TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Oakwood Discussion Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Eurofighter looks great. But, one thing I've always wondered about -- what is the point of a 97 degree drop? Is the sensation different than that of a 90 degree drop? I would think a 97 degree drop would be slightly hard on the wheel area.

Im not an expert, but I dont think its any harder on the wheels than ejector airtime (but that probably is a bit hard on the wheels). And from what I have heard, you can feel that the drop is beyond vertical on these coasters. But I havent ridden any so this is based on others opinions.

• 2 months later...

Right, since its been a while since the last update on this roller coaster ill fill you in.

- The rides name is Speed, which is not a good one in my opinion. To find the logo is on my websites page- www.oaktowers.co.uk/speed.htm (or .html if it dosen't work)

- The ride has been completed track wise, the ride stands at 120ft tall.

Head over to my rival sites mini site on the park 97 Degree's

97degrees.co.uk

At the weekend that has just been the ride has taken passengers and was filmed for its TV Adverts.

Also the ride was again in operation today serving the staff members. Apparently the ride was very good, i won't post the review as it is just a slight bit biased

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6669329.stm

A theme park is to be prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) following the death of a teenager three years ago.

Hayley Williams, 16, from Pontypool, died at Oakwood in Pembrokeshire in 2004 after falling from the Hydro Ride.

The HSE confirmed it intends prosecuting the park and that Ms Williams's family had been informed.

An Oakwood spokeswoman said they would continue to co-operate fully with the HSE investigation.

A statement from the HSE said it had met the company and told them they intended to prosecute them under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

It added: "Due to legal processes linked with the ongoing investigation into other aspects of this matter, HSE is unable to indicate when formal charges will be laid and the summons will be served, or when the matter will be brought to court."

The Oakwood spokeswoman said: "Since their investigation is still on-going, we cannot comment further on this matter at this time."

Sunday School teacher Ms Williams had been visiting the park with family and friends when she died after falling 100ft from the rollercoaster in April 2004.

At the inquest exactly a year ago, coroner Michael Howells directed the jury to return either an accidental death or narrative verdict, which simply outlined the facts and circumstances of Ms Williams's death.

After the jury returned a narrative verdict, the family expressed their disappointment that an unlawful killing verdict was not considered.

Oakwood said it was "deeply affected" by Ms Williams's death and added that the theme park was safe.

Speaking at the time, her father Alan Williams, said: "She was the most precious and loving of daughters, always smiling and she loved her family and friends dearly.

"Her loss to us has been unbearable and our lives and those of her friends have been shattered."

(Edited to add content of article to post. --Louise)

That's our English law for you

Everyone has to be 100% sure they want to ride a coaster or water ride, cos if you panic at the top of the 1st drop and undo the seatbelt or the ohr comes loose for some reason, there is not much anyone can do.

Before the train sets off on it's journey, I double check the ohr and seatbelt's / look for any wear, fry or rips. If there is any I tell an ops, get out and wait for another seat.

Very sad indeed for the family involved, but if the problem was not the park's fault, they should not get prosecuted.

Yeah a very sad story.

I remember hearing about this and forgot about it. Takes a good while for these cases to be heard it court.

It felt weird that someone had died on the ride that I had been on a year before this. And its lucky that Hydro is still operating, I remember it was shut for a long time after the incident.

I think the right verdict was reached.

That's our English law for you

Everyone has to be 100% sure they want to ride a coaster or water ride, cos if you panic at the top of the 1st drop and undo the seatbelt or the ohr comes loose for some reason, there is not much anyone can do.

Before the train sets off on it's journey, I double check the ohr and seatbelt's / look for any wear, fry or rips. If there is any I tell an ops, get out and wait for another seat.

Very sad indeed for the family involved, but if the problem was not the park's fault, they should not get prosecuted.

Me too... The incident with Samurai at Thorpe was scary enough... Not my fault, I admit, but it was pretty freaky...

Since then, I always give the belt a final tug before doing anything like that

• 9 months later...

The owner of a theme park was summoned to court today following an incident nearly four years ago in which a teenage girl was killed.

Sunday school teacher Hayley Williams was ejected from the top of the spectacular Hydro ride at Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire, West Wales, as it began an almost vertical descent into a plunge pool.

The 16-year-old, from Pontypool, South Wales, died of internal injuries following the incident on April 15, 2004.

Martin Rothwell, 10, suffered minor injuries in the incident.

At an inquest in May 2006, Pembrokeshire Coroner Michael Howells ruled out unlawful killing as a possible verdict.

Hayley's mother, Beverley, stormed out of the proceedings when Mr Howells said he had concluded that the evidence over the course of the four-day inquest did not support a view that death had been as a result of gross negligence.

The Crown Prosecution Service ruled out the possibility of criminal charges in January 2006.

Following the conclusion of its own lengthy investigation, the Health and Safety Executive served a summons on Oakwood Leisure Ltd today for an alleged breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

A hearing has been set at Haverfordwest Magistrates' Court for April 10.

The company will answer a charge of failing to "conduct its undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as was reasonably practicable, that persons not in its employment, including Hayley Williams and Martin Rothwell, were not thereby exposed to risks to their health and safety contrary to Section 3 (1) of the said Act whereby it is guilty of an offence by virtue of Section 33 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974 and liable to a penalty as provided for by Section 33 (1) (A) of the said Act as amended."

A spokesman for Oakwood Leisure Ltd declined to comment.

Source: Press Association News

http://www.parkpreview.co.uk

[EDIT] Please do not use all caps in titles. Thanks! - Mod

Wow, four years is a long time for the family to be dealing with this. Granted I'm not familiar with the UK legal system, but this was a long long time coming.

Just for comparison purposes anyone remember how long it took for them to settle with the family from the Perilous Plunge incident?

As much as I sympathise with the family, that charge terrifies me. If they manage to get them under the health and safty at work act, thats going to open the floodgates to the same kind of legal culture in the UK as there is in the States. People will be able to sue companies for not protecting them from their own stupidity.