TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Great America hopefully in 2012:

You should totally post this on CGA's Facebook page - "2012 park map leaked!"

I was looking around on Westcoaster.net's forums, and came across this...someone estimating Cedar Fair's 2012 spending so far:

I always like to track what the other CF parks are getting. It's a bit of useless info, however CF generally spends $70 to $90 million per year across all their properties. Here is how 2012 is shaping up thus far:

Canada's Wonderland: Leviathan $28 million

Cedar Point: Dinosaurs Alive $ 1 million, mat racer for Soak City ??? $500,000 perhaps?

Carowinds: Windseeker I found it interesting that the price went up to $6.5 million

Edit (8/31/11): Dorney Park: Stinger (relocated from CGA) $10 Million

Edit (9/1/11): Kings Dominion: Windseeker and Dinosaurs Alive $7.5 million estimated

Edit (9/2/11): Kings Island: $10 million expansion to existing water park and rebranded as Soak City.

Knott's: ???

California's Great America: ???

Worlds of Fun: ???

Michigan Adventure: ???

Wildwater Kingdom: ???

Valleyfair: ???

Total: $63.5 million

http://www.westcoaster.net/community/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4330

So if Cedar Fair plans to spend approximately $10-$30 million more, and with six parks still without a new addition...looks like a few parks are going to be left out. At this point, if CGA were to get anything, a Windseeker would be the most likely, due to it being relatively inexpensive.

Someone did mention on the same thread that they heard that CGA would be getting "something."

Great America hopefully in 2012:

You should totally post this on CGA's Facebook page - "2012 park map leaked!"

I was looking around on Westcoaster.net's forums, and came across this...someone estimating Cedar Fair's 2012 spending so far:

I always like to track what the other CF parks are getting. It's a bit of useless info, however CF generally spends $70 to $90 million per year across all their properties. Here is how 2012 is shaping up thus far:

Canada's Wonderland: Leviathan $28 million

Cedar Point: Dinosaurs Alive $ 1 million, mat racer for Soak City ??? $500,000 perhaps?

Carowinds: Windseeker I found it interesting that the price went up to $6.5 million

Edit (8/31/11): Dorney Park: Stinger (relocated from CGA) $10 Million

Edit (9/1/11): Kings Dominion: Windseeker and Dinosaurs Alive $7.5 million estimated

Edit (9/2/11): Kings Island: $10 million expansion to existing water park and rebranded as Soak City.

Knott's: ???

California's Great America: ???

Worlds of Fun: ???

Michigan Adventure: ???

Wildwater Kingdom: ???

Valleyfair: ???

Total: $63.5 million

http://www.westcoaster.net/community/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4330

So if Cedar Fair plans to spend approximately $10-$30 million more, and with six parks still without a new addition...looks like a few parks are going to be left out. At this point, if CGA were to get anything, a Windseeker would be the most likely, due to it being relatively inexpensive.

Someone did mention on the same thread that they heard that CGA would be getting "something."

Go ahead post it on Facebook, I don't have an account, so go do it.

EDIT: Tell me that you're doing it, I want to see GP action!

it would probably get deleted from the FB page as it could cause issues with guests believing false information.

True.

Also, about the price of the WindSeeker, it would be less than 6 1/2 million because it's not 301', so I would estimate somewhere between 4 and 5 million.

it would probably get deleted from the FB page as it could cause issues with guests believing false information.

It was humerous enough however with some guests thinking that Zac Spin photoshopping was real (my April Fools 'prank', or trying to figure it out anyway... without even having to say "New ride opens at CGA"

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to have whoever maintains CGA's Facebook have to deal with irate fans finding that the ride isn't there, or start false rumors on there. I think they dealt with enough when Invertigo was being pulled when I initially posted the Screamscape rumor. I kindly removed it followed by several other people posting the same thing that night.

I know this very far fetched, but imagine if CGA was allowed to build a 301' WindSeeker, that would just dominate the skyline even though that Great America probably has more of a chance of getting 2 coasters in 2013 than getting a full-scale WindSeeker.

Go ahead post it on Facebook, I don't have an account, so go do it.

EDIT: Tell me that you're doing it, I want to see GP action!

Even though it's tempting, I have to hold back. The person who runs the page already has to deal with enough crazy GP, I wouldn't want to add to it.

Maybe if it was April 1st...

Windseeker not for CGA. How booring. CGA will get something much better than that I can bet you. California doesn't need a 3rd Windseeker. There's already one at SFDK & Knotts. That's enough! I'd much rather see a couple new slides for Boomerang Bay. That would be a much needed improvement. We all know it's not going to be a coaster because 2013 CGA is finally getting the custom woodie which is 100% confirmed. If you all have noticed 2 parks in the chain already announced a Windseeker so that could mean CGA isn't getting one otherwise they would have announced it already.

^^Would you say the same if somehow Skywhirl was being recreated and being put back in that spot? Essentially, it's the same kind of thing, a very mild thrill at a very high location, with the sense of uneasiness due to a small chain and a bird cage securing you.

Honestly, we don't even know whats in store for 2012 or 2013, or when that woodie is going to happen as there's no definite date set for it yet. So far, on the site that shows all of the permit statuses for CGA, nothing's shown up for any new attraction. At the moment however, there are permits for Haunt being aproved (Maze construction, facade use, etc).

The site I'm referencing is this: http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=ParcelViewParcel&shl_prc_parcel_no=104%2042%20019

Windseeker not for CGA. How booring. CGA will get something much better than that I can bet you. California doesn't need a 3rd Windseeker. There's already one at SFDK & Knotts. That's enough! I'd much rather see a couple new slides for Boomerang Bay. That would be a much needed improvement. We all know it's not going to be a coaster because 2013 CGA is finally getting the custom woodie which is 100% confirmed. If you all have noticed 2 parks in the chain already announced a Windseeker so that could mean CGA isn't getting one otherwise they would have announced it already.

