TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Assuming Cedar Point's upcoming announcement will not include one, I guess this means another year of hoping for an Intamin mega lite installation is over. Maybe they're considered a terroristic threat to the U.S. or something?

It is my contention that one of these will NEVER be built in the US, as they are extremely forceful and contain a great deal of extreme airtime, two things greatly feared by US park owners. I'd love to be proved wrong on this, of course, but doubt I will be any time soon.

As for the announcement, looks like fun. I'm sure I'll get down there to ride it at some point...

dt

^You and everybody else. This coaster is going to be epic and will without doubt be a great coaster (I say that as well for KD)! Something about the sweet curves on this coaster though are awesome. The updated hammerhead looks so steezy and that second hill drop looks like renegades first drop in the off ride video. Should definitely be a good coaster, just seems a little short on airtime hills. I live in Colorado and even I am debating a cedar fair pass to check out all these awesome coasters!!

It is my contention that one of these will NEVER be built in the US, as they are extremely forceful and contain a great deal of extreme airtime, two things greatly feared by US park owners.

Seriously? Since when? Last I checked there an awful lot of coasters in the US that are what I would call "extremely forceful" and contain lots of extreme airtime.

If anything a US version will depend on if there is a park that wants to buy a non-looping steal coaster with that kind of footprint, with that kind of height, with that kind of budget. When it comes to forceful rides with powerful airtime there have been plenty built in the US in the past 5 years.

YAY! I only live ten minutes away. It will be like having my own hyper coaster in my backyard. After a 7-mile driveway, of course. I love the 2nd twisting drop, the wicked Panoramic U-Turn, and the inclined helix finale. Trims don't really ruin Goliath for me that much, and after September 13th, I'll know what to expect more after riding Diamondback.

I think that hearing this discussion is interesting, as some people are criticizing a concept that used to be a rare thing. Its funny to think that we live in a time now where people are actually bashing hyper and GIGA coasters, because they're so common. During the late 80s and early 90s, the only hypers in America were Magnum XL-200, Desperado, Steel Force, and I guess Steel Eel (not over 200 ft.) These coasters, very expensive, were not built that often. I mean the world has been getting a new hyper-coaster practically every year since 2000. A LOT of the general public still fears going up high, and the pure sensation of speed will serve to bring tons of people to Carowinds. Way to go!!!

It is my contention that one of these will NEVER be built in the US, as they are extremely forceful and contain a great deal of extreme airtime, two things greatly feared by US park owners.

Seriously? Since when? Last I checked there an awful lot of coasters in the US that are what I would call "extremely forceful" and contain lots of extreme airtime.

LMAO @ the guy who thinks Dave doesn't know what he's talking about!

If anything a US version will depend on if there is a park that wants to buy a non-looping steal coaster with that kind of footprint, with that kind of height, with that kind of budget. When it comes to forceful rides with powerful airtime there have been plenty built in the US in the past 5 years.

And yet, even with all of those that you're referring to, most, if not all of the folks on these boards who could give you an honest comparison would agree that the mega lite is the clear cut winner. Now what does that say?

I don't wanna side track this discussion from Intimidator though. Truth is, concerning Carowinds' Intimidator, Cedar Fair has once again made a tremendous business decision. They're building a reliable "record breaker" themed to Dale Earnhardt in a park less than an hour from the man's hometown. This is a HUGE win, whichever way you slice it.

The selfish enthusiast side of me just wished for something different. It'll still be fun though.

EDIT: In fact (and I never really care about this stuff), I'd almost be willing to take the Pepsi Challenge that Carowinds' attendance figures beat KD's for next season (percentage-wise over each park's '09 figures).

LMAO @ the guy who thinks Dave doesn't know what he's talking about!

Thanks! I'm used to this, though. Seems the internet is clogged with experts in everything these days. Those with actual life experiences, whether in business or in other activities are often ignored over whoever can yell the loudest. Sort of sad, really, and likely why less and less people "in the know" participate on open forums.

In any event, those who doubt, serious question: have you been on a Mega Lite? Seriously, for the size/footprint, these rides deliver an INSANE amount of airtime/forces. Enough so that I put the first one I rode in Japan at #2 on my steel list (beaten only by the mighty EGF).

Contrast this to what parks have been building: lots of B&M hypers. Nothing wrong with those, I do like them quite a bit (especially the ones in Canada and Georgia), but for anyone who's ridden both types of coasters, there is no comparison between the two.

I am no construction expert (see? I admit when I don't know something), but given the size/footprint of a ML, I'm guessing that constructing one would cost less than a larger B&M or other manufacturer hypercoaster. So I have to wonder to myself, what reasoning would a park in the US take into account when deciding against building a ML? And I come back to the forces and air time. US parks are known for "overreacting" to safety concerns, partially over insurance premiums (which are insane), partially due to our giant nation of babies, who will sue for a billion dollars if they chipped a fingernail on a ML when the air time brushed their hand against the side of the car. Which is why I maintain one of these will never be built in the US. Again, I'd love to be wrong about this, but I doubt it.

Anyway, this was way off topic. Again, I think the new ride at Carrowinds will be hugely popular and will be a huge hit for the park, and I really look forward to riding it. I'm not a NASCAR fan, but totally see why they chose this theme and think it will make it an even more successful project for the park and CF. Looking forward to next year!

dt

Truth is, concerning Carowinds' Intimidator, Cedar Fair has once again made a tremendous business decision. They're building a reliable "record breaker" themed to Dale Earnhardt in a park less than an hour from the man's hometown. This is a HUGE win, whichever way you slice it.

The selfish enthusiast side of me just wished for something different. It'll still be fun though.

QFT

The ride looks very impressive. That second hill really does look interesting. but I think a really tight helix like on SFoG's Goliath or Nitro would make it even better, instead of that rather lazy looking helix

Now I didn't see any in the video but I'm willing to bet CF will install trims all over the ride and ruin it. But its a much needed addition to the park and now I will have to make the trek to this park

Why all those complains about the restraints used on both Intimidator coasters??

For rollercoasters in general they are ok, but they don't fit the Nascar/Racing theme.

If you want to have the perfect Nascar themed rollercoaster the trains must have the through 5-point or 6-point racing harnesses.

I still think Goliath at SFoG will be better.

How? This has got everything Goliath doesn't.

3 Bunny hills in a row, no mid course brakes, and I'm sure CF will find at least three places to put some trims in there.

Gotcha. Thanks. I imagine there will be trim brakes on this unfortunately.

I think that hearing this discussion is interesting, as some people are criticizing a concept that used to be a rare thing. Its funny to think that we live in a time now where people are actually bashing hyper and GIGA coasters, because they're so common. During the late 80s and early 90s, the only hypers in America were Magnum XL-200, Desperado, Steel Force, and I guess Steel Eel (not over 200 ft.) These coasters, very expensive, were not built that often. I mean the world has been getting a new hyper-coaster practically every year since 2000. A LOT of the general public still fears going up high, and the pure sensation of speed will serve to bring tons of people to Carowinds. Way to go!!!

QFT

It's sad, but its true. It seems you can't please anyone these days. But I'm really looking forward to both Intimidator rides. Now to lose some of the ass weight so I can fit on both of them!

Now I didn't see any in the video but I'm willing to bet CF will install trims all over the ride and ruin it.

Why would you think this? This wasn't the case on either Behemoth or Diamonback so what makes you think that out of the blue Cedar Fair is going to brake happy with this one?

--Robb