TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The official Formula 1 thread

TheStig

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since the 2009 season is rolling around, and with the new regulations set in place and the cars starting to roll out, I guess it's time this thread needs to be revived!

What do you all think so far? Personally I think all the cars look GREAT so far this year EXCEPT for the Renault R29. Holy CRAP what an ugly POS! I mean it's just hideous! The F60 looks great, as does the MP4-24. It'll be interesting to see what Force India rolls out with, and Albert Park is going to be an awesome race. Lot's of unknowns this season, lets hope it's more exciting!!

Personally I think all the cars look GREAT so far this year EXCEPT for the Renault R29. Holy CRAP what an ugly POS!

Agree - what a weird looking car, but at least it doesn't look as boring as the homologous/generic Ferrari/McLaren/Willams/Toyota. I do like the Mclaren livery though, the silver/red scheme looks classy.

Agree - what a weird looking car, but at least it doesn't look as boring as the homologous/generic Ferrari/McLaren/Willams/Toyota. I do like the Mclaren livery though, the silver/red scheme looks classy.

imo, the STR3-04 of scuderia toro rosso is the car that has the most agressive look.

• 1 month later...
Associated Press

PARIS -- Formula One's next championship will be decided by the number of race wins and not accumulated points.

Governing body FIA decided Tuesday that the current points system will remain in effect to determine the driver's title in the case of a tie, with points also determining the order of the drivers who finish the season behind the overall champion.

Under the new system, Ferrari's Felipe Massa would have won the 2008 championship instead of Lewis Hamilton of McLaren. The Brazilian driver won six grand prix races to Hamilton's five.

The 10 F1 teams had been looking to change the points to a 12-9-7 scoring system for first through third place, from its current 10-9-8 allocation. F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone had initially preferred a medals tally, but FIA approved Ecclestone's revised proposal, which will not affect the constructors' championship.

FIA's World Motor Sports Council also approved further regulation changes to decrease costs in the face of the worldwide economic crisis.

"All teams will have the option to compete with cars built and operated within a stringent cost cap," the council said.

A proposed cap of $42 million would cover expenditures of "any kind" and give such cars greater technical freedom. That would entail "a more aerodynamically efficient upper body, movable wings and an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze."

Car weights will be published following Saturday's qualifying session and would rename tire grades for better clarity to spectators. Drivers must also be available for further autograph sessions and better media availability.

F1 teams will also be limited to eight one-day aerodynamic tests during the course of the season instead of a total ban on in-season testing, and allowed three one-day "young driver" tests featuring pilots who have not raced more than two GPs in the preceding 24 months.

The council, meeting before the start of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 29, also rubber-stamped Brawn GP's purchase of Honda while waiving the new entry fee that usually accompanies a new team on the starting grid.

^I actually don't know if I like that system or not yet, it's too early to tell for me. I like the point system because it gives the title to the most consistent, but the medal system give the title to the most deserving in terms of wins. I don't know yet, this season is going to be MUCH different then in years past.

On that note GO BRAWN GP!!!! I really hope they do well this year, they are one of my top three teams now (Ferrari, Red Bull, and Brawn). Such an awesome turn of events, I want to sponsor them for $20 haha.

• 2 months later...

I finally got to watch the entire Monaco race for the first time in God knows how long. While it's been a disappointing year thus far for Ferrari, a beautiful day for racing, and a podium finish for Kimi was great to see. Watching the MGP again reminded me why it's still my favorite race in the world.

• 6 months later...

^ I wouldn't bet against him, though. It's great to see this all carried out with a true mutual respect between both parties. Even so, it'll be difficult to watch him drive in anything but Ferrari Red.

I guess this is how the die hard Packers/ Favre fans feel about the #4 in purple.

