TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

hahaha This was funny

JumokeTV 3 hours ago

You can talk about attendance being up and all that, but when it comes down to it. Think they really care? They removed Invertigo when things were looking up. Demon is old, rickety, bumpy and just plain old and from what i've heard, a lot of people complain about the ride and having "pains" after riding it. Its had its run, its time is over

NorCalCummins 1 day ago

@NorCalCummins

Before another ride gets its plug pulled on it, we need to see something new come in...not just a rumor, not us playing guessing games as to what could be going in only to be disappointed when we see nothing. The Demon needs to possess the demolition equipment and turn them right back to where they came from!

AngryGumball 20 hours ago

@AngryGumball

I feel like if the Demon were to get removed though, there would be a press statement or some sort of event like one of those "Last Ride" deals. It does serve some historical significance to the park being the oldest roller coaster in the park and being one of the original Marriott attractions. I'm hoping the demolition of the Demon are just rumors. It just seems very unlikely that such a significant ride would be removed quietly.

jsjmarti 15 hours ago

I am an apprentice with the International Operating Engineers Union, Local #3. I am an apprentice excavator operator with a demolition company. They have contacted a few companies to get an estimate, my company being one.

NorCalCummins 1 day ago

@NorCalCummins

If your telling the truth then that ***** but to be honest the Demon is a really bumpy ride and hurts my head everytime I go on it so I hope they will be replacing it with something better.

TheRussianMercenary 1 day ago

Thanks for making this. It's pretty funny!

Themeparkfanman 1 day ago

Demon! Demon! Demon! Invertigo was removed and sent to Dorney park... Demon will be eatin by giant shears on the end of excavators. It will be scrapped not take apart gently it will be ripped apart and sold for scrap metal

NorCalCummins 1 day ago

Yes I know that, next year it wont be

NorCalCummins 1 day ago

makes me mad you guys contracted out a demolition team to take care of Demon. instead of removing rides why not put one in? or is this Cedar Fairs way of slowly killing the park?

NorCalCummins 1 day ago

@NorCalCummins

Demon is still at the park.

robman97 1 day ago

@NorCalCummins

Where did you hear this from? Sure you're not thinking of Invertigo?

dudeerik 1 day ago

www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=wTobqW1c0t0

Just posted all of the comments to make life easier for everyone else.

This has been an interesting day and as I mentioned, a nice thing to wake up to this morning after having an amazing day at the park yesterday. Initially, I felt like it was a massive slap to the face. As I read a couple different articles my thoughts started to change. Honestly, I think this might just be a new beginning for the park. Cedar Fair was only slowly harming it by pulling out a key attraction and only putting in 1 flat ride in the duration of their ownership. Personally, I do think the looming stadium plans were what got Cedar Fair to get motivated in throwing in the towel on the park. The Woodie project being delayed seemed to have happened during the times when the lawsuits were starting to spring up. I do hope that the city still has involvement with the project and can push it to continue under JMA's ownership.

I do wonder now, what mascots will take over the park, if Flight Deck will still be Flight Deck or if it will become some other jet-themed name...and Drop Tower...do please change the name! Lastly, I can see the haunt activities (notice I'm not calling it "Haunt" now) continue to live as this is what the park thrives off of after their summer season's over. If "Haunt-Fest" (my unofficial name for any future Haunts) continues to live, I hope that Toy Factory and CarnEvil continue to live on as well...so they don't have to change the themes/music. Does CGA hold the copyright to the music or does Cedar Fair?

In the end, I'm kind of a bit excited to see the park now be an independent park rather than having to share the attention in a larger chain... all while being cautious of another slap.

I do wonder now, what mascots will take over the park, if Flight Deck will still be Flight Deck or if it will become some other jet-themed name...and Drop Tower...do please change the name!

I've been trying to think of potential name changes. So far, I keep coming up with "Touchdown" for Drop Tower . Flight Deck and Drop Tower will most likely have new names...aren't those Cedar Fair trademarks?

Since I've completely given up hope for a new ride during this transition year, the most exciting thing about the 2012 season will be seeing the new ride names...

