TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^Yes, posted from iPhone...actually, I attempted to use the speech capabilities but in a theme park environment, it's just too loud to recognize what I'm saying.

Anyway, Just got back a little bit ago, will post some photos up tomorrow. Like mentioned, it was insane tonight! I went ahead and did Boofet again so I can get a few mazes in before insanity kicks in to full gear (which does not take long to happen). First 2 mazes were CarnEvil (1 minute wait thanks to Boofet) and the backwards Club Blood. Actually, CB got me pretty good a couple times. I was looking up at the high ceilings of the Pictorium when someone jumped out at me. ABW (who was with us) never being in the maze before and confused opened one of the black curtains only to reveal the theater seating right behind. Cool site to see but had to quickly tell him to go the other way.

About 7:30ish, we take a ride on Demon before lines got insane, about 10 minute wait, however I did clock 2.5-3 minute dispatches. Next up was Toy Factory. The lines were beginning to fill up fast though it was probably a 10-minute wait. A few things to note: I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems as though the Toy Factory theme outside doesn't play as loud as it did last year. Also, through the maze, the talent just seemed to be...there...not really doing anything to get us except at the maze entrance. I do give kudos to the kid in the hat (observation room) for following my cousin while singing the TF theme. Otherwise, it was as though I was just walking through a themed room. This also seemed to be the case with CarnEvil and Slaughter House and even Club Blood. Honestly, I don't know what was going on tonight but it felt more lively on opening weekend.

Black Widows Cavern also seemed to be lacking some characters. Top it off that we got e-stopped at the upper flume just before the drop, required draining the water. I also got to experience logs bumping into each other and getting splashed by it. Pretty wet finale for being stuck for 5-10 mins.

We skipped by Werewolf Canyon due to the dead feel on opening weekend plus the line started almost by the $5 dryer, wrapping around the Flying Scooters (Firefall side), through the endless switchbacks and finally the maze. Already 10:00 and just completing the first loop, we head to Slaughter House. The line started by Club Blood's former entry, took about 30 mins to get through. At this point in the night, they were just letting people all in at once which in my opinion, just kills it. I understand they have to manage crowds and heard that at Knotts, things are similarly done. Slaughter House's element was not present, just a dark hallway.

Finally, to end the evening was 1 last visit to Toy Factory once again, with the switchbacks nearly full. It took about 20 minutes to get through, and operations were the same, just let everyone in at once. To speed things up, Toy Factory's ending you can say had diarrhea...as in no force, as in now I know how long that hallway really is. Was cool to see but at the same time was a bummer that it was deflated.

Scarezones and crowds...2 things that don't mix too well. First experiencing this with DeadMan's Cove. It was so crowded that I couldn't even find any of the park's talent, therefore, it was just a lit up area with music. Looking forward to visiting Gauntlet on my second lap had the same experience...saw a couple sliders but otherwise, too crowded to really enjoy walking through the scare zone. I'm sure by now you're getting my drift on the scare zones... Underworld Alley, I couldn't even find anyone, that crowded. In terms of rides, I'll get photos up tomorrow. Vortex was actually using switchbacks, along with Drop Tower. Demon's line was spilling out of the entry, Grizzly (I think was on single train tonight) possibly had its line spilling out into the courtyard area, and Flight Deck had a nearly full line (which was down when I passed by...so no Flight Deck tonight ).

In the end, I still had fun but I totally preferred my visit on opening night. I do know it's going to get even worse as the month comes to a close so I better man up and get used to it (and take advantage of the Boofet). I am glad that tonight wasn't a night that I paid the $22 to get in plus dinner, or if I had paid even full price as I would have probably left disappointed.

Shout-outs to Robman (Saw you at Demon, and earlier when heading to boofet), Ryan Davies (ran into him prior to doing my last maze, Toy Factory), Nibbler, and some of the park's talent I know.

Ya It was nice seeing you again Gumball sorry I never got a chance to talk. It was insanely crowded tonight,like stated above. I hope JMA sees how much of a attendance boost can bring in and keep Halloween Haunt(with a new name I would imagine). Tonight was the busiest I have ever seen the park in a long time, every ride had a decent wait.

Something that I didn't post last night(I was on my iPad and the keyboard was a pain.) I had witnessed someone getting it trouble last night for touching the Overlord! It was a younger kid maybe 11 or 12 and his father had started arguing with the security when they had saw it and someone else had seen it.( All of this happened in the Club Blood line as well.) I just don't understand why people would bother arguing with someone when they got caught and there was witnesses,just doesn't make sense.

On another note last night I had noticed that every scare zone had it's own sign, similar to Underworld Ally but not that elaborate. I don't think they were their last weekend but im not sure.

^You saw some kids get in trouble, I saw a parent taking a stroller (complete with kid on board) into the Toy Factory line. They were on the switchback next to us so they were a distance back. Still, though, crazy that parents got that far to take their toddlers/infants through a loud room with strobe lights and all.

