TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

When I'm ride op at rue le dodge. I try to guest relate before I open the gate about the rules. Saying the rules multiple times before the ride starts gives you a reason to stop. The only bumping you can't do is head on. The reason for this rule is the high probability for injury. No ride op wants to see a person get hurt so that's why we say it or stop the ride. What worries me the most on rue le dodge is the height. Even though ride specs say it's ok for 48 inches people to ride it always makes me nervous. They have to stretch to reach the gas pedal. I height check very well and to me I think it should be higher for safety reasons. I mean didn't they do that at the Matterhorn at Disney land for the new trains?

I too, can get pretty strict with rules, especially working at Whitewater Falls. A boat with no seatbelts, what could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, sometimes ride ops can be strict, but it's tough when you have half the GP COMPLETELY ignoring our safety spiels requiring us to put our "follow the rules" face on. That said, I don't think us ride ops should ever have to yell or sound mean on the PA. We're just following the policies Cedar Fair trained us and requires us to follow.

Yeah, I mean, I don't like doing it, being strict with them, but when they don't listen at all at times and I do agree it's tough, they don't realize that they could hurt themselves, others around them, and even us, such as one other time at Swings, a guest decided to kick both their shoes off while the ride was in motion, one flew out of the ride area and in the walkway between the raised planter and Swings.

Edited by jab88

I was relieved from Rue Le Dodge for a break by Ryan. My basic spiel is the typical one but I also add "also you must go in the direction of the arrows at all times and there is no head on bumping" What people have to remember is if you go in the direction of the arrows you won't get stuck. Instead of stopping the ride, I tell people to turn the wheel if they are stuck. Since I have warned people in the beginning about the rule of arrows and head on bumping I do have a right to stop the ride but it would only be a case if the person does it for a long period of time without clearly listening. The only time I have had to press E stop is when some GP jumped out of the car to retrieve her purse. Now I tell people that they either put it in the cubbies or put it down below and not on the seat.

Another thing is after the ride ends I tell them to walk to the exit. I'm usually the rule nazi on that aspect. Just don't want people to hurt themselves. "Please walk to the exit do not run. This is for your own safety please walk to the exit. Please WALK! to the exit. DO NOT RUN! this is for your own safety. Thank you"

I realize that Ryan was doing his job, and I'm sure I would've done the same thing if I was in his position. But it just annoys me when one GP has to ruin the experience and make the whole (rule-following) group look bad. Some GP, typically middle-schoolers, are completely oblivious to what the ride operator is saying.

I too, can get pretty strict with rules, especially working at Whitewater Falls. A boat with no seatbelts, what could possibly go wrong?

I've seen some kids standing up all the way down the drop on WWF, and no, it was not from the airtime! That reminds of one incident a couple years ago. Some stupid kid was standing up while the boat was entering the station, and the ride operator said "Please sit down" at least five times. After the kid kept ignoring him, the ride op yelled out "Do you understand English?" I thought that was kind of funny..

It's an unfortunate thing that those people who feel that rules don't apply to them can ruin an experience for all of us that do have some common sense. Last time at GA, I watched some 12-13 year old kid hop up onto the spinning satellite in Flight Deck's queue, thinking he was such a hardcore guy for doing so. Personally, I would have laughed if he fell off and hurt himself in the process. I haven't had any strict operators on the bumper cars yet and in the end, I'd say they are only strict (and possibly irritable) when people start acting stupid and breaking rules possibly endangering themselves and others around them. After so many times of saying "Remain seated/put your stuff away!" I would probably call the people out to embarrass the **** out of them. I've been nailed by someone's hat on a junior coaster and that didn't feel too good; the brim of the hat got me just below the eye.

As far as the younger set who check their brains at the front lockers, partially, I blame the parents as they drop the kids off and expect CGA to do the babysitting for them. That's why the poor 4-year-old kid drowned in the wave pool a few years ago.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

It's an unfortunate thing that those people who feel that rules don't apply to them can ruin an experience for all of us that do have some common sense. Last time at GA, I watched some 12-13 year old kid hop up onto the spinning satellite in Flight Deck's queue, thinking he was such a hardcore guy for doing so. Personally, I would have laughed if he fell off and hurt himself in the process. I haven't had any strict operators on the bumper cars yet and in the end, I'd say they are only strict (and possibly irritable) when people start acting stupid and breaking rules possibly endangering themselves and others around them. After so many times of saying "Remain seated" I would probably call the people out to embarrass the **** out of them.

