TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

$70 million just seems to cheap to not demolish the park and build something bigger/more profitable. It might not be immediate, but I can see JMA eventually putting the final nail in CGA's coffin.

From what I've heard about Flight Deck, I'm kind of bummed I've never been there to ride it.

I'm not the least bit surprised by this as it was clearly inevitable that CGA was never really in the "master plan" for Cedar Fair's long term growth. And I'm curious if this will have effect on Gilroy Gardens, or if that's completely separate from CGA now? This is an interesting article that says the 49ers owners are part of the financers with JMA Ventures and a little bit more about the company. I wouldn't say bye bye Great America, but I might be saying hello to 49ers land!

See, this is the kind of thing I was interested in. Thanks Hector! If JMA is even just SLIGHTLY in bed with the 49ers, then it's pretty obvious what's going to happen.

I have an interesting quandry it seems. I'm flying into San Jose next Sunday 9/25 for the week, leaving Friday, and CGA is open until 7pm that Sunday. My hotel is about 2 miles from CGAa and I'll likely have 2 hours in the park. Never been but I'm a CF platinum pass holder so its a no brainer to fit in some rides. I assume the B&M Invert is a must-rides but any others, given the likelihood that I'll never get the chance again?

I have an interesting quandry it seems. I'm flying into San Jose next Sunday 9/25 for the week, leaving Friday, and CGA is open until 7pm that Sunday. My hotel is about 2 miles from CGAa and I'll likely have 2 hours in the park. Never been but I'm a CF platinum pass holder so its a no brainer to fit in some rides. I assume the B&M Invert is a must-rides but any others, given the likelihood that I'll never get the chance again?

Flight deck is one of the most underrated coasters in my opinion. I'm working this weekend

I'm a big 49ers fan, and grew up at CGA so it's too bad that it had to happen this way, but not surprising. It will be very interesting what ends up happening with the area and the rides. I would much rather have CGA than the niners stadium (too expensive to go to a game). Guess I will have to make one final trip.

I'm quite disappointed in the news, but I too knew it was coming. I just hope it doesn't end up like Geauga lake, everything torn out, and then the land is never used. Glad to see Imperialism stronger than ever!

or Astroworld!

Stop being so negative!

“Great America is an excellent addition to our portfolio of hospitality and entertainment properties,” said Todd Chapman, CEO of JMA Ventures. “Great America is one of California’s most popular family attractions and we look forward to preserving its unique appeal while at the same time bringing new ideas and energy to the park – particularly in developing the exciting synergies that will emerge between the new stadium and Great America.”

The City of Santa Clara, which owns the land Great America is built on, must still approve the sale. If approved, JMA is expected to begin operating the park by the end of the year.

“This is great news for Santa Clara and for Great America,” said Santa Clara Mayor Jamie Matthews in a statement. “The amusement park has been an important part of our city for many years and with the addition of the stadium and other development proposals that are coming forward, we are excited about creating a premier family entertainment destination for Northern California.”

KCBS Insider Phil Matier said the move is not a big surprise.

“It’s one of the big pieces in that puzzle down there. Santa Clara said that we want the 49ers, but we also want Great America,” Matier said. “Great America felt left out of the deal. There were a lot of legal threats going back and forth, especially over parking lots and who would have rights to them. This way, the 49ers can take over the whole show.”

with that being said, NO you cannot have Flight Deck.

Edited by Nibbler

I'd imagine that with some smart marketing here this can be very lucrative. If they cross promote with the 49ers they can make a killing. Every team seems to be building an Entertainment district near their stadiums now (or someone else is doing it if they don't do it themselves)... the most famous of which probably being LA live and Patriot's place but it's also happened in places like Charlotte NC and is happening in NY/NJ with the Xanadu project and in Phillie.

Nobody likes to sit in sports traffic, so people love to hang out and spend more money for a few hours instead. If they have an entertainment complex that's anchored by a major theme park and they offer promotions with the 49ers this can be a huge hit.

^ Same here. It seemed that it was coming, the 'future attraction' they said was planned for the Invertigo site had to of been just this, the sale of the park. They kept putting off anything until this announcement was made.

That said, this might not all be a bad thing for the park or Santa Clara, granted I'm trying to stay positive as well with this announcement about the sale, but Santa Clara does lack one thing- a central Downtown/Entertainment area and this could become it (despite it's not really central though), everything is spread throughout the city as it stands right now-theaters, restaurants,etc. If the stadium does happen, the park would be a good thing to have around to be open on the days nothing is happening in the stadium.

It all might seem far fetched, but there could even be the working of something along the lines of what Paramount had proposed for some of the property (seen a few posts back as well), the Redwood Ampitheater could be replaced with something like that, same with the large entry area into the park and even the parking lot near Star Tower, the IMAX building (removed of course)and surrounding areas could be worked into that as well. But there is always the one sticking point, the lack of parking to accommodate multiple uses on the property.

Of course it's all speculation at this point and chances are none of what I said will happen with the Downtown type portion, but in the least I'd hope the park could be saved.

Edited by jab88