I noticed the signage last night too, looked great. Dead Man's Cove was probably the least noticeable however as that area was packed.

Just a quick note as far as my zone- we were operating 5 talent short that night, mix that with several guests wanting to get physical = more talent on extra breaks to cool off after incidents.. it becomes challenging to keep them motivated for the rest of the night when it's back to back issues, they get on edge and start wanting to avoid large groups of people.. we do the best we can to prevent it but sadly there's only one of me and 34823490283490237842937434908573489573045789248957348957348957348957 groups at a time on busy nights

as to the signage, yep DMC and TG's signs were brand new, put in Sat right before opening, I love our's, it's Rainbow-riffic

Y would they have someone standing there not allowing them in? Great America has warned them but they won't listen. It's their wasted money and it's not doing anything to u so why does it matter? U make it seem as if u were walking through and all u heard was crying from the kid behind u. Some parents are stupid but it really shouldn't be such a bid deal unless it personally effected your experience.

^Please do not use short-hand "text speak" in your posts on this forum. "Why" and "You" are three-letter words. SPELL IT OUT! It just makes you look extremely lazy to have a bunch of "u's" in your post.

Pretty sure we have warned you about your posting style in the past, if not please re-read the TOS about proper posting.

--Eric (TPR Moderator)

^ I'm pretty sure it was cause you went on a Sunday. Some people who were there on Saturday said it was crazy packed.

It was crazy packed, I only got 3 credits

Though, being on topic, when I went to the Inside CGA store, the discounts seems to not be as good as they were a few weeks ago, especially I thought the Snoopy stuff will be over 50% off by now. Maybe, the deal didn't go through for JMA buying CGA. (Please comment if I wasn't paying attention to the last few pages )

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18954328

Older article about jma might be managing gilroy gardens as well. Other articles also say it wont be finalized until the end of the fourth quarter then the city has to approve it. The 49ers are saying as of October they are breaking ground in the spring.

As regards to sfdk, that just means people up there don't have jobs or care about school. That's why Sunday's are so dead. During cga day hours it wasn't dead but it wasn't packed. Just means people have real life responbilities.

^^

Try dealing with endless complaints from angry parents threatening your talent because their kids are scared.

Good then the talent is doing a great job.

Also...

That's really frikin' stupid, how dumb are these people? That's part of the nature of this event, if they don't want their spoiled, precious little bratty kids scared then DON'T GO!......dumb people. Too bad you can't threaten them for just being dumbasses.

Just once I would love to say to these morons.......

"Really, your stupid little kids got scared?....well DUH! That is what is supposed to happen. Obviously you don't bother to read signs or have any kind of grasp of what goes on or is supposed to happen in a given situation so you do not need to be here. Take your crappy liitle kids and get out you idiot!"

These must be the same people that complain about it raining during winter, or it being too sunny during summer, or complain to the mall Santa because he said he would bring their bratty kid stuff for Christmas......(again).....DUH!

Quick question, Does anyone know why the person that is in front of the maze that lets you go in has a air horn? I noticed that right below their feet they have a air horn. I felt it was odd, I thought it was to let all of the actors know at once that the maze has closed and everyone has gone through.

Y would they have someone standing there not allowing them in? Great America has warned them but they won't listen. It's their wasted money and it's not doing anything to u so why does it matter? U make it seem as if u were walking through and all u heard was crying from the kid behind u. Some parents are stupid but it really shouldn't be such a bid deal unless it personally effected your experience.

From a guest's standpoint, I just think it's ridiculous that parents are bringing their kids into an event like this, let alone taking their Hummer-like stroller through the tight switchbacks through the crowds, then putting their kids through terrifying scenes, loud noises, and strobe lights (that is potentially dangerous for an infant). How far they would have really gotten with their strollers, I don't know but I can't imagine them being allowed to take them into the maze.

And a couple weeks ago, I saw a parent with their kid, complete with a toy 'push car' who was crying (not sure if it was the spoiled cry or if it was the terrified cry but they were definitely too young for an event like this. I saw others who had larger strollers covered with blankets, to 'protect' their kids from the talent.

So pretty much, even though I'm a guest, I will still 'defend' the park in situations like this (on message boards and in discussion) when guests are in the wrong due to their own lack of intelligence.

About the airhorns, I thought they were in there in the event that like mentioned, an emergency but being an unruly guest trying to get physical or being just downright stupid, to get their attention to knock off whatever they're doing...much like a life guard with their whistles they occasionally toot when someone does something stupid.

Do parents not know how to read? Clearly states on the website and at the park: WARNING! This event is rated PG-13 and may be too intense for young children.. People will always complain just for the sake of complaining, seriously! You guys are doing a great job, keep it up!