I would love to call people out unfortunately it is against either CF policy or CGA's. All I know is that I am not allowed to do it. I think it's why most of the ride ops, including me, say we will stop the ride if the person keeps breaking the rules.

When I'm ride op at rue le dodge. I try to guest relate before I open the gate about the rules. Saying the rules multiple times before the ride starts gives you a reason to stop. The only bumping you can't do is head on. The reason for this rule is the high probability for injury. No ride op wants to see a person get hurt so that's why we say it or stop the ride. What worries me the most on rue le dodge is the height. Even though ride specs say it's ok for 48 inches people to ride it always makes me nervous. They have to stretch to reach the gas pedal. I height check very well and to me I think it should be higher for safety reasons. I mean didn't they do that at the Matterhorn at Disney land for the new trains?

Way back in the day(back in 82) I had to find out the hard way why they tell you NOT to run when exiting the bumper cars as that surface is slicker than snot & I ended up taking the "trip" so to speak when exiting KD's kiddie bumper cars that day.I ended up with some pretty skinned knees as a result of that & have always walked out of the bumper car building upon the end of the ride ever since.

It's an unfortunate thing that those people who feel that rules don't apply to them can ruin an experience for all of us that do have some common sense. Last time at GA, I watched some 12-13 year old kid hop up onto the spinning satellite in Flight Deck's queue, thinking he was such a hardcore guy for doing so. Personally, I would have laughed if he fell off and hurt himself in the process. I haven't had any strict operators on the bumper cars yet and in the end, I'd say they are only strict (and possibly irritable) when people start acting stupid and breaking rules possibly endangering themselves and others around them. After so many times of saying "Remain seated" I would probably call the people out to embarrass the **** out of them.

I would love to call people out unfortunately it is against either CF policy or CGA's. All I know is that I am not allowed to do it. I think it's why most of the ride ops, including me, say we will stop the ride if the person keeps breaking the rules.

I'm a supervisor over at Demon, and just so you know, you ARE allowed to call a guest out if they are breaking a rule. For example, if someone's sitting on the handrails in the queue line, after doing the "Please do not sit on the handrails" spiel a few times, if the person doesn't listen, try saying "Will the guest in the green shirt wearing a red hat please get off the handrails." Either they will notice you and get off, or a person near them will flag their attention and tell them to get off. It works almost every time for me, and other supervisors agree to do the same.

The only bumping you can't do is head on.

No head-on bumping in bumper cars? What's this world coming to? Next CF's gonna say No screaming on roller coasters. I guess I'm giving CF too much credit since this is the same company that doesn't operate their rides in a single drop of rain.

Even though ride specs say it's ok for 48 inches people to ride it always makes me nervous. They have to stretch to reach the gas pedal. I height check very well and to me I think it should be higher for safety reasons.

When I do seatbelt checks on bumper cars and I see someone that might be too short for the ride, I ask them to reach down to the pedal and push it. If they can, they're good to go. If not, I ask them to ride with their parents. I had a problem with this twice earlier in the season so I decided this was the best way to take care of it. Generally speaking, if they're between a certain height requirement, they must ride with somebody else.

--

I've actually only had to press my E-Stop button once for a kid that fell out of his bumper car. Most of the other times, I'll manually stop the ride and call the person out over the microphone (generally this is for the unfortunate people that got broken cars and think it's okay to stand up and walk out onto an electrified track filled with 20 or so moving cars).

For operating swings, I have to deal with swingers and people who twist in their seats as well as the people that think it's fun to form chains. I call them out before the ride starts (I actually had a run in with someone who thought it would be cool to swing back and forth... not pretty) and they comply. People who kick their shoes off are pretty annoying as well.

And then there's the parents that try to ride the kiddie rides with their kids thinking they can actually fit inside of a tiny airplane or bumper car. Then the genius parents that sneak their little kids that are clearly too short to ride, on the ride. And then proceed to bitch and moan about me not letting them on when they're clearly too short to ride. Then there's the middle schoolers... those guys are a hoot (most are level-headed, but the non-level headed ones are completely obnoxious).

