TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Yeah, because there is nothing on this Earth that is more boring than dropping 300ft at an 85* angle into a 92mph, highly-banked turn, followed by a 150ft camelback and then a fast, twisted, airtime-filled, 4000ft journey back to the station.

What a snoozefest.

I agree, but just let it go DBru. You're never going to change their minds.

On a side note, I also remember reading on other sites how boring El Toro looked when it was first announced. ...And we all know how that turned out. Hopefully this Intamin will be just as good.

Yeah, because there is nothing on this Earth that is more boring than dropping 300ft at an 85* angle into a 92mph, highly-banked turn, followed by a 150ft camelback and then a fast, twisted, airtime-filled, 4000ft journey back to the station.

What a snoozefest.

On a side note, I also remember reading on other sites how boring El Toro looked when it was first announced. ...And we all know how that turned out. Hopefully this Intamin will be just as good.

Intimidator 305 has AT LEAST 6 airtime hills/spots (NOT including what very well may be the most ridiculous first drop EVER) and some ridiculous banked turns/S curves. Just for a comparison, it is 700 ft longer than El Toro, 124' taller (124' bigger drop), with a 9 degree STEEPER drop (85 vs 76) at least 23mph FASTER than El Toro (93+ vs 70). Oh, and it still has roughly the same amount of airtime spots (could even have more).

So to recount, Intimidator 305 is TALLER, FASTER, has JUST as much airtime spots (if not more), has a STEEPER drop, and longer layout than El Toro, and it is likely that the OTSR will be minimal and comfortable. So how exactly is that supposed to be unimpressive?

Hell, the fact that it could have the BEST first drop EVER should make it automatically more exciting than anything B&M.

Intimidator 305 has AT LEAST 6 airtime hills/spots (NOT including what very well may be the most ridiculous first drop EVER) and some ridiculous banked turns/S curves. Just for a comparison, it is 700 ft longer than El Toro, 124' taller (124' bigger drop), with a 9 degree STEEPER drop (85 vs 76) at least 23mph FASTER than El Toro (93+ vs 70). Oh, and it still has roughly the same amount of airtime spots (could even have more).

So to recount, Intimidator 305 is TALLER, FASTER, has JUST as much airtime spots (if not more), has a STEEPER drop, and longer layout than El Toro, and it is likely that the OTSR will be minimal and comfortable. So how exactly is that supposed to be unimpressive?

Hell, the fact that it could have the BEST first drop EVER should make it automatically more exciting than anything B&M.

How is it, that we can tear apart individuals who claim a ride that hasn't even been built yet "sucks", but we can praise it for all the air-time we "know" it will have?

Nobody has any idea how awesome/craptacular I305 or Intimidator at Carowinds is going to be. The most we can do is take guesses based on our experiences with similar coasters. And that only takes us so far.

Speaking of which... have you been on any of the new B&M hypers? If you've not been on either Diamondback or Behemoth, I'm quite curious how you can be so down on "anything B&M".

DB > Apollo's Chariot... and it wasn't even close in my opinion. Just because they were both B&M hypers... they were a league apart. New track elements and designs, entirely new trains... made for a very different experience.

DB > Apollo's Chariot... and it wasn't even close in my opinion. Just because they were both B&M hypers... they were a league apart. New track elements and designs, entirely new trains... made for a very different experience.

That's interesting. I had the opposite reaction. I'm not entirely sure why, but the "new" B&M hypers I've been on (Diamondback, Goliath) haven't impressed me nearly as much as, say, Apollo. Steeper should be better, right? But the forces on the new ones just seem weird to me. Lots of pushing me forward into my lapbar and then sitting me down hard sort of stuff.

To each their own, I guess. I do think (this) Intimidator looks really cool, though.

How is it, that we can tear apart individuals who claim a ride that hasn't even been built yet "sucks", but we can praise it for all the air-time we "know" it will have?

Nobody has any idea how awesome/craptacular I305 or Intimidator at Carowinds is going to be. The most we can do is take guesses based on our experiences with similar coasters. And that only takes us so far.

