TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Halloween Haunt was the best!! My favorite one is Slaughterhouse. They did some nice revamping in that one. Underworld Ally had some real nice theming to it. The theme music went right along with it. All the other mazes and scarezones were pretty cool too. Although Club Blood was a bit weird...due to it being backwards. Carnevil was awesome and the clowns around the area can be very presistant. I should know becasue I kept running from them. I still want to try and go a few more times before the park closes for the season.

Halloween Haunt was the best!! My favorite one is Slaughterhouse. They did some nice revamping in that one. Underworld Ally had some real nice theming to it. The theme music went right along with it. All the other mazes and scarezones were pretty cool too. Although Club Blood was a bit weird...due to it being backwards. Carnevil was awesome and the clowns around the area can be very presistant. I should know becasue I kept running from them. I still want to try and go a few more times before the park closes for the season.

Hehe, you can thank Nibbler for sending them after you, especially at Boofet time

It closes early during the entire season. It's not open for haunt due to safety. My guess why it closes early is maintenance on the cabins.

I don't know why skyride closes early but it's not for maintanence. Skyride is a morning inspection, I know because I was on the inspection group until August when I returned to rides.

I can definitely see it being a safety issue as far as running it into the evening/night. While there's those of us who have common sense when riding a ride without restraints, there are those who are bound to do something stupid...plus there's those who like to throw objects or spit from above, harder to catch in the dark.

I just can't believe how great CGA was going to be with all these awesome plans that never got through such as:

-Front Enterance

-Speed Coaster

-Outer Limits coaster

-Hypersonic XLC

-GCI Coaster

and CGA got all these ride removals:

-Scenic Railway

-Triple Play

-Tidal Wave

-Stealth

-Invertigo

If you want to go even further, CGA lost even more:

Lobster ride

Skyhawk (Replaced with with an upcharge game)

Bottoms Up (I'm assuming Berserker now sits in the Bottoms Up spot)

Whizzer (Replaced with...dry grass!)

Yankee Clipper (Taken over by Stealth, then Boomerang Bay)

Gulf Coaster(a kiddie coaster, replaced/location dominated by Rapids ride)

The other ride/attraction that has been gone for quite some time is the old trolley cars that ran from Orleans Place to Hometown Square I believe. I sometimes wonder if the rails are still under the asphalt which is a rumor I read online quite some time ago.

^^You forgot some very important ones:

Triple Wheel last season 1997. Invertigo was in Triple Wheel's spot.

Tidal Wave/Greased Lightnin last season 2002. Got removed for no reason at all.

The Edge last season 1995. Got removed for Drop Zone in 1996.

Days Of Thunder Action Theater movie.

The Temple movie(not sure what it was called.)

Hannah Barbera movie from Universal Studios.

Smurf Woods

I was so lucky I got to go on the Edge one time in 1995 thanks to my uncle getting my cousin & I to go on it. My cousin & I kept saying to each other in line oh I don't know about this! But my uncle kept saying oh come on. The Edge started my love of drop rides thanks to my uncle!.

^That is correct. I ride opped The Edge and Ameri-Go-Round, among others, and Drop Zone is in the same area as Ameri-Go-Round once was. The Edge used to be in the area where the Go-Karts are now, right next to the service road that runs behind it. Bottoms Up used to be in the area where that big tent thing is, by the little games area there. Berserker replaced something, I forget what. But you can see Bottoms Up and what used to be in Berserker's spot in this old photo...

Whizzer is at the top in the middle, then to the left is the food building (today there are games to the left of that), the round thing left of the food building is Botooms Up, left of that is another round thing which is a 'mystery' ride which is in the spot of where Berserker is now, just right of the Demon entrance and lift.

Had to look a bit closer...Bottoms Up is now where the turnaround into the station for the splash boats stands now, The other ride looks like some form of Scrambler. Where the big white "Slaughter House" tent is now and where the Xtreme Skyflyer is (mainly where the Skyflyer is) was Whizzer's station area.