Luckily a lot more people follow the rules than you'd think.

The only bumping you can't do is head on.

No head-on bumping in bumper cars? What's this world coming to? Next CF's gonna say No screaming on roller coasters. I guess I'm giving CF too much credit since this is the same company that doesn't operate their rides in a single drop of rain.

Even though ride specs say it's ok for 48 inches people to ride it always makes me nervous. They have to stretch to reach the gas pedal. I height check very well and to me I think it should be higher for safety reasons.

When I do seatbelt checks on bumper cars and I see someone that might be too short for the ride, I ask them to reach down to the pedal and push it. If they can, they're good to go. If not, I ask them to ride with their parents. I had a problem with this twice earlier in the season so I decided this was the best way to take care of it. Generally speaking, if they're between a certain height requirement, they must ride with somebody else.

--

I've actually only had to press my E-Stop button once for a kid that fell out of his bumper car. Most of the other times, I'll manually stop the ride and call the person out over the microphone (generally this is for the unfortunate people that got broken cars and think it's okay to stand up and walk out onto an electrified track filled with 20 or so moving cars).

For operating swings, I have to deal with swingers and people who twist in their seats as well as the people that think it's fun to form chains. I call them out before the ride starts (I actually had a run in with someone who thought it would be cool to swing back and forth... not pretty) and they comply. People who kick their shoes off are pretty annoying as well.

And then there's the parents that try to ride the kiddie rides with their kids thinking they can actually fit inside of a tiny airplane or bumper car. Then the genius parents that sneak their little kids that are clearly too short to ride, on the ride. And then proceed to bitch and moan about me not letting them on when they're clearly too short to ride. Then there's the middle schoolers... those guys are a hoot (most are level-headed, but the non-level headed ones are completely obnoxious).

Luckily a lot more people follow the rules than you'd think.

Well at CGA we ran flight deck while it was pouring rain. It has to rain a straight 15 minutes in order to shut down the ride. At Rue Le dodge I stop people before they go on so I can height check them. I don't let them sneak past me. The only reason they would sneak past you is if you didn't care. You can recommend that they can go into with their parents but if they are 48 inches they can ride by themselves. I beg to differ on following rules statement. I work at an ice rink as well and GP don't follow rules. The main one on bumper cars that people don't go in the same direction which causes jam ups.

At Rue Le dodge I stop people before they go on so I can height check them. I don't let them sneak past me. The only reason they would sneak past you is if you didn't care. You can recommend that they can go into with their parents but if they are 48 inches they can ride by themselves.

There's a reason why I know the parents are sneaking their kids on the ride. The key word is "try" to sneak their kids on the ride. I'm always standing in front of the line with a height stick to stop anyone under the height limit. Here kids between 42 in. and 48 in. are required to ride with parents, but over 48, can ride by themselves. Of course the 48 inch kids might have trouble pushing the pedal so you have to watch for that (that's what I do when I walk around the track).

As for the rain, the rides stay open in rain unless there's a thunderstorm and/or damaging winds. I remember operating rides while it was pouring straight through.

About head-on collisions, I've watched a few head-ons on RLD before (the first time I rode it, when it had no island). It looked quite painful to watch the riders heads suddenly jolt forward. Atleast a smash from the side or rear is less jarring. I still wish that divider wasn't there, that's half of why there's pileups. People can't drive, they get stuck by the divider, another gets stuck at the wall and next thing you know the people behind get stuck as the kid sits there doing nothing.

About rain, I'm not sure what the park's policies are other than knowing that Psycho Mouse is closed along with Survivor and all of the 2-train coasters go to single train mode (got my first 'watch a transfer track in action' credit last year when it was raining). I remember riding Invertigo in the pouring rain...was a crazy ride!

At Rue Le dodge I stop people before they go on so I can height check them. I don't let them sneak past me. The only reason they would sneak past you is if you didn't care. You can recommend that they can go into with their parents but if they are 48 inches they can ride by themselves.