Speaking of which... have you been on any of the new B&M hypers? If you've not been on either Diamondback or Behemoth, I'm quite curious how you can be so down on "anything B&M".

To be fair, no, I haven't been on Diamondback or Behemoth yet, but compared to everything I have been on/heard reviews about, Intamin the clear favorite. I have been on Nitro and Apollo's for B&M hypers and as much as I love them, they just don't stand up to the best of Intamin. I'm also not a big fan of "floater" airtime. B&M is all about floater, Intamin is all about ejector.

If you want to base the rides on their counterparts: Intamin holds 7 of the top 12 steel coasters of 08 (hawker), all of which are mega, mega light, or giga coasters. They also have 5 of the top 10 woodies (again, about airtime). That is compared to B&M who have 4 in the top 10 steel, only 2 of which are mega coasters. Oh, and they don't make wood. So, I would say Intamin is CLEARLY the company I would put the most faith in when it comes to the best mega/giga coasters (or anything, for that matter).

Now, that being said, B&M IS a great company that produces great rides and the Carowinds Intimidator surely looks great. To call it better than Intimidator 305, though, is laughable.

To be fair, no, I haven't been on Diamondback or Behemoth yet, but compared to everything I have been on/heard reviews about, Intamin the clear favorite. I have been on Nitro and Apollo's for B&M hypers and as much as I love them, they just don't stand up to the best of Intamin. I'm also not a big fan of "floater" airtime. B&M is all about floater, Intamin is all about ejector.

If you want to base the rides on their counterparts: Intamin holds 7 of the top 12 steel coasters of 08 (hawker), all of which are mega, mega light, or giga coasters. They also have 5 of the top 10 woodies (again, about airtime). That is compared to B&M who have 4 in the top 10 steel, only 2 of which are mega coasters. Oh, and they don't make wood. So, I would say Intamin is CLEARLY the company I would put the most faith in when it comes to the best mega/giga coasters (or anything, for that matter).

Now, that being said, B&M IS a great company that produces great rides and the Carowinds Intimidator surely looks great. To call it better than Intimidator 305, though, is laughable.

If this post I just quoted doesn't scream Intamin fanboy, i'm not sure what does. Nice try though. Not sure how anybody including you can say Intimidator 305 at KD is better than Intimidator at Carowinds when neither ride has been built yet.

If this post I just quoted doesn't scream Intamin fanboy, i'm not sure what does. Nice try though. Not sure how anybody including you can say Intimidator 305 at KD is better than Intimidator at Carowinds when neither ride has been built yet.

I am an Intamin fan boy... because they build the most intense coasters.

Also, I'm not saying it is better, I'm saying it will likely be better. I know they haven't been built yet, but if we go on history, Intamin will deliver. The B&M intimidator will be great too, I'm not saying it won't. I just think that clearly a Intamin Giga coaster with an almost mega-light like layout and near vertical drop (and from the looks of it, more airtime than Millennium Force) is far more impressive than a modified B&M hyper.

Also, I'm not saying it is better, I'm saying it will likely be better.

This is you saying Intamin is better:

To call it better than Intimidator 305, though, is laughable.

I just think that clearly a Intamin Giga coaster with an almost mega-light like layout and near vertical drop (and from the looks of it, more airtime than Millennium Force) is far more PROBLEMATIC than a modified B&M hyper.

Fixed.

Also, I'm not saying it is better, I'm saying it will likely be better.

This is you saying Intamin is better:

To call it better than Intimidator 305, though, is laughable.

That is in response to those saying the Carowind's Intimidator is better and the King's Dominion one looks boring. Also, that's arguing semantics. Of course no one know right now which one is better because they don't yet exist. When we say "it's better" we are implying "when its built".

I just think that clearly a Intamin Giga coaster with an almost mega-light like layout and near vertical drop (and from the looks of it, more airtime than Millennium Force) is far more PROBLEMATIC than a modified B&M hyper.

