TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 403 - Park opening for a limited Holiday Event!

Hey everyone,

Looking to get the locals advice for some good eats both inside the park and outside around Charlotte. Would like to know at least one BBQ place too that has amazing food. I'll be visiting this park at the end of the month from CA for the first time and have about 3 days to spare. I already decided I am going to get Fastlane because I want to make sure I get the chance to do everything I want to do and will be there on a weekend, so it just makes sense to me to spend the extra money. If there are any other suggestions that might be worth mentioning, I'm all ears. Thanks!

On 3/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, jarmor said:

I love how they are actually emphasizing the theme aspect of the areas vs just throwing in rides.

You just offended all of the DC Comics characters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 9:06 AM, thrillseeker4552 said:

My dream is for the park to RMC Hurler (ideally not a carbon copy of Twisted Timbers), then add a sweet new GCI somewhere in the park. Oh, and scrap Vortex. One can dream.

My thoughts exactly, except for I'd rather see Nighthawk gone over Vortex. 

3 hours ago, Vonni said:

My thoughts exactly, except for I'd rather see Nighthawk gone over Vortex. 

I love Nighthawk. The sensation of laying on your back while going through a vertical loop is incredible 

On 4/16/2022 at 12:05 AM, rachelmadcow said:

I think they need to replace drop zone with a 300 ft version and put it in the new area obv. 

ok thanks

• Haha 1

Hey all,

I’m flying from Orlando to Charlotte with my partner to visit Carowinds on Sunday 5/22. Given that Nighthawk is still down, do you think Fastlane is still a good idea to ensure plenty of rerides? Any idea if the price is higher day of or at the park? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Skysthelimit said:

Hey all,

I’m flying from Orlando to Charlotte with my partner to visit Carowinds on Sunday 5/22. Given that Nighthawk is still down, do you think Fastlane is still a good idea to ensure plenty of rerides? Any idea if the price is higher day of or at the park? Thanks! 

I would say yes to the Fast Lane, but I also almost never am without it at a Cedar Fair park.  You will want multiple re-rides on Fury and Copperhead Strike, especially if this is your first visit to the park and/or you won't be back soon.  But it looks like you're only like an 8-9 hour drive; for me, that's a close enough road trip to do on a 3-day weekend.  I've done it several times out to CP and KI LOL.

Price will not change between online/at the park purchase (except you won't pay the service fees at the park), but the price may change between now and then.  It will likely only go up, not down, so if you buy it now you've locked in the best price.

Thanks! Yes, I should have specified we’ve been to the park before. The park has been dead on several occasions we have visited which is why I thought it would be worth asking the question. We’ll probably pre-purchase just to be safe 🙂

Join a Carowinds Facebook group or two and see how the next couple Sundays go.  Personally, I'd show up before the park opens, start riding and then decide while at the park.  

• 1 month later...

Haven't been to the park since Fury first opened. Will be visiting on Saturday July 2nd. Yes, the busy holiday weekend with fireworks etc. Luckily for me we have platinum all season fast lane.

- Anything special I need to know about FastLane? Should I go anywhere first due to a merge point, or just ride and reride whenever and wherever?

- According to queue times it looks like nighthawk is still closed. Any idea when/if it's going to reopen?

- What's the best food in the park? Don't know if I'll eat there or not since I scoped out some restaurants in Charlotte that look delicious but maybe we'll get a quick lunch or snack, depending.

- How is Hurler? Never been on it. Front vs back for the best ride? Is it going to kill me?

- Copperhead is also new to me, any seating advice? Looks very hangtimy and seats may not matter, but thought I'd ask. I'm excited for the JO-JO ;)

- Probably won't be a super long trip with FL and I don't know if I'll stay for Carnivale OR fireworks stuff... or do they put on a really good show and I should stick around and deal with people and traffic?

- Any other advice? I'll also be going with my Sister who has never been to the park so that will be fun too.

- Any other big boy seats on any rides? It looks like Afterburn has them based on my limited research.

Thanks!

I'll try to answer point by point

-Fast Lane does not exist for Kiddy Hawk (Vekoma hang-and-bang), Woodstock Express (Jr. woodie that should not be skipped), or Ricochet (basically the same wild mouse as is at Kings Dominion).  If you care about any of these, I'd head to one of those first.

-No idea about Nighthawk

-I recall the mac & cheese at Harmony Hall being decent, but I'm sure one of the foodies here will chime in with more recommendations.

-Hurler is rough.  If you're desperate for the credit, ride in the front.  If you're not a credit counter, I'd honestly just skip it.

-Copperhead Strike, I prefer the back seat.  You'll get plenty of hangtime no matter where you sit.

-Grand Carnivale, if it's the same parade/show as what they did at Kings Dominion, is entertaining enough but not worth deviating from your plans for.  No idea about the fireworks.

-Don't skip on the Enterprise, "Scream Weaver," or the Sol-Spin, "Electro Spin."  Both are very rare flats for entirely different reasons.  I recall their mine train being fun too.  The Boomerang is one of the better ones, with the new vest restraints.  Boo Blasters is the same at the one at Kings Dominion, if you've been there.  The water park isn't terrible but doesn't have anything that other CF waterparks don't, if I recall correctly.  It will be very hot, plan accordingly and hydrate appropriately.  Don't cross the state line with a beer or other alcoholic beverage in your hand or you'll be technically guilty of a federal crime (bootlegging), though nothing will happen to you except maybe security yelling at you.  There will be signs and lines painted on the ground.

-No idea about big boy seats.

Have fun!  It's a good park, mid-tier in the CF chain in my book.  Fury is really their only show-stopper (and to a lesser extent, Afterburn), though some people also swear by Intimidator.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info! I will be making a quick stop at Kings Dominion on the way home on July 4th as well. It will be a long day of driving so I won't be there too long and I've been there quite a few times. Carowinds I have as much time as I need so I may even ride some flats and stuff I normally wouldn't ride, especially having FL this time around, and going with someone new to the park. Looking forward to it! It was a last minute decision so I'm excited to have a park planned so soon.

Never done Apple Zapple so if it's like the one at Carowinds I'll do one or the other. I've only been on a Boo Blasters once in my lifetime surprisingly. I see it's on FL so I'll definitely ride it at Carowinds.

How does the Plants vs Zombies line get? I remember it being a huge room so I would figure the line probably wouldn't be outrageous, I just remember not enjoying it so much because it was so hard to figure out which target you were.

I didn't even realize they had a waterpark. I just feel like the crowds on a Saturday wouldn't warrant it since FL is no good there, though.

I went to Carowinds yesterday with my daughter and dad for Father's Day and it wasn't crowded at all. We were there for rope drop and left around three. I don't think I saw a line for any coaster over 10 minutes or so all day.

My 73YO dad hadn't ridden a coaster since 1990 and chose Fury to dip his toe back in the water. He loved it! 

fury325.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1