TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Parawinds no more! I'm so glad it's just Carowinds again!

I didnt' have anything against Paramount, just didn't like the name being tacked on.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/stories_view.php/1881/carowinds_cuts_prices_frenzoid_returns.html

I'm glad that at least Frenzoid won't be sitting in the bone yard forever.

Supposed to be going somewhere over near Top Gun.

That's great they lowered the admission price, but it still seems a little high when compared to other parks in the chain. Granted, it's a different and less competitive market than some of the others.

I read on wikipedia that the Paramount parks get to keep the rights to the movie themed rides for quite a few more years, but I've been hesitant to believe it as guaranteed fact. Since they didn't announce anything about renaming those rides, it makes me think this is indeed true.

Has anybody else heard something factual that I might have missed?

$45 for a one day admission to Carowinds? I dont think that is a very good price...I mean...BORG, Drop Zone and Top Gun are great....but Thunder Road, Vortex, and Hurler are good....but the rest are ok....its just....seems like too much for just one day...

I read on wikipedia that the Paramount parks get to keep the rights to the movie themed rides for quite a few more years, but I've been hesitant to believe it as guaranteed fact. Since they didn't announce anything about renaming those rides, it makes me think this is indeed true.

Has anybody else heard something factual that I might have missed?

Yes.

The Carowinds brochureindicates that at least the Nickelodeon area, Top Gun and Borg Assimilator will be keeping their names in 2007.

I think the one time I had been to Carowinds, Frenzoid was closed. I am not a huge fan of the looping ship rides, but I say good for Carowinds to bring it back as I know there are people that like it. I am sure my fiancee and I will ride it once since she wanted to do Berzerker at Kings Dominion last july but we did not get around to it. I can't wait for March 31st (first planned trip of '07!) Top Gun is gonna be sweet!

The Frenzoid returns! It's not a bad ride, but it's not a great one either. And yes, it does hurt when it's holding you upside down with the blood rushing slowly to your head.

As for the admission price, it should be $39.99 IMO. $44.99 is too much for Carowinds.

This wasn't the news I was hoping for, but whatever. I'd be nice if they installed another coaster or a Huss Giant Frisbee at least.

I'm sure Cedar Fair sees the potential in Carowinds, and hopefully they'll give its patrons what they want, and some.

Does this mean that all former Paramount parks will be returning to their orginal names?

Yes

If they can return Frenziod, why can't CF return Musik Express to GL

BTW, I never liked the look of those ships BTW. I think an AREO 360 type ride would of looked better.

Does this mean that all former Paramount parks will be returning to their orginal names?

Yes all of the former Paramount parks will get their old names back. Cedar Fair has already posted the new logos on all of the old Paramount park sites.

Carowinds site hasn't changed.

• 1 year later...

Basically, this is just a thread to spread the love for Carowinds. I have been a resident of Charlotte NC all of my 22 years, living just 10 minutes from the park. I have seen it go through many of its changes (although not ALL of them) and am very pleased that it is still around.

I guess I will pose a question to get this thread started. My brother is a lifeguard at Carowinds and he has said that CF plans to add some sort of steel coaster for 2009. I have searched the net and found nothing yet what worries me is that Carowinds is running out of space. Really, the only thing I can think of is taking some of the parking lot on the other side of Thunder Road, yet I dont want somehting thrown out there with no landscaping like Scream! Other than that, I can only imagine they would remove a coaster, something that Carowinds hasn't dont since White Lightnin' and something I hope never happens. MOST of our coasters have a uniqueness to them and if it were my decision I would keep them all.

Honestly, maybe the next coaster will be some sory of powered launch coaster. They are compact and adds to the count. Yet with Hard Rock Park opening less than 4 hours away, Carowinds Is going to have some keeping up to do.

Edited by larrygator

I live 15 minutes from the park now. Haven't been to the park in 2 years and I've lived within 80 miles of the park for all my life.

It's a boring park. It doesn't cater to enthusiasts, as it shouldn't. It's the only major theme park in the area. HRP, SFOG, KD, Dollywood, and BGE are all at least 3 hours away. So obviously, there isn't much competition in the area.