At this point, I wouldn't even dig as deep into new ride names. Just be happy if the park even opens next year.

I agree with Robb. Who cares what they're calling it? I just hope that this move will be the best move CGA has ever experienced.

I do wonder now, what mascots will take over the park, if Flight Deck will still be Flight Deck or if it will become some other jet-themed name...and Drop Tower...do please change the name!

I've been trying to think of potential name changes. So far, I keep coming up with "Touchdown" for Drop Tower . Flight Deck and Drop Tower will most likely have new names...aren't those Cedar Fair trademarks?

Since I've completely given up hope for a new ride during this transition year, the most exciting thing about the 2012 season will be seeing the new ride names...

Firefall could be renamed fumble

Wait...you mean you did not come across this announcement?

Great America Theme Park 2012 Announcement | 9/18/2011

New for 2012, Great America Theme Park is proud to present the PeeWee Football Field. After taking in a 49er Football game, take your young ones to the park so he or she can get an early start on the game of Football! PeeWee Football Field will be made of natural grass and feature a 50-yard field, half the size of an NFL field. Grownups can sit in the stands to cheer their young ones on! Opening March 2012!

674227570_CGAFootballField.jpg.cffec9bc41e379552cab2efaaed23216.jpg

New for '12 (This is a joke BTW)

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I liked reading all the comments on the news articles to see what the GP thought of JMA buying the park. Most of them seem mad because they way they look at it if the 49ers investors could buy a theme park then they could build a stadium. For those of you that don't know the 49ers wanted to use tax money to pay for the stadium, which I find outrageous.

Edited by robman

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. My first reaction was, "Whoa, NOT expecting that." but then I thought about it and realized it was actually quite predictable, but I wasn't expecting to hear it at this time in the year (right as Haunt is gearing up). My second reaction was sadness in thinking that they were going to dump the park, but now I'm thinking this might actually be a good thing for CGA.

I don't think I ever understood the stadium thing correctly... I thought that the stadium was planned to be built on the same grounds as CGA and that CGA would close for good, but if I'm understanding this correct, the stadium will be built near CGA and will share a parking lot. Is this correct? Does anyone have an arial view of the proposed stadium in relation to the park?

^^Good, but what's so special about just those two? Does Santa Clara consider only two rides on a piece of property as a "theme park?"

Interesting. I wonder if the Mercury knows for a fact that those two rides are staying, or they just chose any two rides to demonstrate their point.

I was thinking the same thing. In context, it seems like they just randomly named two rides that people would know, but that doesn't necessarily mean those two will stay. I guess all we can do now is wait and see and hope for the best...

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. My first reaction was, "Whoa, NOT expecting that." but then I thought about it and realized it was actually quite predictable, but I wasn't expecting to hear it at this time in the year (right as Haunt is gearing up). My second reaction was sadness in thinking that they were going to dump the park, but now I'm thinking this might actually be a good thing for CGA.

I don't think I ever understood the stadium thing correctly... I thought that the stadium was planned to be built on the same grounds as CGA and that CGA would close for good, but if I'm understanding this correct, the stadium will be built near CGA and will share a parking lot. Is this correct? Does anyone have an arial view of the proposed stadium in relation to the park?

^^Good, but what's so special about just those two? Does Santa Clara consider only two rides on a piece of property as a "theme park?"

Interesting. I wonder if the Mercury knows for a fact that those two rides are staying, or they just chose any two rides to demonstrate their point.

I was thinking the same thing. In context, it seems like they just randomly named two rides that people would know, but that doesn't necessarily mean those two will stay. I guess all we can do now is wait and see and hope for the best...

Here is where they want to build the stadium.

rsz_great_america.jpg.9b02f7c8259eb2a9006fe19985a6300e.jpg

Its hard to see but where the red circle is the location of the proposed stadium in Great Americas overflow lot.

Sorry to be a cynic, but If Cedar Fair had a hard enough time making this park profitable, what would lead people to believe that JMA is going to do anything differently? Could they do a better job to persuade the city? Perhaps. But I don't think "Amusement Park" is in Great America's future. "Entertainmet Complex"? Yes but anything outside of that, I'd have to be skeptical about. Running an amusement park takes a lot of money, more money than Cedar Fair wanted to spend in relation to what they were bringing in. I don't see a company that isn't tradionally in the business of running an amusemnet park to walk in a run a pretty big one with no experience in running one before.

