TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Just a little random thinking on this one....

Considering that site prep is underway already (removal of the flume) and that bids are being sought, and there was that 'mysterious' track...

But here's the thing that's kinda got my imagination rolling. WHY SO EARLY? If they are intent on a 2010 coaster, with the 2009 coaster yet to be completed, then could this be a very unique ride- I.E. special effects. I know that as a general rule that CF doesn't usually do the 'theme it up the wazoo' thing, but perhaps they're going to give it a go. (Granted, it's a LOOONNNG SHOT!)

I'm putting 10.00 that it's the Mystery Beemer in Ohio right now.... and I'll put a steak or sausage on the same bet that it's going to S.C.

I'm praying that it's a very elaborate scheme by CF to buy several random B&M track pieces, lay 'em out in Ohio to throw off the dorks, then announce plans for the first U.S. Intamin MegaLite installation.

Now that would truly be the only thing worth the torture of reading the "mystery" thread.

Kings Island removed the first tree for Diamondback in November 2007.

April 2009-April 2008= 12 months

April 2008-November 2007= 6 months

12+6=18

March 2010-March 2009= 12 months - 6 months = October 2008, Looks like the Carowinds hyper won't open with the park unless they start pouring footings earlier. However, I am willing to bet the Carowinds hyper will be smaller than Diamondback. I imagine by mid-April, footings will start popping up, and September the first supports will be vertical.

No we don't have details so i guess that part did not leak out but the fact that Carowinds is getting a coaster in 2010 did so someone still dropped a huge ball somewhere.

Well, they do have to get approval for it before they start building it, so they would have to tell someone about it....

12+6=18

March 2010-March 2009= 12 months - 6 months = October 2008, Looks like the Carowinds hyper won't open with the park unless they start pouring footings earlier. However, I am willing to bet the Carowinds hyper will be smaller than Diamondback. I imagine by mid-April, footings will start popping up, and September the first supports will be vertical.

You theory only works if every other factor is a constant. i mean the terrain is totally different. Carowinds is a flat park and the area where diamond back is in rather hilly. Also the temp makes a big difference. the footers have a greater chance of setting much quicker in the carolina weather than the ohio weather. Also the same company isnt doing the construction AND the coasters will probably not be clones...the carowinds coaster could be much shorter. It didnt take goliath at SFoG that long for construction.

besides...who says it is a hyper lol?

Jarvis "jr dive machine with 6 across seating!" Morant

No we don't have details so i guess that part did not leak out but the fact that Carowinds is getting a coaster in 2010 did so someone still dropped a huge ball somewhere.
Actually, no they didn't. Plans have to be submitted to local planning commissions for approval, by way of local ordinances. Anything that is submitted becomes public record.

All we know at this point is that Carowinds will get a coaster in 2010,we don't know yet what type let alone manufacturer that the ride will be from however.

Sure we can speculate til the cows come home on where that track at the Ohio plant is going for but we have no way to confirm that it's headed for Carowinds at this point in time.

I'm just excited we are getting a completely new, not just new to us, coaster in 2010! I'm actually fine with getting the relocated boomerang as it is better than a non-working/cared for ride. It also covers a missing form of coaster in the park, but I'm beyond excited to hear we're getting something new! Some much needed love to what is really a decent home park.

I didn't appreciate what we had so much until I had completed the ECT. After Scarowinds I was reminded of how many things Carowinds actually has going for it. It's nice to actually see some effort from CF to help it grow.

Actually, no they didn't. Plans have to be submitted to local planning commissions for approval, by way of local ordinances. Anything that is submitted becomes public record.

Explained much better than what I had explained.

RollerNut wrote:

12+6=18

You theory only works if every other factor is a constant. i mean the terrain is totally different. Carowinds is a flat park and the area where diamond back is in rather hilly. Also the temp makes a big difference. the footers have a greater chance of setting much quicker in the carolina weather than the ohio weather. Also the same company isnt doing the construction AND the coasters will probably not be clones...the carowinds coaster could be much shorter. It didnt take goliath at SFoG that long for construction.

yeah, the winter weather in Charlotte is nothing like it is in Cincinatti. Way less snow and/or really cold temps. + smaller hyper= Less construction time.

12+6=18

besides...who says it is a hyper lol?

Jarvis "jr dive machine with 6 across seating!" Morant

Carowinds is not completely flat, it is far from it. Log Flume sits on the side of a manmade hill which have yet to find out if it has/will be leveled. Carowinds itself sits on a hill. Hurler is lower than Vortex, Vortex is lower Reptar, and Reptar is lower than Afterburn. Nick Central isn't flat either, Reptar is higher than Log Flume and Panda Express. I also imagine most or all of the pools around Flume will be filled in. I could see the small being reused for splashdown. The bottom of Log Flume's drop is higher than the station.

I have been wanting to ask this for a while now, and I see no time better than now. I was wondering why on sites like this and others it seems that any time there is a chance of Carowinds getting something new, or just in general, people seem to cut Carowinds down for Kings Dominion? I just don't really see KD as such a great park, especially over Carowinds. I mean sure KD is bigger, but is it really better? I do know that it is a choice of opinion.

Its nice to see Carowinds to be getting a completely brand new coaster. I think their last one was Runaway Reptar. If the coaster is from B&M then it can't be stand up, inverted, or flyer. That leaves floorless, hyper, and dive machine. Seeing how the park already has a pretty large collection of looping coasters I think floorless is probably unlikely. So I'm placing my bets on a compact hyper or dive machine.

KD is better then my home park (carowinds) but I do Know this

they might not be for long.

I don't want to sound rude, but why do you say that? I have not ever seen anyone say why they think that. Personally I believe Carowinds is a far better park than KD. Some of the reasons I think that, well one theres not an ugly totally fake looking mountain at Carowinds, all Carowinds, for the most part, are open. I've been to KD twice and both times the one ride I would love to ride has been closed. I do like how KD is more spaced out, but having a lot of the rides on a path for themselves thats way out of the way, I do like to that to an extent, but I don't know if some people do. Also I like how both parks have lots of trees, I think it is nice shady and keeps the overall feel cooler (like temp. wise).