TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Yeah, I kind of have a strange feeling that Firefall may be getting removed soon.

However, maybe they will remove it for the 2012 ride! Think about it, you have Invertigo's old space, Greezed Lightnin's old space, and (if it does gets removed) Firefall's old space! Maybe that is what it is!

I found the website for the Santa Clara Permit Center. This is what I found for CGA:

http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=ParcelViewParcel&shl_prc_parcel_no=104%2042%20019

Scroll down to the permits with "2011" in the title for the latest. I'd recommend that everyone keeps checking this site, interesting stuff. Also interesting that they applied for a permit to remove Invertigo before the rumor hit the Internet. The "Landscape Plan" was also approved in the same permit...

Some other cool things, like the removal of the seats in the Pictorium in 2008 and the addition of a stage in the building in the same year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there originally plans to build an indoor coaster themed to MTV or something like that a few years back when Paramount still owned the parks?

M-TV Sound Wave. It was more a retheme to the Flight of Fears actually at KD and KI to my knowledge. I do remember a BUNCH of concept arts like an Addam's Family themed drop coaster also.

On a different note, I heard my boss talking about now that it is suggested (again) and could be possible for the 49ers and Raiders to share a stadium. On that note, I can't really see both teams sharing a stadium in Santa Clara, but something a little more central in the bay area (which would make much more sense). Of course, the 49ers want their stadium next to CGA while the Raiders Al Davis prefers to have it on the Oakland site. So here goes more delays...hopefully Cedar Fair says 'screw the 49ers, let's move forward with this park!'

I went today and had a nice day. Hardly a wait on all rides. Finally got on Physco Mouse just after opening-no line so I went 2 times. It's a nice little coaster. The Grizzly OMG seemed very smooth-smoothest I've ever seen it on my second time on it. I'm so glad they fixed that first drop so your head doesn't snap down everytime. It's so much better. & I didn't even notice the 10 min turnaround. The Demon was actually pleasant through the loops not brutal like it has been. Got a good ride on Vortex too. Flight Deck I always get good rides. I just couldn't believe it! All slides in Jackaroo Landing were open!!! But I wasn't prepared for Boomerang Bay today. Have all the Jackaroo Landing slides been open for days or just for today only? & Why were the 3 big slides closed? They have never been closed all times I have gone. I'm going again in 2 weeks & they better all be still open! I love the slight airtime you get on Whitewater Falls & Loggers Run going over the bump on the hill. I like standing on the bridge to get wetter. But isn't Monsoon Falls at SFDK much wetter both on the boat & bridge? I remember it is. I wish they would get rid of the Spongebob movie in the Action Theater & put something like the Temple movie(I enjoyed that one) & Back To The Future. Those would be alot more cooler. I coaster could fit nicely in the Pictorium. & Where Invertigo was & streching out over the walkway. When will we hear the announcement? It's already end of July & so far nothing.

I would really like to see some new slides over at boomerang bay, I think that park could use a couple more slides.

As for the dry park, I thing anything but a Windseeker would be nice. Its not that I don't think Windseekers aren't cool, its just do to the fact that SFDK just got a ride much like it, so it wouldn't make to much sense to add one. But then again, Cedar fair did add 3 of the 4 Windseekers at neighboring CF parks....

August seems to be the official "announcement" month. I noticed on the Santa Clara permit website (my new favorite site for the day) that they applied for a permit for "New Top Spin Attraction" in August of 2007.

I found something possibly noteworthy on the Santa Clara Planning Committee's website. Apparently, last month Cedar Fair requested a two-year extension for the 111-foot height variance for a wooden coaster, at least in my understanding. Here's a screenshot from the committee's meeting agenda:

cgaplanning.JPG.c31892fe3d1e60013905d9567c719700.JPG

http://santaclaraca.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=5637

Seems a bit strange that Cedar Fair requested an extension even though the project is supposedly dead?

Edited by Flagg O'Dim

August seems to be the official "announcement" month. I noticed on the Santa Clara permit website (my new favorite site for the day) that they applied for a permit for "New Top Spin Attraction" in August of 2007.

I found something possibly noteworthy on the Santa Clara Planning Committee's website. Apparently, last month Cedar Fair requested a two-year extension for the 111-foot height variance for a wooden coaster, at least in my understanding. Here's a screenshot from the committee's meeting agenda:

[attachment=0]cgaplanning.JPG[/attachment]

Seems a bit strange that Cedar Fair requested an extension even though the project is supposedly dead?

Interesting, that they applied for a 2 year extension for the 111 foot height variance, wonder what they have planned in regards to the wooden coaster, surely they would just not apply for an extension just for the sake of doing so (but then again who knows), but I thought Prudential and their offices next door had put an end to the coaster ever happening.

As far as the permit website,interesting, thanks for sharing the link. It shows everything they've applied for, even down to when rides were first built in the 1970s, such as for the building of Turn of the Century and it's later conversion into the Demon to ones filed for the removal of Stealth and construction of Boomerang Bay. Apparently they also plan to remodel the remaining restrooms in the park as permits are filed for remodel of the ones by Vortex, Orleans Place, Whitewater Falls, Delirium and Eagle's Flight. Hopefully that's not all we'll see for next season is remodeled restrooms....

^Now why would they do that if they were going to get rid of the park? Grizzly is not 111 feet tall, I don't think, so...

Grizzly is 91 ft (according to RCDB).

Nice find Flagg O'Dim! To be honest, I'm now starting to think the park might be around for a little more. Like Tmcdllr said, why would they apply for a two-year extension for a 111 ft. wooden coaster last month, if they are supposedly selling the park? I'm still prepared for the worst, but that extension looks like a good sign IMO.

Maybe they still plan to build it where the Redwood Amphitheater is located. It hardly ever gets used and it could be a great location for the coaster because its not located near any of the office buildings.

Redwood is primarily used for our bigger events (Spring Celebration, Kababayan, etc etc etc)

^Now why would they do that if they were going to get rid of the park? Grizzly is not 111 feet tall, I don't think, so...

I would guess a two year extension was filed for the wooden coaster simply because that is the timeframe in which Cedar Fair expects the Niners situation to be settled one way or another.

Nothing matters until they actually build it. It will be interesting to see tho because if Cedar Fair builds a wooden coaster it would be an investment in the park that they couldn't just pack up and move it out in a few years if they decide to build the stadium.

I just hope Cedar Fair really realizes what the park does for its community, it provides hundreds and hundreds of people jobs. And in this economy losing a whole park would not be good at all. So hopefully Cedar Fair will turn around and actually invest some money in the park.

Maybe they still plan to build it where the Redwood Amphitheater is located. It hardly ever gets used and it could be a great location for the coaster because its not located near any of the office buildings.

Redwood is primarily used for our bigger events (Spring Celebration, Kababayan, etc etc etc)

Well jab88 posted this picture a few pages back. It shows that they did plan to build it where the Amphitheater is located. So they could still plan on it, but who knows.

1405431806_greatamericacoaster-10a.thumb.jpg.dba554f78751fa1307325d89d64ea033.jpg

After visiting the park today, I now realize that there is a lot of good room for a decent size coaster in the park. If Knott's had that kind of space, they'd be packing rides in all over that area. The park really needs to take a good look at this (as well as Cedar Fair) as I'm rather afraid that they don't realize the kind of potential this park has (both in terms of space and just as an overall park.)