TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Top Spins are by far my favorite flat ride and i would go crazy if Carowinds finally got one. County Fair could be extended to make room for one and more attractions.

There is all that space beside Country Kitchen just begging to put something there.

I think its an alright ride for Carowinds to get, would I rather I be something launched from Intamin or Premier, of course. But at least it better than a used Yo-Yo. I just wish we would get a Top Spin.

If I had things my way I'd rip out the crypt & send it to ya....I rode it once in it's opening year & I hated that thing!

I could see them replacing the Nick characters with Snoopy and crew. You figure that Cedar Fair has had a longer relationship with the company that licences Peanuts to them, and it may be a matter of having a uniform set of characters at all Cedar Fair parks. I would be curious to see how well Snoopy would be recieved here in the Southern parks (Carowinds and Kings Dominion).

Boomerangs are not my favorite either, but I am glad that Carowinds is getting something added at all. I too hope that CF decides to really invest in the park, but I am not surprised that they are not putting in a brand new something fantastic in the next year or so. They've got a lot to handle with the addition of all of the Paramount parks. The expense on signage, trash cans, and other general clean-up has to be a pretty big battle to face.

I agree we need a new, big coaster. I also agree that the flats really need some work. I only got to ride the Sledgehammer a couple of times up at Canada's Wonderland, but I really liked it. I think it would go over well along with a top spin....and a new dark ride of some sort. I would really like a haunted attraction. They could then open it up during Scarowinds, but I like to be scared year 'round. That's why I read some of these posts...scary to be sure!!

I too hope that CF decides to really invest in the park, but I am not surprised that they are not putting in a brand new something fantastic in the next year or so. They've got a lot to handle with the addition of all of the Paramount parks. The expense on signage, trash cans, and other general clean-up has to be a pretty big battle to face.

Then how can you explain behemoth, the gci going to great america and king islands coaster next year?? I kinda see what you are trying to say but it would be different if no parks got anything new but other parks are getting brand spanking new custom rides.

^I personally can't explain it, and I'm not really interested in trying to. I'm just trying to think positively and hope that something new will come down the pike soon. I've been frustrated for years at how neglected I felt Carowinds was by it's previous owners. However it has currently not been selected to close, which is a very good thing.

So, I will hope that bigger, better things are being planned for Carowinds. Ultimately, we really have no control over what we get or don't get. I'm just glad to see any attention paid which makes me think we have not completely been forgotten. I'll just travel with TPR when possible until Carowinds gets its due. Maybe the glasses are a little rose colored, but if it keeps the blood pressure down that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Then how can you explain behemoth, the gci going to great america and king islands coaster next year?? I kinda see what you are trying to say but it would be different if no parks got anything new but other parks are getting brand spanking new custom rides.

I can explain it in 4 words:

Cedar Fair's False Logic

Hey, who cares if the south coaster area is loaded? Carowinds dosent need a new coaster to help attendance. BUT Kings Island CLEARLY needs a new and unique B&M after they just got Firehawk.

Rediculous.

On the other hand, I would guess that Kings Island attracts more people per year than Carowinds, and possibly draws more out-of-town visitors than Carowinds. It is hard to say for sure since I have not seen actual numbers for the parks, and as far as I am aware of, their numbers are not made public.

If the population growth of a city were more of a determination of the types of rides added to a park, then I would think Wild Waves in Fedaral Way, WA would have at least 7 coasters and some major flats by now since the Seattle area has expirienced some of the fastest growth in the country. However, the park is really not as popular as other attrations and sights in Seattle, which could be a possible factor for Carowinds as many people may be visiting Charlotte for various reasons that do not include Carowinds, or some people who live in the area may choose to do more of other things that Carowinds.

Honestly i hope they rebuild the entire coaster in this off-season. Right now its just the turnarounds and 2-3 small sections of the coaster which is not all that great. You can tell when you go over the new sections but its only like 30% of the entire ride thats good. The remaining 70% of the coaster is the same its been the last 10 years.