Taken from Schumacher's website:

That is why my thoughts initially go to Ferrari. I'm very pleased that the split-up goes off that harmoniously and that we are still on friendly terms with each other. I would really like to thank Luca di Montezemolo and the whole Ferrari team big time for the time we spent together and for giving me the opportunity to leave Ferrari in friendship. It's such deeds that make up a true friendship, as even though the contract has not yet been signed, we had promised each other to further cooperate by shaking hands. I will always carry a big part of Ferrari in my heart and I will never forget the sympathy and passion of the 'tifosi'. They supported my all over the world with their devotion - thank you very much for that!

I didn't take this decision lightly at all, especially because of that. Ferrari and I have been working together for 14 years and I've experienced a lot of great moments with the team during this time. Most of my life as a Formula 1 driver is 'red' and so there is strong solidarity and loyalty to these guys who have accompanied me and have always built great cars for me. This solidarity will remain, even though our teams will be competitors on the race track - because I'm certain that Ferrari will regain its former strength since the crew is really strong and committed.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe Schumi is back! I am slightly worried that he will be useless and ruin his reputation but... that can't happen can it?

Who do you think will give him the most competition? My money is on H'Alonso, Lewis and Massa.. or maybe Vettel with a longshot.

This is seriously the best off season in years and years and years. All the new teams entering the sport give it the flavor I, frankly, was missing when teams like Arrows and Minardi checked out. If you think I mean that I like crappy teams...yes, I do. C'mon, while there's been some wildly exciting moments over the last few years (generally when it rains), I think back to what the best memories are, and often its when the lousy teams hang up big results: Force India and STR at Monza, Sutil racing hard in the top 4 at Monaco before being wrecked by Kimi, Takuma Sato overtaking Alonso at Montreal...now with more questionable teams and more unknown drivers coming up from F3, who knows what will happen next year. Well, aside from Button getting owned badly by Hamilton and Vettel winning the title.

• 3 years later...

I think the tyres are going to be as important this year as they were last year. However, as it was only Michael Schumacher who complained publically last year, no one listened. Now that the British drivers are beginning to complain, people will take notice and jump on the bandwagon.

The sport is no longe rabout speed and driver skill. I still watch and enjoy it, but the differences are striking if you watch a clip from a race 10 or more years ago. It may be more interesting to the casual fan, but the truly greatest drivers are no longer in the sport exclusively. Many people buy their way in as well.

I hope this new electric Formula E takes off.

There have always been people that bought their way into the sport..

It's and expensive sport/showcase and somebody has to pay the bill.

this happens especially with the smaller teams..

for the tires being a big challenge..

it's the same every year so far.. teams have to figure out how the tires work and make them work best for their cars and drivers and setup.

and to be honest.. I prefer more stops than what we've seen at the end last year that teams only did one stop.

More things that can/could go wrong.

let's see how the season unfolds and at least one of the "old" guys is back/close to the top (again)

Tomorrow is going to be interesting. If it rain, it'll be a spectacle and even if it doesn't, no team has really gotten to terms with the tires yet. I don't think anybody will manage only 2 stops. Nice starting grid too, can't wait to see how Vettel's gonna keep those Ferraris behind him during the first lap.

Webber was doing great.. but then Vettel had to be.. ehm well..

Vettel will probably get away with it, but if Webber had done that it would have been a totally different story.

but yeah.. let's see how that will unfold.

Hamilton and Rosberg same.. but Rosberg listened...

and Ferrari and Alonso?? why on earth would you leave somebody on the track with a broken frontwing?? wtf??

I have no pity for Webber. If you go by the lap times, Vettel was clearly faster. Although it was extremely stupid of Vettel to try to overtake on the inside of turn 1 (and a bit of pitlane), he would have Webber sooner or later. My opinion, Red Bull should let their drivers race and Vettel should not go kamikaze like that.

As for the Mercedesses, we can't be sure if they really needed to fuel-save, but they were quite evenly matched and I don't think Rosberg could've pulled off a pass on Hamilton.

Alonso thought his wing was not as badly damaged and he hoped he could make it to the first pitstop. Team should've known better, it's mistakes like this that cost you the championship.