TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Screamscape is reporting that you may want to get your last rides on thunder run before July. I can't understand why they would retrack the ride and then rip it down. Rumor is a water park expansion will take it's place. I hope this is not true.

Thunder run is a unique ride as 1/2 is in one state, and the other 1/2 is in another.

Based to the overhead view from Google Earth, it doesn't look like removing Thunder Road would create that much more space, but since the waterpark is landlocked as it is, I guess it might be the only way to go.

767840532_Screenshot2015-05-12at6_24_22PM.thumb.png.6d15baab8f41ac046b87d6cc3ed4e5ee.png

This is not going to happen. No worries.

Is that a fact or an opinion...

Screamscape is reporting that you may want to get your last rides on thunder run before July. I can't understand why they would retrack the ride and then rip it down. Rumor is a water park expansion will take it's place. I hope this is not true.

Thunder run is a unique ride as 1/2 is in one state, and the other 1/2 is in another.

The same reason why someone who buy new tires, alternator and transmission for a car then get rid of it...I think they have gotten their moneys worth out of the investment they have made. Remember, wooden coasters are constantly being retracked, worked on.

Weird to close down a coaster in the middle of the season.

Not so weird when you gotta get it outta the way to make sure your 2016 attraction(s) is ready on time .

Based to the overhead view from Google Earth, it doesn't look like removing Thunder Road would create that much more space, but since the waterpark is landlocked as it is, I guess it might be the only way to go.

Based on the turn around space, it can fit a slide tower or two in that area. Also, look where the station area is...its pretty much on some prime real estate to expand the county fair section of the park...where all the markers are currently being discovered. If you remove it and the abandoned FX theater...it opens up to LOTS of space.

All I am saying is that stranger things have happen. With the path cedar fair is taking to make Carowinds become a world class park, the removal of thunder road wouldn't surprise me at all. Several iconic staples of Carowinds have already been removed, The plantation house and the sternwheeler comes to mind, so what makes thunder road so safe?

I think they're both in South Carolina. I'm not a local or anything but Thunder Road is pretty craptacular. That being said, I think Hurler should be scrapped immediately. What's with GCIs aging so horribly?

Thunder Road is not going to be removed! Mike Fehnel has said that it is not being taken out and if you don't believe him then who can you believe from the park.

^Thunder Road is in North and South Carolina just not in the way that you would imagine just look on google maps and you will see what I am talking about.

^ I guess they both run into both states. I was saying they don't each exclusively stay in their own state.

I can definitely see Thunder Road getting the axe. It had by far the shortest queue of any ride at Carowinds. It was a walk-on on a Saturday when the rest of the park was slammed.

^ I guess they both run into both states. I was saying they don't each exclusively stay in their own state.

I can definitely see Thunder Road getting the axe. It had by far the shortest queue of any ride at Carowinds. It was a walk-on on a Saturday when the rest of the park was slammed.

You also have to remember that there are 4 trains running, so the thruput of the ride is greater than other some other coasters. I personally hope it stays. It was not the greatest coaster in the world, but it was fun and unique.

To expand the water park they only have to do what was done at Kings Dominion with Rebel Yell...yes...a path under Thunder Road...which there are at least 3 already for maintenance. Thunder Road isn't going anywhere just yet.

I think they're both in South Carolina. I'm not a local or anything but Thunder Road is pretty craptacular. That being said, I think Hurler should be scrapped immediately. What's with GCIs aging so horribly?

I don't believe Hurler is a GCI.

Correct. Its "International Coasters Inc."....who have only built the two Hurlers

Correct. Its "International Coasters Inc."....who have only built the two Hurlers

^ My bad. I guess I should check rcdb more often. I can see why they only built two.

Better answers above▲ and below▼▼ ... my answer was somewhere between confusing and incorrect so I am removing it.

Edited by ejot

Thunder Run was a Dinn/Summers coaster. The Hurlers were based off of the Thunder Run design.

Jeff

The big difference is that Thunder Run is enjoyable, unlike the Hurlers.

Thunder Run was a Dinn/Summers coaster. The Hurlers were based off of the Thunder Run design.

Jeff

The big difference is that Thunder Run is enjoyable, unlike the Hurlers.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The Hurler coasters were good in the 1990s. Great, knee-bruising airtime on the little hills and great laterals on the turns. However, about 2004 for KD and 2000 for Carowinds, they got really really rough, then neutered by Cedar Fair, and now the turnaround's been retracked and tghe first drop un-neutered so the sirtime should be back, right?