TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

From what I remember of the track pieces in the official red beemer track thread, wasn't it fairly twisted track? I would say its a complete match that the track showing up and the track at the plant are for the same coaster, but maybe this won't be a hyper like DB or Behemoth and more of the twisted hyper like Raging Bull? On that carowinds link a couple posts above when you got your picture with the track, you should have gotten your picture next to the label on the track, that way we can match them and see for sure.

^The track has the elongated spine though, found only on flying coasters and mega coasters, and since we know it's not a flying coaster, it must be a mega coaster. The twisted track was probably just for one of the future ride's helices

Hello All,

If I get to verbose please bare with me. I don't have any pictures, and I had a VERY interesting experience in a VERY short amount of time at Carowinds, the evening of the 6th. If you insist, you can skip down to the bottom where i speculate about the track site.

I've hit up the twilight pass at Cedar Point when I visited there, some of my co-workers at a restaurant/bar I work at were going to Carowinds twilight deal. Fortunately, I just happened to be there when they were talking about it. Of course, I couldn't turn down their offer, and it was only 26 dollars! So we were through the gate by 4:30 and the park closed at 8 o'clock.

Unbelievably, one of the female coworkers (there were 2 guys and 2 girls all together) had a bout with nostalgia and wanted to ride the Kaleidoscope (scrambler). I like those rides so, I had no qualms about doing so. Then we skipped Vortex and traveled to the Carolina Cyclone to get things warmed up, especially since the ladies did not want to ride the hurler.

Upon arriving to the station I was filled with dismay. The station platform was totally full, and the rest of the rides seemed to have walk on lines at first glance. Our party came to find out they were only running one train, which was terribly unusual as ALL of the other coasters were running two trains, even Thunder Road on BOTH sides.

In the station, we had planned on sitting in the last seat to get that nice pop of air on the first drop. Unfortunately, there were very rude teenage patrons who had no concern for those around them and added three people in front of us, in line. They were also cursing, and using the open restrains as hand holds pushing them down in front of other boarding patrons. The ride was fun, and a nice warm up. And luckily we were rid of the rude teenagers.

Next, we walked over to the Carolina Cobra, and I was very excited as I've never been on a traditional Boomerang (I know, I know). I've been on Deja Vu at SFMM and SFOG and thought they were both superior and shocking rides. Of course, while standing in line this ride seemed VERY shocking too as it climbed up the 2nd spike. The ride's fallback lever made its usual clacking sound, but then the train suddenly LURCHED to a complete stop with 2 very loud sounds. I assume these sounds are some kind of brakes to keep the ride from rolling back and stalling in the cobra roll. But the violent motion in which the whole train shook and the coaster as well, was slightly unsettling.

So since we were on a time constraint, we quickly abandoned the line in hopes of coming back later. We continued to TOP GU . . . er After Burn (which is what I had after dinner this evening) and had a one train wait to board the 7th row. The ride was phenomenal and takes my number one spot for an Invert. Batman clones have extreme forces much like this ride, and much more than TDDragons or Raptor. The Layout of After Burn is what makes this coaster, the steep terrain, the ravines and tunnels you plunge through (even though the mist was off).

After jumping off that ride, we continued to Thunder Road, where one sat out and three of us sat in three different seats on the 3rd car. I picked the middle cause I was seeing if the theory that applied on The Great American Scream Machine at SFOG (sitting in the middle seat on a car) worked with thunder road. It CERTAINLY did for me, and I enjoyed a rather smooth ride, especially after they rebuilt most of the ride. The transitions from new to old were noticeable. My friends who sat on wheel seats, had a very rough and terrible experience. And it gave the lady a stomach ache.

We did spot the track thats been placed in the staging area and it appears to be only a low grade incline to a brake-run so far. But, we continued on to Nighthawk (UGH). This had the longest line in the park (even more than cobras) due to the extremely long loading times. Of course, even if they had dual stations, they would never hire 6 people instead of 3, just like SFOG! The RIDE, very forceless and shaky, would not have been missed by me, since I endured it for the first time last summer. But so many people can't get over the novelty of riding on your back and flipping over on your stomach.

Next was Cobra, since we were right around the corner, via the pathway that used to be the circular lake surrounding former Smurf Island. We got on this time (the very back) and we didn't get stuck! One more credit for me. The ride was fun, but not as exciting as the SUPER INVERTED boomerang. Not too terribly shaky at all, except for one side of the cobra roll.

To speed things up, we were getting through the park quickly as we only had 40 minutes left. We hit up Carolina Goldrusher (FUN), Vortex (full of vibration and a minor ear banger), and the other gentleman that was with us rode the Hurler with me. He had never been to the park so i tried to take him on as many coasters as possible. I must say that the Hurler was running way faster than the video on my http://www.youtube.com/user/tuxedomask5432

page. But it felt like the train was tearing through the track and some transitions were rather violent.

AS for the construction site. I'm not sure if my depth of field is off but I don't see the parameters traveling all the way to the south entrance. And it dosen't seem like they're pouring any more footers further down the parking lot in that direction. Perhaps I'm wrong, and they will expand further south later. Now, the area seems to be an hourglass shape area in which to build the coaster, with two bulbous endings and a narrow neck. I HOPE we get a B&M Twister hyper, like Raging Bull sans trim breaks, at least for the first 5 years.

Well thanks for bearing with me all who have read. Hope you have a pleasant day.

AS for the construction site. I'm not sure if my depth of field is off but I don't see the parameters traveling all the way to the south entrance. And it dosen't seem like they're pouring any more footers further down the parking lot in that direction. Perhaps I'm wrong, and they will expand further south later. Now, the area seems to be an hourglass shape area in which to build the coaster, with two bulbous endings and a narrow neck. I HOPE we get a B&M Twister hyper, like Raging Bull sans trim breaks, at least for the first 5 years.

If you walk down to the south gate, the footers have already been poured all the way down with some only 25 feet from the entrance gates. This ride will definitely go all the way to the south gate.

Maverick, Diamondback, the new KD coaster, and this one!!! CF loves red tracks!

My vote goes for something like Diamondback, but I am still hoping for a "T-Express" of B&M hypers more than anything, probably not going to happen...Going to just have to wait and see...

Maverick, Diamondback, the new KD coaster, and this one!!! CF loves red tracks

You left out Firehawk, Silver Bullet, Patriot, Most of Dragster, one of Xcelerator's trains (was retrofitted with a red coat of paint shortly after opening). Is Dunn-Edwards giving them some kinda discount on red paint or something?