Looking at the photo, it is really too bad the park didn't expand on it's western edge, much like SFGAm. A bit late now since the offices occupy the orchards. Same goes with the front gate concept...could have happened, but not now (in that spot anyway) due to offices and parking structures.

Semi-quick Haunt update from last night:

The crowds are here! (Look, JMA, Halloween events bring in people!). Toy Factory's queue was nearly full, Cornstalkers' was nearing it's entrance, Werewolf Canyon (didn't bother with this one) was reaching Ghost Gliders, etc.

The talent is really stepping up. Slaughterhouse was even better, the scare zones were much improved (except Dead Man's Cove...), very creepy moment on Black Widow's Cavern, and Club Blood surprised me. I have to say that it was one of the best mazes of the night, I got scared more times than I care to admit. The ending got me both times I went (slider!).

Speaking of Club Blood, something that I noticed last year, and again this year: It's easily the loudest maze (on the outside)...and it's also the closest to the neighbors. I like to think that was intentional. From the parking lot, you can hear the (blasting) music echoing through the parking garage, and also bouncing off the nearby office buildings. That's one big middle finger if I ever saw one.

There is fog everywhere, so much that "fog rides" were possible: Flight Deck, Grizzly, and Demon. Especially Demon, everything after the second tunnel was covered in fog (probably from Underworld Alley), could barely see. Very cool, especially in the front seat. Even Firefall's volcanoes were producing extra steam, it felt like it was raining when I was standing in line, and riding.

With the way Dead Man's Cove is set up, nobody can find the Endeavor. Despite the heavy crowds in the park, there were just four people riding (including my brother and I), and when we got off, the line was still empty.

I just couldn't believe it -- for the first (and last) time in the Cedar Fair era, all six cabins on Drop Tower were fully operational! Yes, even cabin #1. It was great to finally see the Tower running to its full capacity, and the line really benefited. Of course, I had to get my first cabin #1 ride of the season, it's noticeably faster when going up. It also drops immediately now, after "hesitating" last season.

^ Glad to here the talent is better during the second week! Im going again tonight for my second time this year. Glad to hear that Drop Tower is running all six cabins once again! Im going to try and ride number 1 tonight. I will be taking some pictures tonight so I may have a small trip report.

^^It's too bad that the offices are already closed for the evening. I'm sure this is going to be crazy but I'm probably going to attempt next Saturday. Fog rides sound fun and I have a feeling crowds are going to be insane. If I recall last year, Fridays were the "best" days to go but sounds like it's far busier this year. I do wonder if Sundays are as bad.I will make use of the Boofet perks when I go again.

^^It's too bad that the offices are already closed for the evening. I'm sure this is going to be crazy but I'm probably going to attempt next Saturday. Fog rides sound fun and I have a feeling crowds are going to be insane. If I recall last year, Fridays were the "best" days to go but sounds like it's far busier this year. I do wonder if Sundays are as bad.I will make use of the Boofet perks when I go again.

I would imagine Sunday's are the best time to go. With people having school/work the next day I would imagine most people wouldn't go or stay until the 12 closing time. I have a feeling that tonight is going to be very busy. Im glad I ordered the boofet tickets for tonight.

^ and ^^

Sundays are easily the best time to visit Haunt, for the reasons you explained. Very few people come because they either have school or work the next day, so if you're free Sunday night, go for it! Ride lines are non-existent, and maze lines are managable. Fridays are unpredictable, so I would arrive on a Friday at opening.

Sorta on topic, tonight is the second Saturday for Haunt. Considering how busy it was yesterday, I'm guessing it will be very busy tonight. I'll be working at Xtreme Skyflyer, for what it's worth.

Just a little thought I had...Would Black Widows Cavern exist if Stealth was still there? Little room for the actors, the rollercoaster above passing by, the riders screaming, though they could close it early, but do you think it would be there? or would stay as Logger's Run? (Kind of a stupid question, isn't it?)

