TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nick Universe Grand Opening PTR

Longest line we waited in was about 1:15 otherwise 45 min to hour was the norm. Time went quick with the group..

Ghostblasters is the sally dark ride shooting game and its currently still there.

Jerry

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for taking a pic of the "human airgates" on Avatar. I had heard about it and it sounded stupid. There were gates on the ends of the platform at one time, but the GM (who is about 6'7") could physically kick the gates as the ride was operating...so they took them out until they can think of something better. Nice TR though...I'm glad you liked the new coasters

9th pic from top: What the heck is Barry Bonds doing at MoA(on cellphone)? Didn't someone tell him he was still in the US and therefore the roids are not legal up there.

Maybe he was tryin' out for the Twins...they need some help.

Nice TR btw. Thanks for sharing.

Hey hey! The Twins have CARLOS GOMEZ now! They don't need any more help!!!

My buddy just called from Minnesota to tell me he got on Spongebob today, and he said it's badass.

He just happened to be going out there for his grandpa's funeral and I told him that they just opened NU a week ago. He said the highlight is the zero g roll, and that overall it's a really fun compact ride.

I'll probably never get on it.

9th pic from top: What the heck is Barry Bonds doing at MoA(on cellphone)? Didn't someone tell him he was still in the US and therefore the roids are not legal up there.

Maybe he was tryin' out for the Twins...they need some help.

Nice TR btw. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, is that really him? I can't tell.

A brief TR from tonight...

It's been almost a year since I've been out to the Mall of America, so I almost didn't recognize the place with the new theming. Met up with Jerry and timberskara, got a POP wristband, and promptly set out to get some serious ride time in.

Kara was spot on in the first post of this thread: Spongebob is blah the first time you ride it. But it grows on you, and by the third time I rode it, it was an absolute ball.

Next was Avatar. For balance purposes, I was hoping that Jerry and I would end up opposite each other on the wheel, but this wasn't to be. It didn't matter, as we got some good spin action.

Kara insisted on trying the Splat-o-Matic (or whatever it's called, I'm not exactly well-versed on the phraseology of Nicklelodeon), and since I'm not that much taller than her, the restraints shouldn't be a problem. Due to my tall upper body, I had quite a bit of play in the shoulder harness. And when that thing started bouncing up and down, it had more kick than it's much larger counterpart in Shakopee. I'm not kidding.

Next was the Fairly Odd Coaster. As it had been almost a year since I'd ridden it last, I was a bit out of practice at how to get it to spin. Even with Jerry and I on one side, and Kara on the other, we still couldn't get it to keep spinning into the station.

Jimmy Neutron's Acme Brand Atom Crusher was still it's old self. Kara and I in one car, and Jerry balancing us out in the other.

Token ride on Orange Streak to say hi to Cameron on the deck, then it was time for a bunch of rides on Spongebob, I think the final count was 6 or 7 during this semi-power ride session, semi because it was about 10 minutes to wait in the short line, ride, and go around again. Kara left a little after 8, and Jerry and I left around 8:30.

One unintended consequence of the lift hill placement was being able to see the drop in the skylight reflection. For the un-seasoned coaster rider, a bit unsettling. Overall it was a good time re-acclimating myself with a little piece of Minnesota.

Nice to meet you, timberskara. Hope to see you again soon somewhere.

Paul "The time difference is a pain in the butt right now" Miller

Great TR!

I've also noticed that the Eurofighters can be very hit or miss and a lot of it depends on the individual cars themselves. Hopefully the mall will keep up maintenance on them or there will be a lot of rough not fun rides!

Last night I noticed that one car is very smooth, another is on the rough side and one is between the two.

Unfortunately I can not ride Splat, nor do I expect to anytime soon with the seat belts.

The Human airgates are still present, but not as much in your face as on Saturday. Each OTSR has prox switches, however the seat belt was less forgiving than the switch in the seat I rode in, causing me to have to staple myself down.

Jerry

It was great to spend some more time at the park last night when lines were minimal. Always fun to hang out with fellow TPR'ers, too!

"Welcome back riders, ORANGE you glad you rode the Pepsi Orange Streak?"

By the way, I did find it strange that NU Stuff scanned my annual pass and handed me the wristband. I had to ask for a sticky to get it on my wrist. Technically I could've gotten the wristband and given it to someone else...yes, I wouldn't be able to ride, but...you know.

Kudos to the SB crew-- they were dispatching one right after another all night long and they also have a great new system for loose articles...YAY crew!