TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Superman The Escape Launch G-Force

Hi all,

I'm just curious about the g force which superman the escape has on its launch, it's really 'low'.

If it launches at 100mph in 7 seconds that means the g-force felt on the launch is 0.646g's. Is it just me or does that sound really low to be true? If you look at other launches there usually in the +1 g's.

???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now that you mention it, S:TE's launch is really long and drawn out, and looks as if it takes FOREVER to reach top speed, which I don't believe is 100mph anymore... so that would mean its even lower?

Wow...

Although a pregnant woman may not be able to fit under the lap bar, the forces are so gentle I think there would be no risk to the baby. I think a ride like Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster should replace it. It would fit almost perfectly in that space. But it is Tim Burkhart's baby, and he intends to keep it. So, perhaps it would be possible to increase the rate of acceleration, if not the top speed. If it only goes 85-90 mph now, if it reached that speed after 3.5 seconds, let's say, it would be a much better ride than it is now. I've also pictured it running tjhe cars backwards so you're facing down for the drop, but a backwards launch may be uncomfortable.

We always experience 1 G of force downward; here we're talking about a horizontal acceleration. Normally you're experiencing no horizontal acceleration.

A possibility is that the acceleration is not constant; it might start out high and then drop off as the car continues down the track.

Hmmm,

I highly doubt it, if so there would be a massive spike of electricity usage at the start of the launch instead of a constant usage. And if it did launch quicker at the start the track wouldn't have to be that long to reach top speed.

If it did launch quicker at the start it would be rolling for some of the track instead of gaining speed. If you listen to a pov video you can hear the LSM's humming all the way down the track during the launch.

the acceleration is not constant.

even if the LSM's provide the same amount of force throughout the entire launch, at the start you have nearly no air resistance. Drag increases with the square of velocity and thus once you start getting up to higher and higher speeds the drag force increases very fast. There is no way that S:TE accelerates at the same rate from 0-10mph as it does from 90-100mph.

Well if you calculate the launch force from those numbers you will get the average force speed, and not the force you experience depending on time/speed. You have to measure the the forces unless you want to bit on some really complex equations.

However those average numbers are a good and quick way to compare different launches in intensity.

The Intamin Accelerators keep a pretty good constant acceleration force but not fully, here is a measurement of the launch of TTD so you can see how it "looks".

I also added the launch time.

As someone who's been on S:TE not too long ago I gota say that not only does this sound accurate, but I think ti's actually even lower than 0.6

I was expecting a forceful launch like on most coasters but instead it felt more like a passenger train leaving the station or a plane getting ready for takeoff.

It also made a nosie like a train going on a railroad track so that made it feel that way even more.

As one who rode Superman even before it was open to the public, I can say that it no longer packs the punch like it once did. With the Intamin rocket coasters and S&S's air launch ones that get you to speed in two seconds vs. seven, this LSM-launched ride really pales.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it, but it just isn't the big deal it once was.

Eric

Well if you calculate the launch force from those numbers you will get the average force speed, and not the force you experience depending on time/speed. You have to measure the the forces unless you want to bit on some really complex equations.

However those average numbers are a good and quick way to compare different launches in intensity.

The Intamin Accelerators keep a pretty good constant acceleration force but not fully, here is a measurement of the launch of TTD so you can see how it "looks".

I also added the launch time.

Where did you get these results, and why does it stay at .2 G's before the launch? Maybe because the track is slanted a bit?

Acceleration is quite a mysterious thing...

Where did you get these results, and why does it stay at .2 G's before the launch? Maybe because the track is slanted a bit?

Acceleration is quite a mysterious thing...

Well my brother measured the acceleration data on TTD while on the TPR Midwest trip.

It says .2 g's just because the track is a bit slanted but also since the sensor isn't mounted perfectly vertical, but we are working on to get the program to recalculate the data to calibrate it, and by doing that remove these kind of offsets.

I like the idea of turning the car around the other way, as was mentioned. It would be cool if they could run one side forward and the other facing backward...freefalling on that tower facing down sounds like a rush! Restraint modifications asside, would it even be possible to do that given the design of the car?

^ I don't even care anymore. Superman is still a fun ride that families can ride together, and that to me is more important than the thrill factor. The park has plenty of other rides that fill that quota.

That is very true i notice a lot more full families riding it, and also they do have plenty of other rides to do that job.

While I find the launch to be boring (After Top Thrill Xcelerator doesn't feel all that exciting either to be honest). It is as others said a great ride that families can enjoy together. However, I do recall someone saying that it is a very expensive ride to run. If that is the case, is it physically possible (and financially worth it) to "change" the launch system? From LSM's to say, LIM's?

It's a very "out there" suggestion I realize, but perhaps it would be cost effective in the long run.

LSM's have the magnets turned on by power that follows the car through the entire launch track, firing on and off between each magnet.

LIM's have the power turn on each magnet and they stay on through the entire launch.

LSM's require less power, but are much harder to run. LIM's require much more power, but are much more consistent when it comes to running.