TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I must admit that the new colors look nice and new paint is much needed on that ride, but I don't think the colors fit the name of the ride at all. I think colors of coasters should some how relate to the images that the name conjures up. I think they just went for the "in your face approach" rather than trying create a "experience" that the name and ride should deliver.

Carolina Cobra is another example of this. The colors in no way relate to Carolina or a Cobra. They just picked some bright colors that really stand out.

I'm just saying....

Looks pretty awful to be honest. Generic Cedar Fair paint strikes again! Which I might add is why it'll work in Carowinds now that the new owners have settled in and put their own style into production.

I much preferred BORG's colours, at least that tried to be a bit different with what it did. This could be almost any big coaster in any of their parks. But the licensing and the old theme is now nonexistent, so Cedar Fair have no need to keep it like that if they don't feel it will fit in to their park.

I think it's a definite improvement over the two previous color schemes that this ride has had in it's life span so far.

I must admit that the new colors look nice and new paint is much needed on that ride, but I don't think the colors fit the name of the ride at all. I think colors of coasters should some how relate to the images that the name conjures up. I think they just went for the "in your face approach" rather than trying create a "experience" that the name and ride should deliver.

Carolina Cobra is another example of this. The colors in no way relate to Carolina or a Cobra. They just picked some bright colors that really stand out.

I'm just saying....

Exactly.

I think they just went for the "in your face approach" rather than trying create a "experience" that the name and ride should deliver.

I'm just saying....

I agree Shane. I've always had a problem with Cedar Fair's rides being a bit half-arsed on the imagination side of things. But that's just me.

Their philosophy seems to be very much like that of a fairground operator - to get the biggest return from the least necessary expenditure. As a result, it's a very well run business (and why a lot of their parks look like glorified fairgrounds). But there's no heart and soul to their parks. Cedar Point felt like there was something there, but nothing like an upper tier chain park like a Busch park or PortAventura. Knott's just felt like it was just being operated on with no anaesthesia the way it has been transformed in certain areas.

Anyway - back onto the ride...

Looks pretty awful to be honest. Generic Cedar Fair paint strikes again! Which I might add is why it'll work in Carowinds now that the new owners have settled in and put their own style into production.

I much preferred BORG's colours, at least that tried to be a bit different with what it did. This could be almost any big coaster in any of their parks. But the licensing and the old theme is now nonexistent, so Cedar Fair have no need to keep it like that if they don't feel it will fit in to their park.

I think it's a definite improvement over the two previous color schemes that this ride has had in it's life span so far.

I'd agree for the Stealth years of this ride's life. That was just plonked on some dirt with a few garden trees sticking up here and there.

But as for it's second incarnation as Borg, I couldn't agree with you less.

It's like decorating a house - if you don't like or can't carry on with something, it has to be changed. New paint can give a whole new image to a ride and revitalise it. I still think it's a product of a company who, although are very business savvy, don't make a lot of things that appeal to me.

Personally I like the new colors, the fact Carowinds is showing they care about the coaster is nice in my eyes. Though personally I hope they some day scrap the old stealth train for a newer more second generation X-flight/Firehawk train. The old metal look is kind of annoying unless they managed to paint that. Added with that the older padding is getting very uncomfortable and stiff.

There's nothing wrong with those colors, and the first thing that came to mind was Invertigo. I liked the older colors more, and here's my reason. Nighthawk was/is the "best" roller coaster at the park. This is according to a bunch of people I overheard while waiting in lines. The older colors were more aggressive and threatening. They kind of gave the impression that "This is a big aggressive ride and you should think twice about riding". The new colors are more friendly and now give the impression that "This ride is just fun, don't be scared of riding this". Cedar Fair's Millennium Force shows that they are willing to have "aggressive colors." I really do feel that if Millennium Force were to have Nighthawk's new color scheme, impressions on how "hardcore" that ride is, would be diminished.

On a sort of side note, I'd be interested to find out patrons reactions to it. Will people start thinking that Top Gun.. err Afterburn is THE ride at Carowinds? I think most people would agree it's the better ride, but would Afterburn be the highlight of the park, like Nighthawk was.

I'd say it's more of a yellowish-orange. But either way as MillenniumChild said, I wouldn't really care what the colours are either. I'd still ride it too. Even if the colours look abit silly, the ride will still be the same either way.

~ Jess "don't just a book by its cover" Chan.

Yes, the ride will be the same... terrible! I waited far too long to ride this thing last summer. It was very rough and not much fun. I far preferred the one at SFA.