TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I am sooo excited & I have the absolute best souviner from CGA & a piece of CGA history-an Invertigo road wheel. I didn't go to the Bay Area Bash at CGA but Bolliger&Mabillard posted on this site he had a 2nd one his girlfriend didn't want. He was so nice & gave me his 2nd one. A huge giant thank you to Bolliger&Mabillard. Am I lucky or what. I wonder why they didn't need those wheels for Invertigo to run at Dorney Park? Does anybody else have coaster parts from CGA? (besides an Invertigo wheel).

^ the wheels are worn, you might notice a concave to them, looks like this:

)_____(

and maybe sone other deformities. I think fresh Vekoma wheels are flat rather than concave kind of more like this:

|_____|

The wheels are concaved to put less stress on the friction wheels.

As the wheels wear the actual diameter gets smaller. If you were to measure your wheel against a new one (not that you could) your wheel would be a tad bit smaller, there is a gauge they use to determine when the wheel is too small and needs replacing. Plus I don't think they would give away a new, pricey wheel but also you are lucky to have one....I'm jealous! I always wanted an Intamin wheel because their name is on it.

It would be neat if you could frame it in a box with glass and hang it on the wall!

I wonder why my track streak isn't in the center. & My wheel doesn't seem to have a concave. I posted a pic of it a page back. I was certinally lucky to have ridden Invertigo 3 times in a row last year(had to get off & go around)-what a nice ending but 3 times is a bit much for that kind of boomerang. Hey can everyone post a pic of their wheel? I'd like to see everyone else's.

I wonder why my track streak isn't in the center. & My wheel doesn't seem to have a concave. I posted a pic of it a page back. I was certinally lucky to have ridden Invertigo 3 times in a row last year(had to get off & go around)-what a nice ending but 3 times is a bit much for that kind of boomerang. Hey can everyone post a pic of their wheel? I'd like to see everyone else's.

Maybe it was used as one of the guide or upstop wheels as on that ride those don't contact the track all the time like the road wheels do, so that might explain it. I think if it was a road wheel the dark spot would be more in the center and more pronounced, but I don't know for sure but from what I remember the road, guide, and upstop wheels were all the same (size). Still, its a really neat thing to have especially if that ride meant something to you.

Some coasters use flat wheels for the guide wheels I believe and if this one is flat it could have been a guide wheel, maybe someone who has worked on this ride could clear this up.

^I think she mentioned getting the larger road wheel. Are upstops and guide wheels the same size? Never really paid attention.

Just got back from CGA today. A nice contrast to how the summer's been. The only coaster that really had some sort of line (excluding Psycho) was Flight Deck, starting in the roll up door area. Anyone with a low tolerance of waiting 5 minutes to ride would be dissatisfied. I thought I saw Coasterbeagle based on a name a TPR member told me but was wrong. I did however run into Sunfire a couple times today. Hadn't seen him in a while. Demon had no waits except front row and Grizzly was a 2-3 train wait. Vortex was no wait except front row and had 1 pleasant ride on Train 1 and a nasty ride on Train 2. Someone had puked on #2's front row later in the day and I got the joy of seeing residue from what was hopefully the solution they used to clean it. Still kind of grossed out now, should really hit the shower now

Also did Boomerang Bay for the last time this season, was nice to not really have to wait in huge lines. Did all slides and pools (with exception of the partially working Jackaroo Landing). It did get busier later in the day but I was back into theme park mode so it didn't affect me.

And to my surprise when leaving Grizzly... After almost a month after the event, I saw these guys still hanging out by Grizzly.

336968_1482576160317_1711232018_718583_5691451_o.thumb.jpg.1ee0b0ccf4a51bf9834da012213df011.jpg

Edited by Angry_Gumball

^Invertigo wheels? Looks like a few have the brown mark off center.

Maybe the guides are smaller than the other two, gosh, I've ridden so many times and looked at the wheels but I don't remember but I'm pretty sure the road and upstops are the same wheel.

I do remember one very interesting ride on it though. I sat in the middle of the train and one of the road wheels on that car had a flat spot, so it was thumping as it rolled, imagine what that was like when it was going fast! Thump thump thump....

^Invertigo wheels? Looks like a few have the brown mark off center.

Maybe the guides are smaller than the other two, gosh, I've ridden so many times and looked at the wheels but I don't remember but I'm pretty sure the road and upstops are the same wheel.

I do remember one very interesting ride on it though. I sat in the middle of the train and one of the road wheels on that car had a flat spot, so it was thumping as it rolled, imagine what that was like when it was going fast! Thump thump thump....

