TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I believe a tire change on the MCBR would be in order, as well.

I know you're joking, but I think that would be awesome! Put the MCBR in a tunnel, come to a full stop for a few moments, have some animatronics and sound effects. Obviously, not a Cedar Fair thing--but how cool would that be??

The pacing would kill if it makes frequent complete stops.

And who said Cedar Fair doesnt theme coasters

That reminds me,if both coasters are identically themed then why does KD's have yellow instead of silver/gray supports? Seeing pics of KD's construction it looks like we'll be getting the same character cutouts on the gift shop/station walls though & I hope we get the same style entry plaza.

^It's a B&M hyper coaster. There's no need to be realistic. This isn't something the Harry Potter Island @ IoA, where the whole point is to transport you into the world of Harry Potter, so "realism" would be important.

Just painting the zero-car the colors of Dale Earnhardt's car and putting the 8 on top would have looked much better IMO.

The 8?

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. used to have #8, but hasn't since 2007.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Carowinds' Intimidator supposed to have the standard 4-across trains as opposed to the "V" trains?

^^^Forgive me for not really caring at all about knowing all the NASCAR numbers.

Regardless, the point still stands: those trains, and the actual cars for that matter, would look a lot better without so many sponsor stickers plastered on them.

Gotta switch your brain from 'theme park industry' mode to 'trademark usage permission' mode to understand why realism is important in this case. I highly doubt Cedar Fair gave two hoots about the stickers on the trains, or the theme in general. The people who cared about the look & how the theme was displayed to the public would be the top executives at Dale Earnhardt Inc. who own the rights to Dale's name, likeness, signature, and other trademarks, and Richard Childress Racing who owns the look of the familiar numeral 3. Realism is EXTREMELY important to both of them in any aspect of the legacy of Dale Earnhardt. If the look wasn't realistic, there's no possible way that they'd have signed the agreement for the use of the familiar trademarks. DEI & RCR would be the ones who'd insist on the realistic look, conceivably down to the contingency stickers on the cars that Dale used to drive.

To go back to the Babe Ruth coaster analogy, Cedar Fair wouldn't give two hoots about realism there either, but the Yankees would make darn sure that the Yankess logo/uniform/etc was precisely correct down to the millimeter.

None of that changes the fact it's ugly! That's ALL Elissa and I are trying to say. I get that there's reasons NASCAR owners have to plaster their cars in stickers to make money, and I also get that the intent is to be realistic, and that there might be reasons behind the scenes (such as the one you mentioned)....but at the end of the day it's still ugly!

Edited by Jew

I know this sounds silly but i like the floor in the main plaza. I think this is a really big hit for Carowinds. But really when did this whole intimidator thing get the american coaster theme??? Really i don' see why it got the theme, really they could have got a better theme! But it does do its justice.

Was there this much bickering when CF put in TTD and gave it all of that race theming it has?? Northern Ohio is not really associated with drag racing is it? But Charlotte is known as the Capital of NASCAR, great theme work I think, and maybe it only lasts a few years, most of these 'over themed" rides usually get changed after a few seasons anyhow.

Regardless, the point still stands: those trains, and the actual cars for that matter, would look a lot better without so many sponsor stickers plastered on them.

I get that there's reasons NASCAR owners have to plaster their cars in stickers to make money, and I also get that the intent is to be realistic, and that there might be reasons behind the scenes (such as the one you mentioned)....but at the end of the day it's still ugly!

Um, they are used in practically every (if not EVERY) motorsport, not just NASCAR.

Top Fuel Dragster:

Funny Car:

Monster Jam:

Motocross:

Rally Car:

Even Street racing uses them:

Cedar Fair finally adds some detailed theming to a ride (based on their standards) and they get criticized to hell and back for doing so. No wonder they are always hesitant to do so.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Cedar Fair finally adds some detailed theming to a ride and they get criticized to hell and back for doing so. No wonder they are always hesitant to do so.

No1 is saying it's unrealistic. It just looks cheap.

And... I really don't think Cedar Fair's lack of theming is due to them being too scared to offend enthusiasts ... really.

To me, this looks no where near the previous pictures of real racing vehicles. It looks as if they started, but then ran out of money and just kept it like that. Personally, I think the seats are the worst part. They just don't look right. Some of us just think it looks ugly. No amount of pictures or arguments will change that. As for theming, props for trying, but I don't think it looks good. Just my opinion.

Cedar Fair finally adds some detailed theming to a ride and they get criticized to hell and back for doing so. No wonder they are always hesitant to do so.

Detailed? Really?

By Cedar Fair standards, yes detailed.

I think the seats are the worst part. They just don't look right.

To me, this looks no where near the previous pictures of real racing vehicles.

A B&M seat is a B&M seat. They are generally the same on all B&M hypers, regardless of theme.

A sticker slapped on is a sticker slapped on...there isn't much variety involved with that, it's fairly self-explanatory.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

I'm also on the "trains look ugly" side of the fence. I get the idea behind the theming, but the shape of the B&M train isn't really conducive to pulling off the sticker effect. Unlike an actual racing car where large sponsor stickers cover most of its body, the coaster train lacks the sides necessary to try the same look. The result is that the stickers are all unrealistically tiny so they may all be crammed onto the zero car. It just looks messy and kind of reminds me of a kindergarten art collage. At best, the sticker theme is an "E for effort" endeavor; this is one of those situations where simple would have worked much better.

Whatever, though. For me, it's the quality of the ride that counts most in the end.

~Megan

The stickers making the train look "ugly" is an opinion & those who hold it are entitled to it. I can totally see where you all are coming from there. But, saying they're "ugly" is different than saying they're "cheap-looking" or "unnecessarily realistic." That's all I'm saying.

At the end of the day, it's a coaster train that's trying, somehow, to resemble a race car. It's not going to be perfect.

At the end of the day, it's a coaster train that's trying, somehow, to resemble a race car. It's not going to be perfect.

Right. And I think most of the people involved in this pointless discuss are saying thier opinion is the stickers look ugly and cheap...on EVERYTHING they are put on. Not just the coaster specifically.

So yes, they did a good job of theming it to the NASCAR race car.

Edited by robbalvey

^^^Forgive me for not really caring at all about knowing all the NASCAR numbers.

It's as iconic as Michael Jordan's #23, Jackie Robinson's #42, etc. It'd be like me saying the widely beloved Matt Leinart wore #73 in college.

So on my way down to Savannah this morning I rode by Carowinds at around 11:15 in the morning. Got to see this baby running but my timing was AWFUL. Literally right as the train got to the top of the lift we went into the little dip that 77 does under the overpass that says "Carowinds BLVD" and by the time I could see the ride again the train was finishing its run. Oh well. This ride is sexy in person though. That second turn looks amazing. Hopefully at some point while I'm down here I will be able to make a trip up there and get a bunch of new credits including this great looking ride.