TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Yeah, it looks pretty much like a mirror image of TR. If SFKK doesn't do something soon, I'm sure it will end up just like you have described Hurler...

But didn't I read somewhere that in addition the Thunder Road's retracking, Hurler was getting some work too?

Haha, just realized Thunder Run and Thunder Road have the same abbreviations... (in the first sentence I was talking about Thunder Run)

^ You do get Airtime on it. It's just that it is hard to tell from all the Jackhammering. If it was smoother, it would actually be a decent woodie.

I remember riding it right after it was built. That thing had some awesome airtime after the drop and long turn back on those first two camel backs. Going during the week, you could ride it 3 or 4 times in a row without getting off. Hurler is for sure one of my favorites.

Going back to the hyper, I think we could use a hyper or a rocket coaster. Either way we desperately need something. Even though carowinds is only a regional park, whenever i talk to my friends, or people at school about carowinds they always talk about how we need to add something new to the park.

Going back to the hyper, I think we could use a hyper or a rocket coaster. Either way we desperately need something. Even though carowinds is only a regional park, whenever i talk to my friends, or people at school about carowinds they always talk about how we need to add something new to the park.

"Something New" is definately in order. I have honestly not even been to the park to ride Nighthawk so whenever I go again, that will at least be new to me.

I think that CF should utilize some of the parking lot near Thunder Road for an update to the park. No one really ever parks there so why not landscape it, add a Hyper that travels throughout the park (or under it), give it a cool name and add a few more flat rides.

It has just been WAY too long since we got anything new. A lot of it probably has to do with Paramount knowing they were going to stop managing theme parks and not bothering to continue updating. Now that CF has been around a year and probably has a general idea of what the park needs, maybe now we will get something worth while.

Yes we do need something new, thats for sure.

I personally think we should get something added to the thrill zone area of the park, afterall there is a lot of room back behind hurler that is completely undeveloped.

Aside from something big, i believe we could use a couple of flat rides like a top spin and a huss frisbee also.

I've been there twice because our family had the Gold Passes and it was on the way down to vacation. It's an alright park...you could probably get the place done in under 3 hours on a good day. Afterburn is the saving grace at Carowinds. Other than that they have 2nd gen drop tower, a Vekoma flyer, and a cool stand up. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, let alone pay 50 bucks to get in...unless they have a new good coaster.

But yeah, Afterburn is awesome. And..that's really it...And Hurler is a coaster I'm not going to ride...ever again. Horrible.

-JZ

Well, Carowinds opens this weekend. Anyone going anytime soon? Not on my immediate plans but I hope to make it out there and take some pictures. Ill go if Thunder Road gets done but after going by there on Friday, it doesn't look like it will be any time soon.

^I think 4 people have posted trips reports already... lol

Haha, yeah I JUST saw those after I posted.

I picked up some discount coupons for $15 or $10 off depending on what day you go before the 8th of June. If anyone is interested I can send one by mail for free if you plan on coming down.

^OMG I really wish I had seen that earlier! We are leaving for Myrtle Beach on Monday, and going to the park on Saturday!

Is next week going to be Spring Break for you all?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a dedicated Roller Coaster FANATIC for the past 4 years and (living only 1 hr. away) Carowinds is my home park. I personally think that a B&M Hyper would be the smartest move for carowinds to make in 2009. I think a good sized one could fit very well in the wooded area on the other side of the season pass holders parking lot.... If they own that lot, that is.

Also, the parking lot beside thunder road would be the perfect spot for a big coaster.....

maybe a B&M floorless(which would be my choice) or a launched coaster or something BIG!!

Another thing Carowinds needs more of is GOOD flat rides.... whenever they get rid of the Super Saturator, they should put a maXair style ride there. That would be a great spot for that.

Anyway, Carowinds, not being the BIGGEST and BADDEST park around that is, is still a very great park. The rides are good, like Afterburn(Top Gun) and NightHawk(BORG), and the cleanliness of the park out passes any other park I've ever been to. The employees treat you nicely and everything is great EXCEPT the lack of more rides.