I believe the stadium was to sit on the unused overflow lot, across the little creek. If I had read correctly back when the stadium ideas were surfacing, I remember seeing something about a parking structure that both stadium and park would share. Could a stadium and amusement park completely rely on a parking structure or would it be a traffic nightmare? I don't have an 'official photo' but here goes... Edit: Darn someone beat me to it!

158985202_cgastadium.jpg.46389043bc462998ae92c78d7d1a378a.jpg

park structure and location not confirmed

According to the latest statement from JMA Developments, they will continue to operate and improve the park...they seem to think building a stadium that will share the parking lot for approximately 14 days a year isn't going to be an impediment, and word is they also want to acquire the vacant lots around both facilities for expansion. As for the naysayers, perhaps a theme park can survive-if it's locally owned and operated, and not ignored by owners from a long distance away.

According to the latest statement from JMA Developments, they will continue to operate and improve the park...they seem to think building a stadium that will share the parking lot for approximately 14 days a year isn't going to be an impediment, and word is they also want to acquire the vacant lots around both facilities for expansion. As for the naysayers, perhaps a theme park can survive-if it's locally owned and operated, and not ignored by owners from a long distance away.

billylikes.jpg.b5a7458ecc54e26b4a23bc2dbf10528c.jpg

Thanks Angry_Gumball and robman! I think I understand better now.

I just realized that I never visited CGA as CGA. Last time I visited it was around 2005 and still owned by Paramount.

Sorry to be a cynic, but If Cedar Fair had a hard enough time making this park profitable, what would lead people to believe that JMA is going to do anything differently? Could they do a better job to persuade the city? Perhaps. But I don't think "Amusement Park" is in Great America's future. "Entertainmet Complex"? Yes but anything outside of that, I'd have to be skeptical about. Running an amusement park takes a lot of money, more money than Cedar Fair wanted to spend in relation to what they were bringing in. I don't see a company that isn't tradionally in the business of running an amusemnet park to walk in a run a pretty big one with no experience in running one before.

I'm thinking they might run it more like a boardwalk amusement park where each ride cost separately but entrance is free. I hope not, because if they did it would be highly unlikely that they get any good coasters or rides. Is that what you were thinking by "Entertainment Complex"?

What vacant lots are they referring too? I don't know of any that are near buy or are they talking about the parking lots?

OMG during the 6pm news on ABC 7 they showed the news about Great America. I almost spit out my dinner when they showed a very quick-blink of an eye Stealth POV. It was Stealth allright I regnoized the riding position. How funny. I think Great America is in good hands now & finally has a bright future & we will see a massive coaster like Stealth. Maybe they are already planning something good for next year!!!

OMG during the 6pm news on ABC 7 they showed the news about Great America. I almost spit out my dinner when they showed a very quick-blink of an eye Stealth POV. It was Stealth allright I regnoized the riding position. How funny. I think Great America is in good hands now & finally has a bright future & we will see a massive coaster like Stealth. Maybe they are already planning something good for next year!!!

I highly doubt anything good next year. 2013, now that's a different story. There isn't enough time and JMA isn't going to build something huge the minute they get the keys.

How can something be profitable if you remove popular attractions from it and never replace or install anything new?

I'm kind of glad this happened because now I can say 'F-U CF!' Now, with local owners this park can really be concentrated on and will have a better chance to thrive and receive new attractions.

Exactly. And I'm not sure why people are surprised Cedar Fair didn't relocate more rides before selling. They wanted to put an attractive offer out there, with the option to continue to run it as a competitive business. That wouldn't happen if you cleaned the place out.

True,but in a weak economy CF would do well to get some rides that are cheap to redistribute among the remaining 9 amusement parks in the chain(GL doesn't count of course) as a few flats,the two B&M's & perhaps the mouse coasters are worth relocating....everything else is either too old or just complete crap to consider moving to another CF park.