is still going to retain the Cedar Fair logos and branding), new employee uniforms, and new merch. I'm not quite positive if the ride names will remain the same (Flight Deck, Drop Tower) but I have a feeling that they will continue to live as their existing names. Don't quote me on this though, these are just my thoughts.

And nothing exciting on the permit page. I would have hoped to see something after not looking at it for almost a month now. Nothing's changed (yet).

I'm with you. I see them putting everything into rebranding and marketing. 2013 would be the year for something new.

A little off topic here but has anyone noticed Freddy Kruger in Slaughterhouse? I saw him last weekend and thought it was very odd and weird. He was in full costume including the finger blade/claw device, he only pops out real quick so you have to pay attention when looking.

What I'm wondering is what the new site for cga will be called. Under paramount it was pgathrills.com.

If you want to see interesting articles on great America go on google news and look for it in the archives. Santa Clara bought cga, then mga, from marriots. Then there are more articles after that about it selling off land around it for hotels etc.

I found while I was looking at the news. ABC 7 is calling Haunt "Kid-Friendly" I wonder what they mean by kid, it could be very deceiving for some parents. Then this is where the problem starts because they bring there little kids to Haunt, if they were to read the website ans saw it was recommended for guests 13 and above, but no one ever reads it.

no.png.15ccb1023e75a6846c56c5eb51c8d204.png

I'm going to CGA tomorrow just because it might be my last time for many years since I have a 2012 SFDK season pass.

About the name change, I think there is no reason to re-name the park. Just calling it Great America would confuse people with the one in Illinois.

Why would they get confused? One park is on the west coast, the other is in Illinois. And I will bet a lot of people that go to CGA on a regular basis don't even know about the other park or even care. "Great America" is the perfect name for it and I don't really see a problem with people confusing this park for one that is across the country. And even if they do....so what, maybe the "confused" people will visit CGA more thinking its the other park and raise attendance...lol

Why would they get confused? One park is on the west coast, the other is in Illinois. And I will bet a lot of people that go to CGA on a regular basis don't even know about the other park or even care. "Great America" is the perfect name for it and I don't really see a problem with people confusing this park for one that is across the country. And even if they do....so what, maybe the "confused" people will visit CGA more thinking its the other park and raise attendance...lol

Actually, a while back one of my former coworkers were planning on visiting CGA with my cousin and I. Going to purchase his tickets online, he searched for "Great America" and headed on over to the Six Flags site. It was a good thing he waited until the next time he saw me. We were talking about Great America and I got to telling him about the Six Flags 'sister' in Illinois and how they were near clones back then. It then clicked into him that he was going to the wrong Great America site to order his tickets. I told him to visit CGA's site (gave him URL).

In the end, most people aren't aware of the other Great America park. On the other hand, with how well known Six Flags is, it seems that the GP (that I've ran into) think that every 'big' park is a Six Flags, as if Six Flags had become a generic term for a theme park.