TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I don't see a park like Carowinds adding a hyper,just because SFOG has one doesn't mean Carowinds is gonna get one after all.....just look at KD,it's been ten years(in 09) since AC was installed at BGE,and nine years since superman was installed at SFA & yet KD STILL hasn't added a hyper yet & they're a bigger park,with a larger potential market than Carwoinds is.

Besides CF isn't going to make back to back coaster installations at Carowinds.The only reason that the boomerang is being added instead of ,say a new B&M is because CF had the ride just sitting around as one of their assets from the GL closure & if not for that Carowinds would probably just be looking at more flats,or gasp another wave pool in 09....if anything at all.

...look at KD,it's been ten years(in 09) since AC was installed at BGE,and nine years since superman was installed at SFA & yet KD STILL hasn't added a hyper yet & they're a bigger park,with a larger potential market than Carwoinds is.

But Paramount was owning KD for most of those years, and they weren't into the whole hyper thing. No Paramount park had a hyper while owned by Paramount (SoB does not count). CF has been going through and adding a few hypers to those places, starting with the biggest and most marketable parks. Give it a few years. Who is to say Carowinds (or KD) isn't next on the list? I've heard rumors of hypers for both.

Besides CF isn't going to make back to back coaster installations at Carowinds.The only reason that the boomerang is being added instead of, say a new B&M is because CF had the ride just sitting around as one of their assets from the GL closure & if not for that Carowinds would probably just be looking at more flats,or gasp another wave pool in 09....if anything at all.

I'm confused with this part. You say Carowinds won't get a coaster in 2010 because of Caro. Cobra, but then you give legitimate evidence as to how a big 2010 project could be justified. I'd say you guys are much more likely for a big 2010 installation than, say, KI

I wouldn't say that Kings Dominion is in a "much" larger market than Carowinds. Carowinds is within an hour or two of much of the Peidmont Region of North Carolina, and only a bit longer for a lot of South Carolina. I would be hard pressed to believe that if they do add a hyper, that it would be as tall as Behemoth or Diamondback. I would guess that it would be more like Goliath at SFOG or Goliath at La Ronde. I agree that the first drop under the bridge would be wicked awesome!!!

-Gary T.

I would be hard pressed to believe that if they do add a hyper, that it would be as tall as Behemoth or Diamondback. I would guess that it would be more like Goliath at SFOG or Goliath at La Ronde. I agree that the first drop under the bridge would be wicked awesome!!!

I agree, I don't think it would end up being huge like Behemoth and Diamondback. Probably a little bigger than Goliath(SFOG) though. (haha just a little hope in that last remark )

Carowinds is in need of some airtime and, after YEARS of rumors for a hyper, I'm glad more good rumors, one's with a little back up, are coming in.

... and the thing about the first drop going under the bridge is pretty much impossible. There isn't enough room for the rest of the ride on the other side of the bridge, due to Rip Roarin' Rapids and The Paladium. Besides, there's barely enough room for a turn around.

Oh well, who knows They could due some huge landscaping to the area and make the room.

Just have to wait and see if a hyper really is the future for Carowinds.

I don't think cedar fair cares about carowinds because all they can think

about is cedar point,kings island and canada's wonderland.I do think

KD is #1 on the list for A B&M followed by carowinds.

Kings Dominion just got a B&M. Sure it wasn't new, but it was still awesome, and the general public probably aren't going to realize so it will be just as popular as a new B&M for a while.

I could see Carrowinds getting a new B&M, just because their collection is lacking coasters that are even over 150 ft, but quite honestly the former Paramount park I think could benefit from a huge B&M the most is California's Great America. There isn't any real hyper coasters in north California, so having a Behemoth/Diamondback type coaster their could really dominate the San Fransisco area theme park market.

I think CF should take that step first and come back to Carrowinds after Carolina Cobra gets old (which probably wouldn't take too long)

Your proof is kinda flawed...carowinds at one time never had an inverted coaster...but they now have one. Thay alsoDidnt have a flying coaster but they do now.

Just because carowinds doesnt have a coaster over 140 ft doesnt mean they cannot never do it. I mean how many parks have the same kinda coaster?

^^It is taking the place of (from what I've heard) an even worse coaster that barely worked. Look at it that way and it's an improvement. But of course you'll be disappointed if you compare it to a fictional B&M hyper you dream about at night.

And the GP will eat it up. Which means smaller lines for Afterburn. Another win for you.

And it was cheap for CF, so it's not like this used up the next 5 years' budget. KI got an ex-GL used Vekoma as well, and looky looky two years later. CF is really turning their attention to the ex-Paramount parks. Give it a couple years. Enjoy the new trains for now, and you'll get that huge ride soon enough.

^I doubt it. Paramount didn't do hypers (so I guess you could blame them for that), so they wouldn't have put one on that land anyway. And CF just hasn't been in control long enough to originate a world-class attraction at all of their parks yet. Wonderland and Kings Island are two of the top 4 seasonal parks in North America in attendance, and thus make a lot more money than Carowinds. It makes sense to put hypers at those parks first.

I don't think Carowinds would have a hyper now anyway, owning the woods or not.

I don't think Carowinds would have a hyper now anyway, owning the woods or not.

I agree. I think that Carowinds has grown along with the city of Charlotte and its surrounding areas. I think Charlotte just broke into the top 20 in population but we really don't have anything really significant or historical or special about our city that draws people in...not the best strategy for a large enough park for huge, extreme coasters. (Don't get me wrong, I love it here and will probably never move its a great place!!)

If CF is smart, they will invest wisely in small but efficient changes to "catch-up" for what Paramount didn't quite understand about theme parks. When the time is ready, I think there will be significant changes. I think the addition of the Boomerang alone and bringing back the Southern Star means CF is in for the long haul....hopefully.

Am I the only one who finds it pretty amusing that they are advertising this as the "thrill seeker only ride" when after burn is at least 100 times more intense. Those old B&M inverts really pack a punch, when I tried to marathon Batman I could only go for two rides in a row.