TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^^I agree about severely disliking Harry Potter and NASCAR, but at least CF put the effort forth with making the trains look like actual racing cars. And it fits the demographic of the area, as well. While NASCAR is big in Virginia and there is a track in Richmond, I still don't get why they chose the same theme for I305. Takes away some of its identity if you ask me.

Yeah, I can't believe how many people I've come across that are excited to ride the "Earnhardt" coasters this year. These are people that normally wouldn't even go to Carowinds or Kings Dominion. I think that theme was a great deci$ion for Cedar Fair.

Yeah, can you imagine how insane Carowinds is going to be Memorial Day weekend with the Hall of Fame opening and NASCAR Race Week all in the same timeframe?

I've lived here all my life and I've only been to 2 races, so that tells you how much I like the "sport". But it's a very smart move for Cedar Fair with the popularity of NASCAR these days.

I've lived here all my life and I've only been to 2 races, so that tells you how much I like the "sport".

I grew up in San Francisco, but have only had sex with two men. That should tell you how straight I am.

Seriously though, great photos from Pufferfish. Can't stand NASCAR, but I'd rather have a coaster slightly-themed to that than not slightly-themed at all.

I actually like the stickers on the sides of the train. Great pics too!

I'm actually looking to go to my first NASCAR race strictly for the cultural aspect of being in the infield with a bunch of rednecks and getting hammered.

I'll be at I305's Media Day on Thursday and I'm sure I'll be posting a report later that night.

I should probably just stay out of this and the Harry Potter thread, but it occured to me that I really got personally crapped on this year! Two 'franchises' that I totally hate got made into rides this year. Nascar and Harry Potter...LAME!!!

If you're going to theme your giant B&M to racing, make it look sleek and awesome like Silver Star, not cheap and terrible like Nascar...oh wait. Yeah. Sad.

I better get a Yo Gabba Gabba and Nsync ride next year!

With all due respect I think it's a little unfair to say that NASCAR is cheap and terrible just because you're not a fan. It's right up there with the NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL as far as popularity goes, and Dale Earnhardt is one of the most well liked and respected people in ANY sport (in America at least). Couple that with the fact that Carowinds is in the heart of "racing country" and is located not far from a major race track, you can't blame them for taking the direction that they did, and theming the ride after a multi-billion dollar sport is hardly cheap and terrible, especially when they appear to have done a great job.

^Just look at pictures though...beautiful silver and black Mercedes themed B&M versus bright colored Nascar themed B&M with stickers on it. I do believe that it looks cheap. Terrible is probably subjective, but cheap...I'll stand by that!

I totally agree that a Nascar theme makes a lot more sense in that part of the country than Mercedes, doesn't mean I have to like it or think it looks good.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I am not judging the actual RIDE, just the theming.

Edited by SharkTums

Why do contingency stickers = cheap? I don't see the connection.

On real Nascar race cars, those contingency stickers match up to programs run by the companies whose logos are on those stickers. These programs earn the race teams money that helps them keep racing. I know people don't really like seeing sponsors' logos in major sports, but in Nascar, where there is no franchising, and nothing down to the tires & gasoline is provided, sponsorship dollars is vital to the continued existence of the teams, and thus, the sport.

Like the sport or not. Different strokes for different folks. However, I just don't see where cheap fits into that. I agree this is a very smart theme for a park in the Carolinas where Nascar's hub is. It would be like having a Babe Ruth-themed coaster at a major park near Cooperstown, NY if there was such a park.

^Just look at pictures though...beautiful silver and black Mercedes themed B&M versus bright colored Nascar themed B&M with stickers on it. I do believe that it looks cheap. Terrible is probably subjective, but cheap...I'll stand by that!

I totally agree that a Nascar theme makes a lot more sense in that part of the country than Mercedes, doesn't mean I have to like it or think it looks good.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I am not judging the actual RIDE, just the theming.

They could have themed it to BMW, there IS a factory about an hour away in Spartanburg.

I don't think Elissa is speaking to the actual financial structuring or cost of sponsorship in NASCAR, simply the look of this particular method used to theme the ride.

Typically, slapping a bunch of stickers on a car doesn't look elegant or sophisticated. Think of all the cars you've seen covered in bumper stickers. How many of them were 12 year old junkers that probably were within 10,000 miles of the end of their service life? Now, how many were brand new BMWs, or sleek, sharp, expensive Mercedes?

I'm a fan of NASCAR, and Taco Bell and Burger King, but when we're talking putting those decals on something you own?

Any time you use the logo of a restaurant where the entire family can eat for nine bucks so long as you're not bothered by sticking to the chairs... kinda screams 'cheap'.

I think those stickers do look cheap. If the front of the train looked like a normal car, and the stickers were normal size, then that would be better. In other words, if it looked like a real nascar than I would understand more. However, it does look like someone just stuck some stickers on the side.

Why do contingency stickers = cheap? I don't see the connection.

On real Nascar race cars, those contingency stickers match up to programs run by the companies whose logos are on those stickers. These programs earn the race teams money that helps them keep racing. I know people don't really like seeing sponsors' logos in major sports, but in Nascar, where there is no franchising, and nothing down to the tires & gasoline is provided, sponsorship dollars is vital to the continued existence of the teams, and thus, the sport.

Like the sport or not. Different strokes for different folks. However, I just don't see where cheap fits into that. I agree this is a very smart theme for a park in the Carolinas where Nascar's hub is. It would be like having a Babe Ruth-themed coaster at a major park near Cooperstown, NY if there was such a park.

Elissa was only talking about how it looks on the cars and the coaster. I agree with her. I get that its supposed to look like a NASCAR car, and I get that teams have to pay for their car somehow...but it all looks cheap and tacky. The train (and cars) would probably look a lot better without all the logos tacked on.

Oh, and a Babe Ruth coaster would be AWESOME. Cigars, Booze, and sex related things would take the place of the tacky NASCAR logos!

Edited by Jew

I don't think it would look too bad if there was more bodywork down the train. However B&M have really stripped these trains down for a more exposed feel, so the tiny little zero-car at the front looks terrible like this!

Maybe it looks cheap, but that's exactly how they look in real life.

I kind of think that's what Elissa was getting at.

In that case, ok! NASCAR is a silly theme regardless, even if it does make sense for the area. Next they should have an infield inside the layout where overweight, sunburned, drunken men can park their RVs and get even drunker.

I don't think it would look too bad if there was more bodywork down the train. However B&M have really stripped these trains down for a more exposed feel, so the tiny little zero-car at the front looks terrible like this!

I totally agree. It looks like a stripped down car on wheels, with cheap captain seats.