I've ridden one of those Razor scooters before that had a flat spot on its wheels...exactly how you described it...thump, thump...

And yes, this was our grab pile after ERT on Grizzly.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

^Wow, that really does suck. I'm sorry to hear. I was one of the three guys that got the free ride you promised, I was the medium guy (in height) along with James and Jimmy (the smaller guy.) Why were you fired?

^ it's all good I think is for the best cause I live south San Jose so it was a ways away and I need something more steady then a seasonal job. Yeah I remember u, glad u had fun.... Their was a misunderstanding between a guest and I and they thought I said they were gonna fall off the ride. I was hoping they would but no luck lol jk. They were just being rude and then complained about me. People at skyflyer r pissed and think it wasn't fair

^I think she mentioned getting the larger road wheel. Are upstops and guide wheels the same size? Never really paid attention.

Just got back from CGA today. A nice contrast to how the summer's been. The only coaster that really had some sort of line (excluding Psycho) was Flight Deck, starting in the roll up door area. Anyone with a low tolerance of waiting 5 minutes to ride would be dissatisfied. I believe I saw Coasterbeagle several times throughout the day and at closing. I also ran into Sunfire a couple times today as well. Demon had no waits except front row and Grizzly was a 2-3 train wait. Vortex was no wait except front row and had 1 pleasant ride on Train 1 and a nasty ride on Train 2. Someone had puked on #2's front row later in the day and I got the joy of seeing residue from what was hopefully the solution they used to clean it. Still kind of grossed out now, should really hit the shower now

Also did Boomerang Bay for the last time this season, was nice to not really have to wait in huge lines. Did all slides and pools (with exception of the partially working Jackaroo Landing). It did get busier later in the day but I was back into theme park mode so it didn't affect me.

And to my surprise when leaving Grizzly... After almost a month after the event, I saw these guys still hanging out by Grizzly.

Firefall had no wait for the most part either today, about a cycle if the line had more than 40 people in it. We did end up getting back the two seats that had the red harness covers on them (that so many guests sat in anyways, and in turn having to take time to make everyone move over one seat) bringing 40 seats total again. Knock on wood, the ride has had no downtime either, like it was when we got it back in July.

Vomit is a pain to clean, especially when it's on the ride itself. When it happened on Firefall last season (hasn't happened yet this season, but then the ride has only been back for a short time), I had the pleasure of having to clean it up and even when it was cleaned after with cleaner, the smell lingered through the day and the guests could smell it and generally were hesitant to sit in the are where it happened.

I got fired on Saturday from great America. Sucks

That does suck and it does seem rather unfair how it was handled- did they even listen to your side of the story? I highly doubt you'd tell a guest that they were going to fall off the ride but typical of guests though, hearing things incorrectly and then complaining about it later. Hope that you are able to find another job soon. I know many retail stores are hiring right now (both seasonal and permanent positions) as I've applied at my share of them over the past few months.

Firefall had no wait for the most part either today, about a cycle if the line had more than 40 people in it. We did end up getting back the two seats that had the red harness covers on them (that so many guests sat in anyways, and in turn having to take time to make everyone move over one seat) bringing 40 seats total again. Knock on wood, the ride has had no downtime either, like it was when we got it back in July.

Vomit is a pain to clean, especially when it's on the ride itself. When it happened on Firefall last season (hasn't happened yet this season, but then the ride has only been back for a short time), I had the pleasure of having to clean it up and even when it was cleaned after with cleaner, the smell lingered through the day and the guests could smell it and generally were hesitant to sit in the are where it happened.

Yea, longest I waited was 1 cycle today. The second time I rode it I walked right on yet had a full gondola. I noticed (was looking for the red harness covers) that they were gone and earlier in the month, they were there. Now, Firefall needs to get all of its fire effects back on track...kind of a bummer that only 1 volcano spews out the flames. Still a fun ride, seems to run a quite intense program regardless of the single flip it does (while balancing upside down for a few seconds doing so). Often the ride fees like it's getting the 'wobbles' as it whips up and around at full speed....something the one up north doesn't do.

^thanks I hope I find one soon enough.... They did hear my side but it was alot of he said she said. I can understand and see where they r coming from but I would never tell someone they are gonna fall out. To tell the whole story 3 people came up I took their tickets and then they said I was being rude and called me a d*** (idk if u can swear so I bleeped it lol) then he said " I shouldn't say that to the person strapping me in" and I said " yeah u shouldn't" I guess then thought it was a threat and told on me. This is how they claim I said they would fall out