^That is correct. I ride opped The Edge and Ameri-Go-Round, among others, and Drop Zone is in the same area as Ameri-Go-Round once was. The Edge used to be in the area where the Go-Karts are now, right next to the service road that runs behind it. Bottoms Up used to be in the area where that big tent thing is, by the little games area there. Berserker replaced something, I forget what. But you can see Bottoms Up and what used to be in Berserker's spot in this old photo...

Whizzer is at the top in the middle, then to the left is the food building (today there are games to the left of that), the round thing left of the food building is Botooms Up, left of that is another round thing which is a 'mystery' ride which is in the spot of where Berserker is now, just right of the Demon entrance and lift.

What I find on that picture that is interesting is Great America Theater's upper roof shape matches the IMAX Pictorium roof shape.

Halloween Haunt was great,yet very busy tonight! Which is great for the park lets just hope JMA brings back this event next year. Talent was much better all around this week. The only scare zone that is still lacking is Dead Man's Cove. It seems that there is not enough actors or they are spending to much time on larger groups. I did went through all of the mazes except Wearwolf Canyon, I really didn't feel like waiting in the line for it. With just the very few scares that it had last week,I felt it wasn't worth it. Most of the rides had very short lines from what it seemed. I only went on a few.(Demon night rides are a must) Overall it was a great day and the boofet is worth every penny.

I also met Nibbler,and Sunfire!

The pictures are not trip report worthy,just some pictures of the talent and random Haunt pictures.

IMG_0271.thumb.jpg.a0af277094bf97e7f0036ad4186c4901.jpg

Good views of Flight Deck in the Picnic Pavilion,but not as good Bay Area Day!

IMG_0272.thumb.jpg.6913fca8679d12079e40c61842ded83b.jpg

IMG_0274.thumb.jpg.e69ea352cc4fe6233369cea6bf44e732.jpg

Now we have some members of The Gauntlet and Underworld Ally dancing to a song that I don't remember the name of.

IMG_0275.thumb.jpg.ed305f729a38bdf7748d1d481008391f.jpg

Ruffles the Clown,just clowning around.

IMG_0277.thumb.jpg.fbc8129e3dced71742ff752cf2e31a52.jpg

IMG_0278.thumb.jpg.95e3f6b2161e573cbff2369ac17f2537.jpg

Welcome to The Gauntlet!

IMG_0279.thumb.jpg.e2ca87f663e81dde48e10a7003f1808a.jpg

Big scary clown with a spider!

IMG_0280.thumb.jpg.993914b7d697fcea46ba691437507d06.jpg

Favorite picture of the night!

IMG_0285.thumb.jpg.abf724192793a50304a3afb756e0fe74.jpg

Underworld Ally! Sort of hard to get a decent picture due to all the fog!

IMG_0286.thumb.jpg.d5cca143842634322873c787f937d21a.jpg

Monkey driving a tank near Toy Factory!

IMG_0293.thumb.jpg.7eb7895d3208308154706a7da934e572.jpg

CarnEvil clown entrance,My favorite maze of the night.

Edited by robman

Well guys, the crowds have definitely arrived for Haunt! Last night, the park was unexpectedly very busy. In fact, an area supervisor told me we actually surpassed our projected attendance, which is a great thing! People have heard about how great Haunt is, and they're checking it out finally.

That said, the lines for different attractions are starting to get very long. Yesterday, I saw that Cornstalkers was spilling way out into the midway, and they actually ADDED more rope queue for Toy Factory! I was operating Tiki Twirl last night, and at one point we had a 45 minute wait. It was definitely busy for only the second Saturday of Haunt.

I would say that if you can only come to Haunt on a Saturday, do the Boofet! Beat the crowds and get more mazes in, because yesterday made it clear that lines are going to be VERY long as we get closer to Halloween.