TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Sean "This theme park deserves a better class of roller coaster,and we're gonna give it to them...you'll see we'll show you" Chappell

Nice way to sneek a Joker reference in there

Something kind of like this is what I'd expect of Carowinds. http://www.rcdb.com/ig3385.htm?picture=24 Think that with the new trains and maybe a little longer I don't know. Baby Behemoth.

Something like that with some decent airtime could be a nice addition to the park, although I still think it would be awesome to drive down I-77 and see a 200+ footer towering over the rest of the park.

I would not be suprised to see KD & Carowinds get hypers in 2010. I pray the Carowinds hyper is a B&M though.

AMEN I agree with that SO MUCH but i could do without the new trains. The design is stupid because if your riding with someone else and you don't get the two front seats your not sitting beside the person you want to ride with. Or if you've got three or four in a group, only two of you get to sit together. The old seats were way better because you actually got to sit with the rest of your group no matter where you sit on the train.

see..... the two on the outside are enjoying riding beside their friends. Not three feet behind them.

Something kind of like this is what I'd expect of Carowinds. http://www.rcdb.com/ig3385.htm?picture=24 Think that with the new trains and maybe a little longer I don't know. Baby Behemoth.

I agree but with the old trains and a horse shoe turn instead of the turn around on this one(Goliath @ La Ronde). I think if they wrapped it around nick central and did the turn around at the back entrance gates it would end up being a good ride.

Crikey! A large crate has been delivered to Carowinds that seems to be containing a large reptile of some sort. I guess headspin is becoming something new and we're gonna get a reptile themed coaster along with WOF and KI.

01cc.thumb.jpg.f40a7dd3ecaf7727335edd4f89e025cf.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Screamscape

01c.jpg.c34744698b3a00def82d3fee7fd7ae77.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Screamscape

• 2 weeks later...
As a former 2007 Top Gun ride operator, the reason you might see an employee of the ride (and only of the specific ride) hop on an empty seat is because they do saftey test each hour or so to make sure all is running smoothly, we did not ride to have fun, though you might assume we do. I mean yea it "is" fun, but we were told to ride to listen and watch the ride as it went through its circuit. Though you may argue other wise, contact the park and ask them. They will tell you the same thing. After all is said and done though we reported back to our supervisor.

Sorry for the late response...I'm just getting caught up after the ECT. Anyway, that does make some kind of sense. I really don't mind if ride ops get to have some fun as well, it might make them more pleasant through the day.

This is kind of a nice side-effect of quality control. Kind of like when I worked in the bake shop in college. "Excuse me we need someone to taste test the creme filling for the doughnuts. How is this icing? Does it need more chocolate?" I loved that job! And I didn't even gain a ton. (Not sure my roommates fully appreciated the hyped up effects of it all though...)

If you remember, do you mind telling me what rides they were riding?? and around what time?

Again, still getting caught up. So I apologize for the double posts, but I want to respond to those questions directed back to me. Anyway, this is also calling on faulty memory. However, the Yo-yo was one that stood out because it really just seemed like a gigglefest instead of a quality check. And if I remember correctly, they were not ride ops for that particular ride. They came in through the exit and left through the exit as well.

We also rode with two team members on the river rapids, but they were relocating to the exit area. There was a little mini-American Idol contest going on with the mike/speaker system at that location as well. (I think she should stick with the ride-op job for now!)

Times...I know it was in the afternoon, but I really couldn't tell you when. I'm much too old to remember such things! But I'm just old enough to grump about the young whipper snappers every now and then!

As a former 2007 Top Gun ride operator, the reason you might see an employee of the ride (and only of the specific ride) hop on an empty seat is because they do saftey test each hour or so to make sure all is running smoothly, we did not ride to have fun, though you might assume we do. I mean yea it "is" fun, but we were told to ride to listen and watch the ride as it went through its circuit. Though you may argue other wise, contact the park and ask them. They will tell you the same thing. After all is said and done though we reported back to our supervisor.

Sorry for the late response...I'm just getting caught up after the ECT. Anyway, that does make some kind of sense. I really don't mind if ride ops get to have some fun as well, it might make them more pleasant through the day.

This is kind of a nice side-effect of quality control. Kind of like when I worked in the bake shop in college. "Excuse me we need someone to taste test the creme filling for the doughnuts. How is this icing? Does it need more chocolate?" I loved that job! And I didn't even gain a ton. (Not sure my roommates fully appreciated the hyped up effects of it all though...)

So that may explain why I saw a couple of park employees over on Dominator riding in a few empty seats on my trip this past wednesday,I also saw them doing it on avalanche as well.

I think it would be sad to see Wild Thornberries go but I would rather see that go than Goldrusher. Goldrusher has gotten more fun (and rough) throughout the years, hopefully CF wont do something stupid and get rid of it.

I have grown to hate Nickelodeon and wouldn't mind a theme change although it would be expensive. However, Carowinds is very much so a FAMILY park with a gearing towards younger children. Just look at how many junior flat rides there ae compared to adult flat rides.

Having ANY coaster go under the bridge at the entrance would be completely awesome. Carowinds is already pretty high on the inversions list so I wouldn't care if it had any (although I LOVE inversions)

Its just me but Carowinds should really consider namind the snake copperhead because they are indigenous to the area. There are eastern Diamondbacks too but they arent as common although more well known i guess.

I know we all Know that (boomerang) will replace Flying Super Saturator next year, but I was wondering what will happen to FSS? I was hoping they would move it to the waterpark, or send it to Geauga Lake.

That doesn't look like a possibility now that I found it for sale. I think it is FSS anyway. Here it is if anyone wanted to check it out. http://www.intermarkridegroup.com/used-rides/roller-coasters/water-coaster-rc1022.html

If you remember, do you mind telling me what rides they were riding?? and around what time?

Again, still getting caught up. So I apologize for the double posts, but I want to respond to those questions directed back to me. Anyway, this is also calling on faulty memory. However, the Yo-yo was one that stood out because it really just seemed like a gigglefest instead of a quality check. And if I remember correctly, they were not ride ops for that particular ride. They came in through the exit and left through the exit as well.

For they Yo-Yo they would have entered through the exit. The Yo-Yo is not a standalone ride. Anyone you see operating the yo-yo is also an operator for southern star, and action theater. So they may have come from either of those rides.

^You got that right!

I drove by on my way to work and I saw the top of a crane near where the "new" boomerang will be going. They were also moving a lot of the equipment around behind the new wave pool; my guess is over to the site for grading and such.

Im glad they aren't pussyfooting around putting this thing up. Better do it while its still a little warm out.

^You got that right!

I drove by on my way to work and I saw the top of a crane near where the "new" boomerang will be going. They were also moving a lot of the equipment around behind the new wave pool; my guess is over to the site for grading and such.

Im glad they aren't pussyfooting around putting this thing up. Better do it while its still a little warm out.

Funny how they're taking FSS down before the boomerang goes in,as you'll recall during Dominator construction the crew had to take a break & start work dismantling HSXLC.

Then again since the boomerang is replacing FSS it obviously needs to be removed first.