TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The future of Animatronics?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how this thing is that great. It's looks ugly, it almost slips on ice (I should be built to not slip on ice if you want to demonstrate that instead of almost falling over.), and it's just walking like a little robot, but it's bigger. As people have said, it looks so real but it simulates something so unrealistic which is a dragon costume at the Chinese parade, or two people in a horse costume (One is the front, and one is the back.)

Did Joey have anything to do with this?

(this is another example of my posting a joke that like four other people will get. Sort of like how I include the phrase "giant carnivorous bees" to amuse someone. Feel free to ignore my nonsense).

dt

I agree, the technical advances made in just this one robot are astounding. That being said it is still creepy and a little scary to think that this could be made to eventually be used against us in some way. How long before the government Borrows the plans for this design. Please take no offense I'm all for it if it is used for a good purpose but not for ultimate destruction.

That thing is just a little creepy. The computing power to handle the balance in real time is quite earth shattering !!

So this is whats on you-tube for all the world to see but what else is there in existance thats even more advanced that we're NOT supposed to see !!

It makes Asimo look like my little pony !!

Wow... I'm having a hard time deciding if I am scared to death or in complete awe by it. The one thing that comes to mind is a REALLY scary walk through haunted house/dark ride. Just imagine yourself walking through and THAT thing comes at you looking like who knows what *shudders*.

That's creepy in a way, awesome in another! It first reminded me of 2 people carrying a canoe over their heads.
Yes, except two people carrying a canoe would have a lot more trouble recovering if they slipped.

It does look like that, though.

This is too creepy for words.

I don't see how this thing is that great. It's looks ugly, it almost slips on ice (I should be built to not slip on ice if you want to demonstrate that instead of almost falling over.), and it's just walking like a little robot, but it's bigger. As people have said, it looks so real but it simulates something so unrealistic which is a dragon costume at the Chinese parade, or two people in a horse costume (One is the front, and one is the back.)

Dude,

This thing is amazing. If you don't think so, you don't understand what an achievement this thing is. A robot that can run and jump and has balance.

1.) If they wanted to make it look pretty, they could have easily put a shell on it . They could have made it look like a horse of course.

2.) The slipping on the ice was a demonstration of its balance. They could have easily put pads on the feet so it didn't slip. They wanted to show how it adapted.

This thing is cool.

^ It probably has some auto- stability program in, As in if if it leans to far to one side the legs would automatical raise and move to satbilitize it.

Oh is that all it is? Christ, sounds easy to me! Someone should've thought of that alot sooner!

Honestly, this thing is a technological marvel. I can't believe the way it can balance itself. Absolutely incredible. It does look really freakin weird, but with the right casing it can look much more natural.

If technology like this gets into the wrong hands though I don't even want to think about the kind of destruction it can cause. And yes I consider the US Army (or any branch thereof) to be the "wrong hands".

This is absolutely amazing. For those of you who fear that the technology will get into the hands of the military... It already is. DARPA is part of the US defense department (http://www.darpa.mil/). I think it could be a wonderful thing to help unman the front lines and significantly reduce casualties. Imagine how it could help with bomb disposal and search and rescue operations. It will also have civilian applications we can't even imagine yet. I'm sure the people in DARPA testing the first Wide Area Network in the 60s had no idea it would lead to this little thing we call the internet. It's new and different and that makes it scary.