Once you do Top Gun, Thunder Road, Drop Zone, and Borg (In that order), there isn't much of a reason to be there. I'd buy a season pass if they would just build a steel hyper with some airtime. Carowinds lacks airtime BIGTIME.

We've heard rumors of a hyper for years. And that's all they've been is rumors. It's possible for 2009, but I only say that because it'll be 5 years since they've had a major attraction, and it seems to be in 5 year increments that Carowinds gets a major attraction since 1994.

Hurler (1994)

Top Gun (1999)

Borg (2004)

????? (2009)

I can relate that Carowinds isn't the most exciting park but I think you just have to appreciate it for what it is worth. Yes, I do believe it has become increasingly more child-oriented and that probably wont stop. But I think that because of the relatively small size carowinds is restricted to, we are lucky to have as many coasters in as many styles as we do.

Adding a Hyper would be great and would probably fit well near the Hurler. If it were up to me I would get rid of the Sky Flyer just to make room for a huge coaster......Vortex is dated and for a stand-up coaster the ride is short, rough and overall, not my favorite ride, maybe they sell that off.

Once you do Top Gun, Thunder Road, Drop Zone, and Borg (In that order), there isn't much of a reason to be there. I'd buy a season pass if they would just build a steel hyper with some airtime. Carowinds lacks airtime BIGTIME.

We've heard rumors of a hyper for years. And that's all they've been is rumors. It's possible for 2009, but I only say that because it'll be 5 years since they've had a major attraction, and it seems to be in 5 year increments that Carowinds gets a major attraction since 1994.

And it seems CF is going to give some of the ex-Paramount parks hypers, with Behemoth and the rumored KI hyper next year. Not just Carowinds, but all ex-Paramount parks could use some airtime. Badly.

^And it better be a NEW coaster at that. I know Nighthawk is unique in a way but the coaster is really 8 years old, making 2003's Runaway Reptar Ride the newest coaster in the park.

I think that giving Dominator to Carowinds wouldn't have been a bad choice but KD already had the space after removing Hypersonic. Luckily, most of Geuaga Lakes coasters are now relocated or defunct so hopefully CF will feel motivated to give us a new one.

I've really appreciated living about 20 minutes of Carowinds. I've had a season pass almost every single year of my life. It's a good park, but it does need something new in the way of a coaster. I can't really see a hyper here though as it would stick out too much from the rest of the skyline. I can mostly see an Intamin rocket much like Rita. Really we also need more flats.

^And it better be a NEW coaster at that. I know Nighthawk is unique in a way but the coaster is really 8 years old, making 2003's Runaway Reptar Ride the newest coaster in the park.

I think that giving Dominator to Carowinds wouldn't have been a bad choice but KD already had the space after removing Hypersonic. Luckily, most of Geuaga Lakes coasters are now relocated or defunct so hopefully CF will feel motivated to give us a new one.

Hypersonic is in the back of the park, and Dominator is being built in the front of the park.

I don't see why it would be bad to add a hyper to the skyline at carowinds. Last weekend I was in Atlanta and Goliath does stick out more than anything else in the park, but it didn't look bad. It would be awesome to drive down I-77 South and see a hyper coaster in the skyline with Top Gun, Drop Zone and BORG.

I'm going to Carowinds in 3 weeks for the first time. I've heard some bad things about the park, but I'm still really excited!

From pictures, its seems to have a lot of charm, and though nothing is huge, it looks like there is plenty to do. Is Hurler anything like Thunder Run at SFKK? If so, than how does it not have airtime?

D"KI really does deserve a hyper!"Bru

Your park is not at all booring. Your park stole our Stealth from CGA which was the BEST at our park but no longer have. I still can't believe we lost Stealth. CGA is more booring than Carowinds especially since it has one of our coasters which they never should have taken out! I sure miss it. I don't think I'll be getting over to Carowinds anytime soon.

Is Hurler anything like Thunder Run at SFKK?

I thought Hurler was alot like Thunder Run and so did my brother. I did not get much air time with the set belt on.

Here are some pictures I took during Sarowinds before it got dark.

This picture was taken during the day.