TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 403 - Park opening for a limited Holiday Event!

What kind of program do the Top Scans at other CF parks run on? I only know of the one at CW but haven't ever been there. I've heard that they can range from mild to holy-***-crazy-pants intensity.

The one at CW is the only park model operating. All the other modals are for fairs and carnivals. I've ridden the fair versions which of course like any other fair ride, out out control, the carnies just have no regard for g-forces and I love everything about it. lol I've heard the CW ride is slightly intense but not as intense as how the carnies run them.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t think you get what I’m saying at all.  As a fan, I’m really glad they opened Carowinds for like a month even though this event was really stupid because I got to ride two coasters and I w

So we went to Taste of Carowinds yesterday since we’re visiting the in-laws who live ten minutes away. Before going I was confused as to why this event was even a thing and after going I’m infini

I really need parks to get their act together by next season. We're clearly still going to be operating in a very covid positive world, but many parks seem to be doing a good job...just copy those!

Posted Images

What kind of program do the Top Scans at other CF parks run on? I only know of the one at CW but haven't ever been there. I've heard that they can range from mild to holy-***-crazy-pants intensity.

The one at CW is the only park model operating. All the other modals are for fairs and carnivals. I've ridden the fair versions which of course like any other fair ride, out out control, the carnies just have no regard for g-forces and I love everything about it. lol I've heard the CW ride is slightly intense but not as intense as how the carnies run them.

I can confirm the one I went on at the Georgia National Fair was absolutely insane intense. It was a life changing experience and we were able to stay on for an hour and a half of rides. Eventually we had to stop because it was just too much for our bodies to handle. Totally awesome.

Samurai at Lagoon says "hi", and it was the first Park Model in North America, even though they are on a Chassis. Climate and Motor Type effect Operation, and Lagoon's AC Motors on their Mondial Rides are a problem in the Climate it's in. The Gear Box failed in just 7 years and took it out for a Season from June on. Samurai is still a fun ride, but not as crazy as it used to be.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I woke up early and drove up from ATL this morning, and had a wonderful day at the park! Allow me to elaborate a little bit (forgive the length...) -

There were lots of kiddos and school groups as the day wore on, but the first two hours were great. Literally no one there. But despite the low crowds, they were stringent on letting me reride on empty seats on Fury for those first two hours (which I love to do when I'm by myself, and try to be discreet about), so I had to keep walking around (which is totally fine), and then I went over and sat on Afterburn, which was running great! That corkscrew though, is SO intense.

Around 11:30, after the crowds kicked in, I got on Fury again and then didn't get off for nearly 2 hours. The ride ops were wonderful, letting me re-ride, cracking jokes, checking in on how many laps I was at, actively helping me find empty seats, - and then (this blew me away) one of them actually gave me two flash pass tickets, one for any other ride so I could take a break and go ride something else, and one for Fury so that I wouldn't have to wait in line if I came back. HA! What a guy! Great crew.

Fury was terrific. Everything about it was great. From the honey comb motif to the pacing to the airtime to the intensity. The first ride I took didn't really blow me away, but the more I rode it, the more I loved it. I LOVE how complete it feels. It's long, it hauls, and from a composition standpoint, its layout is super satisfying. The first drop was AMAZING. It goes on forever, and you're pulled out of your seat over the top... and THEN it somehow changes its radius or something 2/3s of the way down and KICKS you even FURTHER out of your seat. Then you slam into seat again in the pull out. Man, the noises that came out of my mouth! Fantastic.

I have to say, I definitely preferred the back. The front was great and exciting (like in an ugly crying/screaming sort of way), but the airtime and intensity was way higher in the back for me. I loved the first half with all the low to the ground turns with pops of airtime - the train just flies through these! Then the turn around! Let me digress...

I have to admit, from watching videos and seeing pictures, I didn't understand the point of the sideways airtime at the top of the turnaround. I so badly wanted it it straighten out so you got a nice square twisting pop over the top before plunging into the tunnel. Even after the first time I rode it, I was like, "What's the point of sideways airtime??" But then as the day wore on, I loved it more and more, and by the end of the day I was like "OH YEEEAAAHHH SIDEWAYS AIRTIME" and screaming orgiastically and letting my whole body flap limply off the left side of the train as it crested the hill.

I really loved the layout. Layouts are a big deal to me. I'm a big fan of layouts that make sense in terms of pacing, terrain, etc, that are complete and don't let down in intensity, and are grand in scale (to me, Voyage, Goliath Walibi and Katun are my standards of layout perfection). Fury's layout was VERY comprehensive and complete, and had everything you might want in a layout. But if I had one critique however, it would be the banked airtime hill immediately after the tunnel. The pull out of that hill is so shallow and goes on forever, which is a really underwhelming way to go into the trim (which actually wasn't thaaat bad) - then the helix - which worked great compositionally but was definitely a weak spot experientially, especially following that super shallow pull out. The three airtime hills on the jaunt back to the station were the cherry on top. I loved it. I really did. It's definitely in my top 10 steel, and maybe but maybe not in my top 5. IMO, it's more enjoyable and complete than Skyrush, Maverick, I305, MF, even Superman/Bizarro. I rank it behind Goliath Walibi, Medusa Steel, Katun, Storm Runner (I just love Storm Runner), and maybe Shanghai's megalite? Hard to compare to something so tiny and compact.