Calm down. WindSeeker would be a great addition to CGA. Plus SFDK has Sky Screamer not WindSeeker, plus that's a star flyer and this one would be taller than Sky Screamer. Plus, the wooden coaster is not confirmed in 2013, who told you that? Sure, on this thread there is a lot of speculation that the wooden coaster would be built in 2013, but until the park announces the coaster, it will remain a rumor.

Honestly, we don't even know whats in store for 2012 or 2013, or when that woodie is going to happen as there's no definite date set for it yet. So far, on the site that shows all of the permit statuses for CGA, nothing's shown up for any new attraction. At the moment however, there are permits for Haunt being aproved (Maze construction, facade use, etc).

The site I'm referencing is this: http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=ParcelViewParcel&shl_prc_parcel_no=104%2042%20019

I go to that permit site everyday (sometimes multiple times a day, yes I'm desperate). If history is any indication, I'm beginning to think that we won't get anything for 2012, as the planning permit for the last new addition (Firefall, obviously) was applied for on August 16th. Unless Cedar Fair plans on announcing something before they apply for a permit, but that's unlikely.

Anyways, from the permits, it's interesting to see how large each Haunt maze is in terms of square feet. Werewolf Canyon is the largest (no surprise there) at 9,700 sq ft.

^Yea, I check that permit site every day or every other day. I typically check Screamscape as well as TPR every day to see if just maybe someone found some info, much like how you found that reapplication for the height variance for the wooden coaster. Of all though, I probably religiously check the CGA thread since there's always some kind of CGA talk here.

I go to that permit site everyday (sometimes multiple times a day, yes I'm desperate). If history is any indication, I'm beginning to think that we won't get anything for 2012, as the planning permit for the last new addition (Firefall, obviously) was applied for on August 16th. Unless Cedar Fair plans on announcing something before they apply for a permit, but that's unlikely.

Anyways, from the permits, it's interesting to see how large each Haunt maze is in terms of square feet. Werewolf Canyon is the largest (no surprise there) at 9,700 sq ft.

Though, Delirium's permit was submitted on 8/31/01 smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=BLD2001-13153

And Psycho Mouse's permit was subitted on 9/12/00 smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=BLD2000-13581

Which means from now to Sept. 15 is when the permit will be sent in, if there is one.

Random note, looks like I'll be visiting the park once again tomorrow. I am aware that it will probably be swamped with people but it's not like I haven't dealt with a busy CGA before. Anyone else going tomorrow? I'll (now that they've arrived) be wearing one of my TPR shirts...now just deciding what color: OMFG Orange or Classic Red. My cousin will be in her "Amazing Green" TPR shirt. So yea, if anyone's interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM.

And the permit thing, I feel a little more relaxed now seeing that some of these other rides had later dates. In all realism, I think before any announcement is made, we will probably see some activity on that permit site. I'd probably encourage everyone who's into CGA to probably bookmark the page.

Random note, looks like I'll be visiting the park once again tomorrow. I am aware that it will probably be swamped with people but it's not like I haven't dealt with a busy CGA before. Anyone else going tomorrow? I'll (now that they've arrived) be wearing one of my TPR shirts...now just deciding what color: OMFG Orange or Classic Red. My cousin will be in her "Amazing Green" TPR shirt. So yea, if anyone's interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM.

And the permit thing, I feel a little more relaxed now seeing that some of these other rides had later dates. In all realism, I think before any announcement is made, we will probably see some activity on that permit site. I'd probably encourage everyone who's into CGA to probably bookmark the page.

Already favorited it.

Yea, longest I waited was 1 cycle today. The second time I rode it I walked right on yet had a full gondola. I noticed (was looking for the red harness covers) that they were gone and earlier in the month, they were there. Now, Firefall needs to get all of its fire effects back on track...kind of a bummer that only 1 volcano spews out the flames. Still a fun ride, seems to run a quite intense program regardless of the single flip it does (while balancing upside down for a few seconds doing so). Often the ride fees like it's getting the 'wobbles' as it whips up and around at full speed....something the one up north doesn't do.

It's better when it's the full gondola, there are settings we have for the amount of people on it, it'll only do the one full flip with between 29-40 people on the ride. Sometimes it'll do a full flip with less than 29 riders from time to time when I am at control, I'll try to explain it, there is a few seconds more of hang time than when it has a full gondola, before flipping completely. It'd be nice if Firefall did do more than just one flip, or even one half flip on the lesser settings, but I'd not want to push Firefall right now since it's been working ok. As far as the 'wobbles' yeah, it still does it, I've noticed it when having to test ride it sometimes in the morning and especially having to test ride when we got it back (before we could open it) that was the first time I had been on it in the season and was quite honestly scared to ride it at first! I get asked often about what happened to the fire in the lower pond, the guests want to know why it's not working, from what I've heard, it's the piping for it, but it would be nice to get it working again since the ride is lacking what it's named after.

^thanks I hope I find one soon enough.... They did hear my side but it was alot of he said she said. I can understand and see where they r coming from but I would never tell someone they are gonna fall out. To tell the whole story 3 people came up I took their tickets and then they said I was being rude and called me a d*** (idk if u can swear so I bleeped it lol) then he said " I shouldn't say that to the person strapping me in" and I said " yeah u shouldn't" I guess then thought it was a threat and told on me. This is how they claim I said they would fall out

I see, well it might of come across as wrong to the guest (but then again what doesn't most of the time with what we say), but you know though, none of it would of ever really happened if they had not called you a d*** or even said the "I shouldn't say that to the person strapping me in' line.Did they still ride after the said conversation above? And your welcome-about finding another job, still hope you do soon.