TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

More good news for attendance, from Cedar Fair's second quarter earnings conference:

The strongest region this quarter was our western region where our parks in California reported an increase of more than 10% in revenues, a result of both higher attendance and average in-park guest per capita spending...our campaigns in the western region placed a renewed focus on our seasons pass customers at California’s Great America and continued our momentum from last year at Knott’s Berry Farm. This region also reported strength in group business attendance through this past weekend a result of a more renewed and targeted sales program.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/284416-cedar-fair-s-ceo-discusses-q2-2011-results-earnings-call-transcript

I'm pretty sure we will at least get a new scare zone to replace that one. My friend who does haunt said he hadn't heard about one but let's hope. On the subject of Halloween they are making a haunted house at the Winchester mystery house that looks amazing, so at least that's new if ga doesn't get anything

They do that every year. It's the flashlight tours. They can't do things to it like haunt because it's a historical landmark. It would be disrespectful to mess with the house. That house is creepy in itself.

Actually it is a maze.

Check it out!

http://winchestermysteryhouse.com/frightnights.cfm

Does anyone know the reason why they didn't put Hypersonic XLC in at Great America? I know it was supposed to go in but they ended up sending it to Kings Dominion.

The reason for the ride being cancelled at CGA was because KD had cancelled their originial plan to build the vekoma flyer(it ended up at SFA causing them to cancel a planned B&M standup) due to stealth being a major disappointment.

CGA wasn't missing a thing though as HSXLC proved to be a POS in it's own right & was a real pain in the rear for them to keep operating & was rough as heck & in all honesty was not a very good ride as far as layout & experience was concerned.

We would have lost the train anyway because of Psycho Mouse...or we wouldn't have had Psycho Mouse at all, thus putting the last major coaster to be built back to 1993...I'm sure that would have looked good for the park if their newest coaster's almost 20 years old.

The train would have been nice to have however we have Eagle's Flight to pretty much provide the same amount of transportation to and from the front and back of the park.

^^Unless they were to put Psycho Mouse were Tiki Twirl (Survivor) is located today. Anyway I read on Screamscape that Cedar Fair purchased three Windseekers and according to him there is strong rumors that one could go to Kings Dominion and to Worlds of Fun. So that leaves one more, could it go to CGA I have no idea I know its not a new coaster but at least its a new ride and maybe we could see a new coaster in 2013.

^^Unless they were to put Psycho Mouse were Tiki Twirl (Survivor) is located today. Anyway I read on Screamscape that Cedar Fair purchased three Windseekers and according to him there is strong rumors that one could go to Kings Dominion and to Worlds of Fun. So that leaves one more, could it go to CGA I have no idea I know its not a new coaster but at least its a new ride and maybe we could see a new coaster in 2013.

^^^^Okay, I think it all makes sense, now. That should fit in Invertigo's former spot. Also, I can see CF coming up with a fairly nasty add stating that their Windseeker is twice the height of Sky Screamer.

Although, is Invertigo's spot within the height restriction? Being close to Demon, I could see that. I have yet to ride a Windseeker, but I have been fairly unimpressed with SFDK's version. However, later this summer I will ride both of the Ohio ones and sometime, probably next year, I will make my way out to Knott's. After riding these, I hope doubling the height makes the ride more than double the fun. I would rather have a new Roller Skater than a 150' Starflyer; at least that can count as a credit.

Actually, even more of this makes sense now. SFDK probably got a Starflyer as opposed to a drop tower to avoid similarities with Drop Tower at CGA, right? So, if CGA got a Windseeker, they would completely corner SFDK in the flat-ride category. (Their best one (Hammerhead) has more downtime than a GIB)

Actually, even more of this makes sense now. SFDK probably got a Starflyer as opposed to a drop tower to avoid similarities with Drop Tower at CGA, right? So, if CGA got a Windseeker, they would completely corner SFDK in the flat-ride category. (Their best one (Hammerhead) has more downtime than a GIB)

Well, both CGA and SFDK have a Top Spin, swinging inverter rides, spinning pendulum (Delirium and Taz), Rapids, Shoot the Chutes. SCBB and CGA both have drop towers and very similar swinging pendulums. Coaster-wise, CGA and SFDK have inverted, wooden coasters, and at one point, Vekoma shuttle coasters. So in this sense, I don't think it would stop/prevent Cedar Fair from putting in a Windseeker.

^That is exactly my point. CGA can announce superiority in flat rides, since most of their flats are the same as at SFDK. They have a few more in the mix, but the only thing SFDK has that CGA does not is a Starflyer, but that has the potential of changing. If anything, though, CGA should be focusing on new coasters; that is the only thing of which they are on par with SFDK on. SFDK has a few good ones, but no real standouts, while GCA has one standout, but very little else. (When I say standout, I mean "top 50" material)

Haunt is looking good this year, I'm gonna be in toy factory

I'm either going to be a Supervisor this year or go back as the Sliding Groom for the 3rd year in a row.. at least this year i'll get to wander the park

As to the suggestion of a maze in the wave pool, basic pool care 101: never walk on the bottom of a pool if it has no water in it, shoe prints will become imbedded in the foundation and will ruin the pool.. not a good idea

Talent is a lof of fun (I've done 4x years at Knotts, this is my 3rd year at CGA)

Picnic Pavilion is where the Boofet is held, also the area behind the redwood stage is too un-even not to mention there are still events that use redwood while haunt is in progress (Cheerleader days)

Where in TF are you this year?