TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Spring Break! SFOG and Atlanta

So my girlfriend and I went to Atlanta for spring break since its warmer than St. Louis and it was cheaper than all the stuff our friends were doing. If no one has been to Atlanta, I'd recommend going. Its a really great city and SFOG is probably one the best Six Flags I've been to.

Sun Suites Smyrna, our home for the five nights. They had kitchenettes so you could do your own cooking.

So after being woken up at 3am by a fire alarm and getting lost in the outskirts of Atlanta, we get to SFOG!

I'm glad we didn't get there too late, look at the line to get tickets!

We bought season passes since we forgot to buy early and will probably go to SFStl before the end of the semester. They really are emphasizing customer service. Everyone really welcomed you to the park and wished you a nice day when you left.

We went straight to Goliath in case people ever decided to come to the park (they didn't).

Walk on!

Customer service and theming? Am I really at Six Flags?

Next up was Mindbender

I approve

We got e-stopped on Batman between the station and the lift since they were running all the ride ops through their paces

I actually whited out from about here until halfway through the zero-g-roll

There was a good pop of surprise airtime on Canyon Blaster's first drop in the back. Good kiddie ride!

Again with the theming, there was a fair amount of attention to detail too!

The line even had theming!

Dan friendly water ride

Are we in Silver Dollar City?

Michelle: Ultimate Flight

Best, and possibly only thrilling part of the ride

Yawn

GASM wasn't nearly as good as it looks

This look like a pole dancing ninja tot anyone else?

What was Vekoma thinking? It was actually surprisingly cmooth.

This lift hill is powered by small rodents located under the station.

There's shows and theming? At least the food prices were still high.

This is by far the scariest drop ride I've been on.

This is a good candidate for my favorite ride in the park. Or at least it was in the morning.

These people have just been thrown into their lapbars.

Michelle really likes Georgia Cyclone.

The characters were even out despite the other hundred people park. The sexual tension between the two was palpable.

It seems as if they've taken cues from Cedar Point's theming department.

Mindbender, through the trees!

So someone forgot to close some restraints in the back row, so they had to e-stop Batman and close the restraints. The employees did a great job at comforting everyone and letting them know what was going on.

These bathrooms had the loudest speakers ever.

Greatest ride in the park.

Isn't there some form of rule against line jumping?

We don't want anyone getting hypothermia, so you can't ride.

Psyclone, I mean Georgia Cyclone wasn't so good second time around. My internal organs hurt.

Airtime!

Helix of Death, which actually wasn't too forceful.

Whip it, whip it good.

So after a day of walk ons, it was time to say goodbye.

Bye SFOG!

More on the way from the Georgia Aquarium, The World of Coca Cola, Red Bull Illume, Zoo Atlanta & MLK.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2: Georgia Aquarium and World of Coke

I highly recommend going to the aquarium if at all possible. Definitely one of the better aquariums in the states.

For breakfast we went to the Landmark Diner, which is absolutely amazing as far as quantity to price ratio. This is a 5.99 order of pancakes:

My artery clogging breakfast sandwich:

I'm awesome and I look like a boat, want to fight about it?

After buying our city pass, we went to the entrance.

The atrium makes the aquarium feel huge.

We beelined straight for the Ocean Voyager exhibit to see the whale sharks.

The firs real look at the aquarium is through the tube, complete with non moving walkway.

They have a lot of other fish keeping the whale sharks company in their football field sized aquarium, like this hammerhead.

One of their four whale sharks swam over shortly after getting in the tube.

Not something you see every day.

The main viewing area is huge.

We had the luck of being around for whale shark feeding time, where they drag buckets in front of them from boats.

All four of the whale sharks being fed, with the larger females kind of hiding in the back.

On the way to the cold water exhibits. Makes me wonder if they really have issues with this.

For those who live in CA, the orange fish is your state fish who loves nibbling at your ankles if you go snorkeling.

Sea anenemenomes.

Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful.

They have a few beluga whales they rescued from a Mexican theme park.

I'm in the penguin exhibit!

They really do a nice job at making the exhibits look nice.

Jellies.

This reef exhibit was teeming with fish and had waves periodically too.

Nemo! Its pretty bad when your girlfriend and a 5 year old say the same thing when they see an exhibit.

These river otters were fighting over something for about 15 minutes non-stop.

Apparently Georgia has sea turtles, who knew?

