TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Senior Project: Model Roller Coaster

I'm designing a working model roller coaster for my senior project, and I just wanted to post some pictures of what i have so far so you guys can tell me what you think! Also, please help me think of a name.

100_9921.JPG.a10a23f0fa2ffdcb55fccf07902d51e8.JPG

This is where I am so far! Now, I have to make the track (which I'm working on), the train, and the aesthetic stuff.

100_9915.JPG.da60e607af6f3d67a93c6cc065c59867.JPG

finished supports!

100_9914.JPG.700272a1bec87ebff597ec416f7180cc.JPG

almost halfway finished with painting the supports!

100_9913.thumb.JPG.b2267b26663793b6e0c26d89f5f1d159.JPG

painting the supports (I'll have the base covered in fake grass)

100_9833.JPG.dfbac111d148e39973d6a313ebcb2865.JPG

Then, I made a base and drilled holes where supports went. The supports went through blocks glued to the base for extra sturdiness.

100_9827.JPG.99e9b27a6fedca01161f07fcaad4b752.JPG

I cut all of my sections of PVC after scaling down a roller coaster I designed in NL and sorted them/put them together. It's basically got a station, lift, drop, loop, and a turn back into the station.

cart.jpg.1391e66f363852667191cdcb0a87b81a.jpg

pieces of pvc and wood and other fun stuff.

2128239415_jacobandcart.jpg.487cb921009e7fa4cfb1f413ffe377a7.jpg

Me at Lowes with a shopping cart full of stuff!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the lift hill I'll probably buy a motor and have a small chain connected to it and then have a ghetto rigged chain dog under the train.

As for the brakes...I did have some ideas for them at first, but now I think I'll just let it run like a K'nex or coaster dynamix model.

::edit::

I just painted the cross ties because I got bored. (I have two types of cross ties, the one you see won't be connected to the supports, but I made another kind which is basically like these but with a square piece of wood in the middle so it will be able to connect to the supports. I have to finish making them then I'll paint them and post pictures of them too.)

100_9922.thumb.JPG.e8f78fb40f6b6008d74093505916ded1.JPG

Do you guys like that color?

Ok, Everything looks great!

As for breaks, Just have skids, As in have them but dont make it stop all the way. And the color is fine, but this isnt NL where you can just tell someone to clikc and change the color, you have to go buy new paint.

I'm one of the few people that doesn't slam on Axis all the time, but I have to admit this is better for several reasons. one, it's realistic. two, you're using the poly tubes for track instead of wood. three, you're spraypainting it all instead of stalling by handpainting sloooooooooooowly. also, the trains can just be blocks of wood on wheels, for all we care! you're just making what I'd call a normal model, with no hype or gimmicky details or anything.

^Not only that, but I have a VERY limited amount of time, and the main reason that I'm making it very simple is that, I have no idea how it will run when I put it all together. So, I'm just using the safest track with the most common elements and praying that it will all work.

I have (in my opinion) a really good design for the wheel assembly. I'll have to custom make my wheels (I got a half inch rod of steel, and I'm going to cut it into little fourth inch sections then drill a hole in the center that's 1/16th of an inch). All of it will be fitted onto the track by a piece of aluminum in the shape of a C...but square...It will be tight enough to hug the track, but it will be loose enough to where if I have a few bumps here or there it will keep going.

And yes, the trains will basically be boxes on wheels...but with a pointy nose...and they will be day glow yellow.

Wow, this is looking good.. Usually people will try something and end up just throwing it all away and going for something easier, but your really sticking it out. I can't wait to see how it turns out. The yellow cars will really contrast to the blue track, not so sure about the black supports though.. just have to see how it turns out

I'm one of the few people that doesn't slam on Axis all the time, but I have to admit this is better for several reasons. one, it's realistic. two, you're using the poly tubes for track instead of wood. three, you're spraypainting it all instead of stalling by handpainting sloooooooooooowly. also, the trains can just be blocks of wood on wheels, for all we care! you're just making what I'd call a normal model, with no hype or gimmicky details or anything.

Don't forget the fact that he is ACTUALLY building it! Instead of talking about what he is going to do, he went out and really did it. Kudos.

You have made more progress in a short period of time than many people do in years of promises and false hope.

**UPDATE**

I've started work on the track, and it's going pretty well!

100_9931.JPG.c388ad0e7178e5cb694912e4403f4382.JPG

And here's the entire thing so far!

100_9930.JPG.e15d010324784fc682e8cb09c56ce6e2.JPG

This picture sort of explains how the track connects to the support. The little blue piece is super glued to a rod and the rod is run into the PVC pipe and then a screw is run through the PVC pipe and the rod.

100_9928.JPG.5ae65d3212f1bf726914df20014decdb.JPG

Looking down about half of the first drop.

100_9925.JPG.f0b5cbe5b41112b692a140567bf8eb70.JPG

What will someday be the lift hill and the station...I have to paint them first.

100_9924.JPG.952fd5ac5f5d826bdda59f638d699004.JPG

For Yankee Cannonball and anybody who was wondering, this is what the rails are made of.