There's a reason why I know the parents are sneaking their kids on the ride. The key word is "try" to sneak their kids on the ride. I'm always standing in front of the line with a height stick to stop anyone under the height limit. Here kids between 42 in. and 48 in. are required to ride with parents, but over 48, can ride by themselves. Of course the 48 inch kids might have trouble pushing the pedal so you have to watch for that (that's what I do when I walk around the track).

Yea on Rue Le Dodge you have to be 48 inches to actually be physically on the ride. If the kid is under they can ride the bumper cars at kidsville.

As for the rain, the rides stay open in rain unless there's a thunderstorm and/or damaging winds. I remember operating rides while it was pouring straight through.

Hi guys! Not sure If I'm replying correctly, but I visited the park today, Memorial Day, and I wanted to offer some thoughts and impressions.I didn't do a TR because I didn't want to carry a camera around, but I still wanted to weigh in on a few things. I should tell you, for better or worse, I have grown up going to this park once or twice a year every year since childhood, so I feel a connection to it in spite of ups and downs. My dad and I took my 10 year-old cousin because we'd all scored 2011 season passes last year at the end of the season, and she has been begging us to go. Dad and I kept ours, but we came to find out that my cousin lost hers, so we split the cost of paying for her ticket up front,(with the season pass upgrade at no extra charge) thinking that at 10 she could qualify for the child's price, (which was only like 35.99) However, We were surprised to find that she was charged as an adult because the company decides those kinds of things by height, not age. Although she is somewhat tall for her age, I wouldn't consider her a giant, so this surprised me a bit. I'm not really a number-cruncher, but I think we had to pay an extra 10-15 bucks for an adult ticket. I'm not irate about it, but it was like a "wow! ok...." kind of moment. I was expecting Memorial Day to be totally jammed from the get-go, but because we got there at opening, we were able to do a decent amount the first hour. However, after that time, things got packed, resulting in a 2 hour wait for the old-fashioned cars, (!) and an hour wait for the Demon, for example. Being (somewhat) of a theme park enthusiast, I expected these kinds of waits on Memorial Day, so I felt okay about it. On a positive note, the park looked great, all of the employees that I came into contact with were pleasant and helpful, and I did not see any really obnoxious line-jumping on the rides. However, the food operations were a negative for me. All of the food places at the food court had really long, slow-moving lines. So I thought I could beat some of the crowds at the stand where I got my nachos and soda, but there was only ONE employee working at the stand! As a result, It took me 20 minutes to get my nachos. (And they def. could have used more cheese! ) Granted, the girl who served me was very polite, I just thought the food court was kind of under-staffed for a holiday weekend. Overall, we had an enjoyable day, and I'm looking forward to going back and using the water slides when it gets warmer!

^They charge by height because height determines how many rides you can ride. Most parks start charging the adult price at 48" because that is the height where you can ride most coasters. People under 48" are charged less because they can't ride as many of the rides.

Curious if this version of Great America (that doesn't appear to have been kept quite as true to the Marriott days as it's Gurnee sister) still have the walk through, plant covered tunnel/arbor in the area where Sky Whirl once operated? I know the Gurnee park removed theirs years ago, just curious about this park.

Also curious if the Eagle's Flight/Delta Flyers are original? That is, are the towers, cabins and "flight paths" the same as they were when the park opened?

In looking at the park map on the website, it does appear that the "tunnel" I am asking about is still there! (near Barney Oldfield's Speedway, on the park map) Does anyone have any current pictures of it? Would also be curious to see if any remnants of the old scenic railway are still around? Would seem very strange not to have the railroad bridge to walk under on your way to the (Willard's) Whizzer etc!

As far as I've seen, these sections of track below are all that remain from the scenic railway, there also are the buildings where the train would be parked and worked on (right behind the Green Slime/Runaway Reptar/Woodstock Express roller coaster and of course, as has been said, Psycho Mouse's queue line uses the old county fair station

If anyone cares (I think this is cool), Google was at CGA over the weekend with their "Google Bike" capturing photos for a CGA "Path View." So early next year (as CGA claims) we can take a virtual walk around the park. I think this is awesome because 1: you can plan out your day a little better, and 2: for those RCT-ers who like to try to recreate their home park, they now have an easy reference especially if they don't have a photo of every building.

I went to CGA Pride Night last Friday and I had a blast!

Thank you CGA for hosting such an awesome event!