The Georgia exhibit has a lot of theming, a play area and a shrimp petting tank, for those millions who have always wanted to pet shrimp.

So apparently the only way to get down from the second level is by whale slide, Awesome!

I never noticed that the inside also had a light show until I though I was in a Beatles song.

We can take him home? Pleaaasssee.

Next up is World of Coke.

For those who have seen the Vegas version of this, these should look familiar.

The tour starts in a room of Coke memorabilia and jingles from ads. One of them should be an announcement about the pain inducing gas you are about to experience from the taste station.

Originally a remedy for headache and exhaustion.

Everythings in 3-D!

If this isn't ambrosia, I don't know what is.

Its worth the money to see people's reactions to Beverly.

I remember having it in Vegas, but it seems worse than I remember.

Teh Olympicz wus hurrrr.

Next up: CNN studios and Zoo Atlanta!

These pictures are all from a week ago since I forgot my camera cord to upload the pictures throughout the week. In other words these are all pre-tornadoes as well. Luckily we left on Thursday since it was a road trip and a not so functional car wouldn't have worked out well. My sympathy goes out to all those affected by the storms, which from the news looks likes a lot of people.

Day Three!

While we were in Olympic park the day before we had noticed all these strange box mirror things. Turns out it was an exhibit from Red Bull called Illume, where they had a collection of extreme sports photographs that they illuminated at night. We decided to check it out, and with our hotel being in the outskirts, we loaded the day up with stuff to keep us busy until the night so we didn't have to go driving everywhere with the "lovely" Atlanta traffic.

First stop, CNN!

Apparently this all used to be an amusement park themed to H.R. Puffenstuff in the seventies complete with a coaster, but the park was only open for two months. Now its home to CNN and the world's longest freestanding escalator. Not quite as cool as the escalator ride though.

Clinton News Network! Its actually a pretty cool tour, but no pictures are allowed since the news would just look silly with flashes going off in the background.

Looks like they made one too many roof signs, and decided to leave it down by the street.

Since we paid a whole $4 for all day parking, we walked to Five Points. This apparently is the point.

This place needs some TLC. Or life. Either would be great. Cool in theory though.

You will not escape the wrath of Coke.

We went to a Diner called Ria's Bluebird for lunch, since my girlfriend is a vegetarian. I know, a diner in the south thats veggie friendly? This is country fried tempeh (soy stuff).

I had a turkey melt with coconut chicken soup. I'd highly recommend the place if you're in the neighborhood.

The lemurs were having a cuddle party when we got to the zoo.

Meerkats!

Apparently they weren't talking to each other.

I've never seen so many baby animals in my life. One of the gorilla babies was doing headstands (on the other side of mom conveniently enough).

Feed me, I'm tall.

Baby Orangutan moons you.

Num nums.

The baby panda woke up just as we were going by.

The kangaroos were pretty chill.

An albino peafowl. Yes, peafowl. Apparently you can't say the normal name in Georgia, its too risque.

So since we had time to kill, we decided to check out Atlantic Station, another new urbanism project in a seemingly nationwide trend.

Best part is they have IKEA! Nothing kills time like checking out the cheap Swedish furniture.

It is a nice looking area, but oddly sterile too.

Michelle is tired of seeing all the same colors on all the buildings.

This is the most unnecessarily modern Target ever.

Really Target?

Its getting close to dusk, so we need to find food we can afford (read no where near Atlantic Station).

Yay, more artery clogging goodness!

Typical tourist photo # 38

The world's largest drive in. Apparently the atmosphere is supposed to be kind of stressful when ordering (you really need to be ready to order and quick when you go up), but I think Michelle hyped it up a little much.

Red Bull Illume. I have a feeling it might not be around anymore since the tornadoes went through. If its still there and downtown is safe, or if it comes to your city, I'd recommend it. Best of all, its free!

I have no idea what camera settings to change to get the pictures and the skyline to turn out, but this was as close as I got.

World of Coke at night. I think I liked the Vegas version better, if for no other reason than they had a jumping coke fountain.

Still awesome at night.

So since we were downtown, we decided to check out the nightlife. Apparently everything downtown is a restaurant/lounge. We got a mixed creme brulee thing with vanilla, chocolate, and rasberry.

The inside was done pretty well.

So since it was Tuesday night, it wasn't busy, but it was still fun.

Day Four coming up soon!