I grabbed a quick ride or two on Vortex, Hurler, and the mine train early on. They were all fine (and Vortex was actually way more enjoyable than I had given it credit for from my last visit). Towards the end of the day, I grabbed a ride on Carolina Cyclone, which was just terrible. And i had a few rides on Intimidator, which was just as boring as everybody warned me after riding Fury all morning, despite having really nice moments of airtime. Unless you are in the back outside seats or the very front, the most exciting part of that ride is the Barbecue smell at the end. Also, it's one of the only rides ever to have made me slightly nauseous after a few rerides. Not really sure why.

Walked out the gate dead beat but extremely pleased. Great day.

Popped into the park today. I took Uber for the first time. That was awesome deal because my hotel was in Southpark and I only paid $12 to get there. The park was empty except 186 ACE members. Fury was a great ride. The highlight was the Craft beer stand in the Taste of Carolina section. Only 4 tokens(just under $6) for a beer which I thought was a good deal in a park where a funnel cake cost $10.

Random question, and this may not be the place for it. A friend and I are headed to Crosswinds today and was wondering if anyone had a season pass and was not going to use their buddy pass/passes for today May, 8th. Thanks.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article75276817.html

Thought i would post this article here

This is why you should listen to the ride operators. I dont feel sorry for the guest, but please for anyone visiting ANY theme park, please remember, if the state law or the ride operator says NO PHONES, or you'll have to wait till the end of the night to get it, please listen to them.

Anyone know what Carowinds' rain policy is? The long-term forecast is calling for a chance of showers on the days I'll be there. I know forecasts aren't reliable this far out, but just in case, will they keep the coasters open in the rain as long as there's no lightning?

It really depends on how hard it's raining. If its light, or just casual rain most rides should be running. Really heavy rain could bring some problems, though.

I just wanted to chime in...Fury is so good, and so much better than anything else in the park that it really makes all the other coasters giant letdowns. It is almost a flawless ride.

I made the mistake of jumping on Intimidator AFTER Fury, and I think I could have filed my taxes on that snoozefest.

Edited by DefeatistNation
Anyone know what Carowinds' rain policy is? The long-term forecast is calling for a chance of showers on the days I'll be there. I know forecasts aren't reliable this far out, but just in case, will they keep the coasters open in the rain as long as there's no lightning?

They pretty much don't care except on Ricochet. We rode fury in a god damn monsoon.

I just wanted to chime in...Fury is so good, and so much better than anything else in the park that it really makes all the other coasters giant letdowns. It is almost a flawless ride.

I made the mistake of jumping on Intimidator AFTER Fury, and I think I could have filed my taxes on that snoozefest.

This is a correct statement. I would be perfectly happy going to this park and riding Fury all day because it is just that good.

I'm at the point in my coaster career as well that I'm starting to revisit parks for new credits, and honestly, I'm perfectly okay with skipping mediocre credits that I already have. In which case any repeat visit to Carowinds will involve perhaps a cursory visit to Afterburn and Intimidator only as much as I need a break from Fury rerides. Similar to how a repeat visit to Kings Island will involve Diamondback, Banshee, the Beast, and probably that's it unless I just need a change of pace or other lines are super short.

That's a bummer to hear. I'm visiting Kings Island for the first time Friday and was hoping the other coasters besides those 3 would be worth the drive.

Going to a new amusement park is always worth it, and Kings Island actually has a number of enjoyable coasters other than those three! You'll have a really good time, I'm sure!

*Edited, because I really need to pay more attention when posting here, and not try to do three things at once while attempting to provide helpful information!

Edited by DILinator
That's a bummer to hear. I'm visiting Kings Island for the first time Friday and was hoping the other coasters besides those 3 would be worth the drive.

They are. The Bat is outstanding, Adventure Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster are excellent family rides and personally I love both Firehawk and Flight of Fear. Racer is a fun little ride too.

Invertigo and Vortex are the only bad rides in the bunch, Kings Island has a very solid coaster lineup. They also have Delerium and Drop Tower which are both great and a fun flume.

Personally I think the Bat is so good that it's right up there with Beast and Banshee.

During our trips these are really the only three coasters we ride, as we also usually only hit our favorites on repeat trips. However, all three of them are great and offer three different experiences. They are all also exceptional night rides. We love KI.

They are. The Bat is outstanding, Adventure Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster are excellent family rides and personally I love both Firehawk and Flight of Fear. Racer is a fun little ride too.

Invertigo and Vortex are the only bad rides in the bunch, Kings Island has a very solid coaster lineup. They also have Delerium and Drop Tower which are both great and a fun flume.

Personally I think the Bat is so good that it's right up there with Beast and Banshee.

I disagree with Adventure Express being "excellent". That coaster is crap. I also disagree with Invertigo being a "bad ride". I actually enjoy that ride, when it's running. Kings Island is worth the drive. I make it a point to go to this park every year and I live 6 hours away. Beast is amazing. Diamondback and Banshee are too. I would say The Bat is probably the best suspended coaster I've ridden...A lot better than Iron Dragon at CP. Vortex looks nice, but skip it. Not worth the pain. But the other coasters are worth a ride or two.

Just going to jump in here again and give Vortex some love. One of the best multi loopers I've been on honestly. Great ride. Everyone should ride it at least once to see how they feel about it.