I'll wait to see if its any good in 2009.

aren't they only running forward trains? to me that is a disapointment. the backwards side was my favorite. i actually have only ridden it forwards twice because i love the reverse side so much.

I'm going in the first of August with my church group. I'm sure we'll end up riding it so I'll give a report on how it rides when i get back.

Maybe not horroible but the same its been for years now.

All track from the station up to the turnarounds has not been rebuilt.

The 2nd half of the ride has the rebuild turnarounds but only 2 of the like 4-5 bunny hops have been rebuilt.

The first half of the ride has not changed and the 2nd half of the coatster about 30% of it has been rebuilt.

Just saying i'm now hearing people say TR is fun again and how amazing it is now but with 70% of the track not yet rebuit i just can't believe that.

Thunder Road is one of my favorites at the park and i would love to see the entire thing rebuilt which just might happen in the off-season.

Well since they are getting the boomerang... i hope that they will get the new lap-bar styled trains. I doubt that they may make this move due the fact that they didn't give Thunderhawk at MI the new restraints. Maybe if the public pushes for it enough they will consider doing so.

take a look: this the boomerang at Wiener Prater

photos are by Wolfgang Payer / fotoreports.parktours.de (also found on RCDB)

I do think that the restraints need some padding if possible.

Maybe not horroible but the same its been for years now.

All track from the station up to the turnarounds has not been rebuilt.

The 2nd half of the ride has the rebuild turnarounds but only 2 of the like 4-5 bunny hops have been rebuilt.

The first half of the ride has not changed and the 2nd half of the coatster about 30% of it has been rebuilt.

Just saying i'm now hearing people say TR is fun again and how amazing it is now but with 70% of the track not yet rebuit i just can't believe that.

Thunder Road is one of my favorites at the park and i would love to see the entire thing rebuilt which just might happen in the off-season.

Have you actually ridden it this season??

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Carowinds for the first time this season yesterday. We had a really good day at the park thanks in part to the ominous weather forecasts! I thought TR was great, but one of my cousins did say she thought it was rough...she doesn't ride a lot though. I told her to tell me if she still thought it was rough after the Hurler. It sucked as it always does and she agreed that TR was nothing after that ride. (sorry for those that love the Hurler, but I stand by my opinion that it sucks as much as ever and is just a bad design.) I did miss the little Barbasol signs going up the lift hill on TR. Does anyone know if they are going to bring those back?

The Super Saturator was just absolutely depressing! The water is almost completely gone and what is left is disgusting. Then we get up to the ride and I ask if the water has been working at all. The ride op says that since they are going to tear it down next month, they aren't going to make any repairs to the water. Just pitiful I feel on the part of CF. The park in general wasn't as clean as it should be. I saw several ride ops riding the rides even though there would be people in line. I think it's great if they are allowed to do that when they do not have guests, but I think it's tacky if you have paying guests waiting in line.

OK, and now for a disturbing rumor....The ride op at SS also said that Goldrusher is also being taken out this year. I had not heard anything about that at all. I asked one of the Goldrusher ops as well. She was not very clear, but seemed to agree that this is it's last season. Then I asked at guest services and one of the managers there said that this was false. He said that ride is an antique...then he asked if I had names of the people that made those statements. I said no, but that seemed a little odd to me....my group felt like that might mean they are going to take it out, but they haven't announced it yet.

I know this should probably go in the super rumor thread, but as the Carowinds fan base read this thread I thought maybe some of you would have some info. I'm going to email CF and Carowinds as well. I'll update the site if I find anything else out.

I would hope they would at least offer the Goldrusher the honor of a farewell year! This was the first coaster for so many people and has been there since the park opened. I feel this would be a true loss for the park, so I'm hoping this is in fact false. I was fairly supportive before of the boomerang, but if we lose Goldrusher for a boomerang...my open will change drastically!

Overall we still had a very good day. I will be back for Scarowinds and possibly one more visit if the rumor about the Goldrusher turns out to be true. I wanted to try to get my niece to ride it, but I really think she won't be ready until next year. We may just have to give it a try this year after all.