To my surprise It was pretty busy. Must of been the performers they had that drew in the crowds, because that's also the main reason I went.

Drop Tower line was on the switchbacks.

Demon was to the queue entrance.

Flight Deck was leaking out to the midway a bit.

Grizzly was on the bottom of the ramp.

If anyone cares (I think this is cool), Google was at CGA over the weekend with their "Google Bike" capturing photos for a CGA "Path View." So early next year (as CGA claims) we can take a virtual walk around the park. I think this is awesome because 1: you can plan out your day a little better, and 2: for those RCT-ers who like to try to recreate their home park, they now have an easy reference especially if they don't have a photo of every building.

I saw that google bike too when I was working on Tuesday at Flying Eagles, did not know they even had such a thing until now, but I thought it was neat to see as well. He did a few laps around the 50s gazebo and surrounding area-chances are I'm in a few of them as I was unloading guests when he came around. The bike and it's rider also spent a few minutes just sitting in front of Firefall- not sure what he was doing though.

Edited by jab88

I went to the park yesterday, and I should have stayed home.

The parking lot was a sea of school buses, and there was a never-ending stream of the worst type of GP marching into the park -- middle schoolers.

Examples of lines: Vortex's overflow was half full, Flight Deck was out to the pizza place, Demon was out the entrance, Rue le Dodge had a Carnevil-type line.

Lots of rides closed all day - Firefall (obviously), Tiki Twirl, and Drop Tower. Even Flight Deck didn't open until the afternoon.

Highlight of the day: After getting off of Spongebob, I saw that the exit doors to the other side of the theater were open. Taking a quick glance while walking by, I noticed that the screen and chairs are still intact, and it doesn't appear to be used for storage. Does anybody know when this side was last operating? It would be cool if they had a special showing in there for Haunt.

On to the pictures, which includes some surprise construction at the park (!). (I apologize in advance about the crappy quality of the pictures, I brought my ancient two-megapixel camera).

1.jpg.36ad13d426b025166b5cf8d0c506b792.jpg

It's going to be one of those days...

2.jpg.38d60b20b1a548aa914bb72018095e84.jpg

Always photogenic.

3.jpg.165147551d076e532e2cb245573c8bf3.jpg

Formerly one of the most congested areas of the park, now you get this disturbingly peaceful scene.

3-1.jpg.3fe05722d37191cc4c89b3ba997ebd6d.jpg

Loading onto the invisible Invertigo in the invisible station.

4.jpg.b229484b8709592849b37fdadc51fbe0.jpg

Construction! New for 2011: Home Run Derby! Oh wait, you mean it's not a ride?..

5.jpg.5c3778c3c9ae0bcee8855652743a6600.jpg

Orbit action shot.

6.jpg.493baeffe2c2be2bcea7c775852099d3.jpg

Centrifuge had the "shortest" line at about 10:40.

7.jpg.331fbd9bea6130fcbbd49dfaaca286e3.jpg

Will the right side ever be operating again?

8.jpg.193c098fcf0da0c782287cb816106d12.jpg

Looking more and more dismantled every time I visit the park.

9.jpg.44c2cd9efdf1216cac641d7a2fb185b2.jpg

11.jpg.c8e83015f2b01e15f2c4c27cd67dc998.jpg

The scene at the Drop Tower all day.

10.jpg.845c0c9ac67053046f3256572f26dd09.jpg

11-1.jpg.2449712cc6f4ea7c5c382ca48e4e090a.jpg

I wonder when the last time White Water Falls was running dual loading areas.

11-2.jpg.340764474223abb3c502c21468ce1763.jpg

Got my first Berserker ride of the season. Front seat!

12.jpg.9e2a6353765a73a8672de013ae1103d8.jpg

Finally my first coaster of the day, at 2:00.

13.jpg.4ebe0a308342809dfd6d70a7e61b2e3a.jpg

Demon loop peeking out of the trees. The orange train seemed to rattle more than usual.

I'll leave you with some depressing comparison pictures.

Before (from RCDB.com):

14.jpg.cde07f7c3452b2ef7ce86b0da7e8b69e.jpg

After:

15.jpg.da8378235b92c5e91cccf99369444b4b.jpg

Edited by Flagg O'Dim