TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

One thing I got to thinking about, again too soon to tell...since there will be a stadium on site, I'm wondering if there's really a need for the un-shaded Redwood Amphitheater or if that can be taken out to make way for CGA's hybrid Intamin/B&M/GCI/S&S Arrow inverted wooden 4d wingrider aquatrax coaster.

You know, that makes perfect sense. Why have concerts in that dinky amphitheater when they could be in the huge stadium? Removing the theater opens up land for a great coaster and having concerts in the stadium allows a larger audience which means (way) more profit in ticket sales as well as food and beverage sales at the stadium while the park can have room to grow....I think its good for everyone this way.

^Not to mention, it was not used for any regular shows this season. Actually, I last remember knowing of its use back in 2009/10 for All Wheels Extreme. Prior to that, I do not recall any 'regular' shows to be held there. I do however remember being in that amphitheater (honestly, the only other time I've been in there) when I was young as my sister had a dance recital there. After her performance (and the rest of her dance class) we were off to do the rides. Me not being into the whole dancing thing was ready to do rides once I set foot into the park but being younger had no say

I don't think people on the East Coast understand the feelings those on the West Coast feel. I hate to steriotype, but that's the way I see it.

Remember when Geauga Lake closed? Everyone seemed sad about Teh Big Dipper, but, overall, there was less grief than I would imagine a park that size would have when it closed. That is because most of CF's parks are in the northeast. I have never even been to GL, and I have still ridden its two signature coasters, at other parks (Dominator and X-Flight/Firehawk) However, if CGA closed under CF ownership, the only CF park on the West Coast is Knott's. Knott's might get one or two rides, but most of the rides would be moved to NE parks.

To make a long point short: On the East coast, you guys are spoiled by parks. When in Pennsylvania and the states surrounding it, I don't think I was ever more than a 4 hour drive from the next major park on my NE trip. In norcal, you are stuck with SFDK, and CGA. if one is removed, that is, literally, removing half the major parks in the area. That would be like closing Hersheypark and Knoebels. You wouldn't be sad, though, because you still have Dorney and Kennywood, right? Disney, Knott's and SFMM are about a 6 hour drive south. Imagine only having one park less than a 6 hour drive away. How much fun would that be?

I don't think this has been posted yet, but an interesting quote from a new article:

“There are lots of opportunities. The sell moves us down the field in fulfilling the vision of making Santa Clara’s sports and entertainment area premier destination,” says Mayor Jamie Matthews, adding “the ‘new’ Great America will be familiar but exciting.”

"New" but "familiar" Great America sounds promising.

http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2011/Issue-38/Cedar_Fair_to_Sell_Californias_Great_America_Sell_Would_Negate_Lawsuit.html

I don't think people on the East Coast understand the feelings those on the West Coast feel. I hate to steriotype, but that's the way I see it.

Remember when Geauga Lake closed? Everyone seemed sad about Teh Big Dipper, but, overall, there was less grief than I would imagine a park that size would have when it closed. That is because most of CF's parks are in the northeast. I have never even been to GL, and I have still ridden its two signature coasters, at other parks (Dominator and X-Flight/Firehawk) However, if CGA closed under CF ownership, the only CF park on the West Coast is Knott's. Knott's might get one or two rides, but most of the rides would be moved to NE parks.

To make a long point short: On the East coast, you guys are spoiled by parks. When in Pennsylvania and the states surrounding it, I don't think I was ever more than a 4 hour drive from the next major park on my NE trip. In norcal, you are stuck with SFDK, and CGA. if one is removed, that is, literally, removing half the major parks in the area. That would be like closing Hersheypark and Knoebels. You wouldn't be sad, though, because you still have Dorney and Kennywood, right? Disney, Knott's and SFMM are about a 6 hour drive south. Imagine only having one park less than a 6 hour drive away. How much fun would that be?

Don't forget you also have Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and to a lessor extent, Gilroy Gardens. Still, I hope CGA stays open and JMA improves it over the coming years. That place has potential especially with the 49ers stadium and fans coming in and being in a highly populated metro area.

I honestly think this is one of the best things that can happen to the park as of today. Essentially, now there's going to be a good relationship between the city of Santa Clara, CGA, and the 49'ers stadium project. What it seems like now, is that there will be more people/groups in favor of improving the park, and quieting the damn business neighbors. And I think by taking away the corporate operating company (Cedar Fair), CGA can become a lot more unique. There is HUGE potential for the park and the surrounding area.

Why it can be a great area?

-Public transportation is plentiful in the area (Bus service, Light Rail, Caltrain)

-Convention Center right across the street

-Golf Course right across the street

-CGA

-49'ers stadium

-A lot of large shopping centers within less than 4 miles from the park (Mercado, Rivermark, McCarthy Ranch)

I truly believe that all of these things can be good for the park and only help the area grow.

I honestly think this is one of the best things that can happen to the park as of today. Essentially, now there's going to be a good relationship between the city of Santa Clara, CGA, and the 49'ers stadium project. What it seems like now, is that there will be more people/groups in favor of improving the park, and quieting the damn business neighbors. And I think by taking away the corporate operating company (Cedar Fair), CGA can become a lot more unique. There is HUGE potential for the park and the surrounding area.

Why it can be a great area?

-Public transportation is plentiful in the area (Bus service, Light Rail, Caltrain)

-Convention Center right across the street

-Golf Course right across the street

-CGA

-49'ers stadium

-A lot of large shopping centers within less than 4 miles from the park (Mercado, Rivermark, McCarthy Ranch)

I truly believe that all of these things can be good for the park and only help the area grow.