EXPLAIN. How do you come to that conclusion? The only big problems Intamin has had in the last 8 years was/is from their launch coasters. Millennium Force is VERY reliable so I see no reason why Intimidator 305 wouldn't be. Also, don't hold it against Intamin that they sometimes face problems when they are inventive. B&M really hasn't pushed the boundaries in a looonng time. They pretty much took existing ideas and just perfected them. Yes, great coasters, but they don't have anywhere near the innovation as Intamin (or Arrow, etc), especially in the last decade. But lets not get into a fanboy argument and hijack the thread.

Umm, Alex...what exactly do you think will be problematic about I305?

There is no new technology being used on the coaster, and MF (for the most part) is very reliable...not any worse than a B&M mega coaster, anyway.

Ok, Magnum>Diamondback>Steel Force>SoB

Those are all of the hypers I have ridden. I guess I am a CP fanboy but really, Magnum is better.

And about I305. I do think that Intamin delivers more intense rides. I do think that both Intimidators will be great, and at the beginning I thought the Carowinds Intimidator would be better, until I rode Diamondback. I was a little disappointed though it was still great.

Millennium Force is one great ride. The first drop is amazing and I could only imagine that the drop on I305 will be better. It has sharp turns like Maverick, airtime better than, umm Millennium, and some other stuff that is good. I now think I305 is better.

I will look at this at a Cedar Fair standpoint and will be very happy with these 2010 additions.

I think next time CF does a similar thing like this. They should build clones so everybody will be happy

I don't understand where all this "these 2 coasters are competing" mentality is coming from. If they were named 2 totally different names none of this debating would be happening (well at least not this much).

They are very differerent rides that look to be awesome in the fact that it looks like what they are designed to do they will do very well!!!

I for one am really happy they are very different (other than the theme)

I have not been to Carowinds since 2002 mainly cause it is VERY similar to KD, but with I232 I will go probably at least twice next year.

JEFF

Seriously, I'm just happy that after all these years of neglect under Paramount, we are finally getting a NEW coaster, and that's not the best part, it's a hyper! Seriously people let's not bring KD's coaster into this. They are both completely different rides by completely different manufacturers. Let's keep this discussion aimed at the amazing looking, tallest B&M in America.

I'm very excited, this is finally giving this park the signature attraction it has always needed as well as a good supplier of airtime, Hurler doesn't cut it. Intimidator is sure to be a very good ride and it gives me something to follow through the off season.

No one complained this much about Cobra...

Seriously, I'm just happy that after all these years of neglect under Paramount, we are finally getting a NEW coaster,

yeah paramount was soo neglectful to carowinds. Forget about top gun it wasnt a new, custom inverted coaster...and reptar, and saturator, and richoet...lets just bash paramount for running the parks into the ground almost to death...

If I would call any park being neglected it would be Michigain Adventures...

Seriously, I'm just happy that after all these years of neglect under Paramount, we are finally getting a NEW coaster,

yeah paramount was soo neglectful to carowinds. Forget about top gun it wasnt a new, custom inverted coaster...and reptar, and saturator, and richoet...lets just bash paramount for running the parks into the ground almost to death...

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. They might as well just rename the park "Six Flags Kentucky Dump"

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. They might as well just rename the park "Six Flags Kentucky Dump"

Creative.

What a snoozefest.

Where did I say it's unimpressive? All I said was that some people were calling El Toro's layout boring too, when it first was announced. Of course, it ended up being a kick arse ride and I'm hoping I305 will follow suit. ...That is another great Intamin. ...So next time please don't be so quick to jump to conclusions, because you're giving us Intamin fanboys a bad name.

^Well Fanboys tend to judge a lot of things before they are built. It's common nature. It's cool that Carowinds is building the tallest B&M in America (Not that anyone cared when Nitro had the record for 8 years.) Both layouts look the same but which will deliver more. I can't say that Nitro is better because I haven't ridden Intimidator but from looks Nitro is a winner. The transitions on Carowinds coaster looks Vekoma-e. Lol. Either way you guys have a great coaster on your hands be lucky your still getting 200+ footers and I'm in New Jersey hoping in 2011 we will get something bigger than a GCI.