AND WHAT IS THE POINT OF BONDI BEACH..... they already have a STINKING!!! wave pool! In my opinion that was not a smart move for 2008.... they should have spent that money on a new coaster or at least jumped in and gotten something else from Geuaga Lake beside the YOYO!!

I love Carowinds, but they need to pick up the pace on BIG PROJECTS because if they don't, they're gonna be left in the dust by the major parks of the country.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, the parking lot beside thunder road would be the perfect spot for a big coaster.....

maybe a B&M floorless(which would be my choice) or a launched coaster or something BIG!!

Carowinds is not owned by Six Flags and I don't think I have ever seen a parking lot coaster at a Cedar Fair park. I would rather them take the time to expand the park into the south parking lot, but take the time to tear out the pavement and make it look as nice as the rest of the park.

But there is a new hole in the second lift of Carolina Goldrusher, so maybe hopeful a new (not used) coaster will start out in that area for 2009. And I don't think it has to be a Intamin or B&M Hyper, but something different. Maybe something a little longer than the coasters we have though.

Carowinds is not owned by Six Flags and I don't think I have ever seen a parking lot coaster at a Cedar Fair park. I would rather them take the time to expand the park into the south parking lot, but take the time to tear out the pavement and make it look as nice as the rest of the park.

But there is a new hole in the second lift of Carolina Goldrusher, so maybe hopeful a new (not used) coaster will start out in that area for 2009. And I don't think it has to be a Intamin or B&M Hyper, but something different. Maybe something a little longer than the coasters we have though.

Have you seen dominator lately...it looks like a parking lot coaster to me...hopefully it wont end up being that!

• 2 weeks later...

Carowinds need love. When Paramount's owned it, it stunk. Now Cedar Fair owns it, it still stinks. They must get a new wooden roller coaster and tear down Hurler because it is horrible. The turns are okay but everything else stinks. After Burn, Nighthawk, Vortex and Taxi Jam needs paint jobs. Get some new flat rides like the bigger parks have like CW Slege Hammer or Psyclone or that stand up enterprise thingy. Maybe get a CP Sky Hawk or MaXair.

Also get a LIM/LSM launch coaster or somethnig big and fast. Also get a B&M hyper. Get a new water ride or re-do the Log Flume.

With the interview with CF CEO, they are not spending much money on things this year. For God's sake, they should of gotten a coaster from Geagua Lake like Villian, Head Spin, or Raging Wolf Bob's.

(The only thing CF spends money on is trash cans) (j/k).

Please do not be critical of me for being so mean to them but they need strong improvements. I like Carowinds but please help them CF.

sushirocks13 wrote:

...Amen!

hurler.jpg.13d9404458b365504dfecff8bf8e6274.jpg

:( HATE!

Zeppilin.thumb.jpg.50f7e05a765f23a97d55285161f41f0a.jpg

Get a loop this nice please.

Maybe get a CP Sky Hawk or MaXair.

Also get a LIM/LSM launch coaster or somethnig big and fast. Also get a B&M hyper. Get a new water ride or re-do the Log Flume.

For God's sake, they should of gotten a coaster from Geagua Lake like Villian, Head Spin, or Raging Wolf Bob's.

I think you have the perfect plan to make Carowinds instantly go bankrupt.

And Hurler really isn't that bad of a ride, it's better than a lot of other coasters in that park. It's rough, but it gives some good airtime and some intense moments. It isn't the best woodie I've ever been on, but it certainly isn't the worst.

^^ I don't think VORTEX needs any paint and it looks really good since CF took over, I mean the padding is no longer falling off and the ride as a whole just looks better and I like the red shoulder harnesses better than yellow. I think the only roller coaster that NEEDS paint is NightHawk. I wish they would make the YoYo look like it does in all the other photos i've of them. I'm talkin about the main tower, its kinda plain. And maybe play some music over there like at the Hurler, and I don't think any of the coasters there are in any danger of going anywhere anytime soon, unless the rumor about the Saturator comes true.