I agree

One thing I got to thinking about, again too soon to tell...since there will be a stadium on site, I'm wondering if there's really a need for the un-shaded Redwood Amphitheater or if that can be taken out to make way for CGA's hybrid Intamin/B&M/GCI/S&S Arrow inverted wooden 4d wingrider aquatrax coaster.

You know, that makes perfect sense. Why have concerts in that dinky amphitheater when they could be in the huge stadium? Removing the theater opens up land for a great coaster and having concerts in the stadium allows a larger audience which means (way) more profit in ticket sales as well as food and beverage sales at the stadium while the park can have room to grow....I think its good for everyone this way.

There's only so many tours that could sell out a football stadium. Keeping/upgrading the amphitheater is a better option for making the area an "entertainment destination." Look at L.A. Live: they want a football stadium, already have staples center (18,000 seats), have the 7,000 seat Noka Theatre, and the 2,500 seat Club Nokia in one place.

I was just thinking about that...we're now safe from upcharge (main, high-capacity) attractions, unless JMA feels it's necessary to do such things to the park.

Thinking about things even more in terms of development, the BART train system we have here has proposed plans on making its way to San Jose. It would now be nice to see some integration between BART and the stadium...ideally, it would be cool if the station was close enough by the park, much like how there's a Colosseum station for the Raiders/A's. Realistically though, I can just see a shuttle linking to the closest BART station to the stadium/park site.

Lastly, on a different topic regarding CGA...I was transferring some old movie film which featured GA from back in the 70s, pre-tidal wave coaster, up to some footage where you can see TW's loop. Saw some footage of the Lobster ride, Yukon Yahoo signage, signage on the bridge for Yukon Territory and of course some nice stuff (offride) of Sky Whirl. Who knew? The bridge/path leading to County Fair at one point was covered. I never knew that until I came across this footage.

cf.jpg.cfa79a700c7906bfe46ec9b81fb22316.jpg

^One problem with having a Bart station is that with the Bart, gangs migrated to areas outside San Fran....I really don't want CGA to becom SFMM in 06'.

Good point... That's actually kind of what happened with one of our local malls. Since adding the Bayfair station, that mall has attracted a lot of the 'ghetto' crowd from the depths of Oakland. That mall's gone down hill sadly...and when I was a kid, it was a thriving place. While BART is convenient, it just may be too convenient.

I understand you on that point,the major parks close enough to me are KD,SFA & to a lesser extent BGW.Now if SFA closed I wouldn't feel too bad about it as they've been really coming up short(much like CGA in the past few years) but if KD wentI'd be a little more upset over it,that said CGA's biggest problem with additions/expansions seems to be the pesky neighbors & their "NIMBY" attitude as it's this attitude that cost CGA that woodie that CF wanted to install,whereas GL was doomed the instant SFI had sold it since even they knew that the park had fallen so far behind in terms of new additions that it was beyond saving.

^SFDK pretty much is "west coast SFA". They are both pretty much in scary parts of town, they both have decent mixes of coasters, and they both had awful operations. I say had because SFDK's operations have improved A LOT in the past few months.Medusa can now run three trains without stacking, and, on most other coasters, the staff are usually done checking restraints before the blocks even clear.

I can't quite see CGA becoming another SFDK or SFA, or even an early 2000's SFMM.

If you previously visited SFDK and did not enjoy your visit, I recomend giving the park another try. Back in 2008, I thought this place had the worst operations of any park I have ever been to. Operations back then even put places like Knott's and KD to shame. Yeah, they were that bad, and they are that much better now.

I was just thinking about that...we're now safe from upcharge (main, high-capacity) attractions, unless JMA feels it's necessary to do such things to the park.

Thinking about things even more in terms of development, the BART train system we have here has proposed plans on making its way to San Jose. It would now be nice to see some integration between BART and the stadium...ideally, it would be cool if the station was close enough by the park, much like how there's a Colosseum station for the Raiders/A's. Realistically though, I can just see a shuttle linking to the closest BART station to the stadium/park site.

Lastly, on a different topic regarding CGA...I was transferring some old movie film which featured GA from back in the 70s, pre-tidal wave coaster, up to some footage where you can see TW's loop. Saw some footage of the Lobster ride, Yukon Yahoo signage, signage on the bridge for Yukon Territory and of course some nice stuff (offride) of Sky Whirl. Who knew? The bridge/path leading to County Fair at one point was covered. I never knew that until I came across this footage.

I remember all that stuff and yes, there were two covered bridges but I don't know why they removed the cover on one of them.

When did this turn into the SFA thread?

Really?

I don't see BART coming to Santa Clara, it seems a little too upscale to have BART stopping at. Vallejo on the other hand...

It would be nice to have BART next door, but it wouldn't fit into the geometry of the layout of BART. I know BART's extension to San Jose is scheduled to be completed and open by 2018 (projected date) and will have a station in Milpitas next to the Great Mall where you can connect to Light Rail. BART's original plan was to have the line end at Santa Clara CalTrain, but because of less than expected revenue from the tax hike that was approved in '08 by voters, the extension had to be scaled back to a future phase of construction and instead will end at Berryessa where the Flea Market is currently.

http://www.vta.org/bart/documents/other/berryessa_phase1_factsheet.pdf