TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Both Hurlers was neutered in 2010 (Intimidators added) except for a brief period when the trims were turned off in Carolina after retracking. Before that it was a good but not great, and frequently rough coaster. It did look great in 2019, with lots of new wood and nice trains, but they've got to let it fly free and pay the cost -- at least they don't have other woodies to maintain. It could still be reprofiled to be a lot better.

I keep seeing a rumor that the whole crossroads section is going to get gutted and rethemed. A bunch of new rides  including a disco, NebulaZ and chance freestyle. New quick food options, a new bar and moving afterburns entrance into this area. I have heard it from a few outlets but I am sourcing a park fans image since it looks very legit

image.thumb.png.993ad02dbf7e30113792f3150d040765.pngimage.thumb.png.fd743d72231b5c49476f09569c060d85.png

• Like 1

One of the rides are already on site a chance wipeout) and the area should have a flight theme.  I love how they are actually emphasizing the theme aspect of the areas vs just throwing in rides.  Guess it's easy to theme a park with such rich history.  The park said, long ago, that the people have spoken and the people want more flats and that is what they seem to be installing now.  It went from a handful to this.  I am impressed.

• Like 3

Speaking of the park’s flat rides, I was at the park today for my first time (far exceeded my expectations and the crowds were pretty low even with a bunch of school groups) and noticed that the park runs their Zephyr (Wave Swinger) and Windseeker much slower than other parks.  Wind seeker was down when I first arrived but started running around 2:30 and it didn’t even look like the cars were swinging out to an angle like the others I have been on.  Is this some sort of rule in the Carolinas?  Just found it odd.

Other observations:  Fury 325 is every bit as good as everyone says.  Truly a “world class” coaster.  Intimidator was also amazing.  Not sure why it doesn’t get as much love as other B&M hypers.  I loved the second drop that sort of twists on the way down and the floater airtime was great.  Hurler was garbage.  Sorry to be so blunt there, but wow, there was nothing redeeming about this ride at all.  I’d say the same about Vortex.  It seems to take 3-4 minutes to adjust each train, so stacking happens every time.  The ride is also just not much fun.  Nighthawk was down as the train seemed to be in pieces Fury.  And I am so glad I wandered through Camp Snoopy as I totally forgot they had the old Mack Sea Storm from Canada’s Wonderland. Such a fun ride that I wish more parks had.  Oh yeah, Copperhead Strike was awesome too.  The pre launch “barn” reminded me of Mystic Timbers shed, and I loved the chickens!  😂  

Overall the park was very nicely maintained, the employees were having fun with April Fools Day, and there is a nice collection of rides and attractions.  I honestly can’t wait to go back again!  

• Like 4

^ The kids at the park seemed to really enjoy Peanuts Pirates.  There was a young girl with her mom that was laughing and smiling the whole time.  That’s what amusement parks are all about!  

I remember Darien Lake had a Sea Storm that was replaced with the S&S tower, Marineland had (has?) one but I don’t think the cars rotate, and BGW had the best one I had ever ridden with a fancy fountain in the center and a program that ended with all the cars pointed towards the fountain resulting in spinning sideways.  I can’t handle a lot of spinning rides anymore, but this one I can ride all day!

And finally, I think Europa Park has one that you rotate yourself.  Now that is an awesome concept!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:46 PM, BitterOldHag said:

Speaking of the park’s flat rides, I was at the park today for my first time (far exceeded my expectations and the crowds were pretty low even with a bunch of school groups) and noticed that the park runs their Zephyr (Wave Swinger) and Windseeker much slower than other parks.  Wind seeker was down when I first arrived but started running around 2:30 and it didn’t even look like the cars were swinging out to an angle like the others I have been on.  Is this some sort of rule in the Carolinas?  Just found it odd.

This has been a thorn in my flesh since year 2 of them being installed in 2016. lol Zephyr's programming is so horrible. Its the shortest ride I have ever been on, on a wave swinger. Is def slower than the other and it literally struggles it just shoots straight up trying to gain speed while in the teeter totter position. As soon as it gets going it comes back down.  Flat rise cycles at Carowinds have always been the downside. I know its for capacity and all but can we enjoy the ride we stood in line for. Electro Spin has been NEURTERED is very slow compared to Samurai at Lagoon and Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland. Knott's programming is tired  so I didn't ride it when I visited. END OF RANT lol

• Like 1

Are there any good hotels an easy walk away from Carowinds?
Because I'm planning on flying in, then getting an uber to a hotel and then going to Carowinds from there

Springhill is closest and the official hotel.  Comfort Inn at the park is also an easy walk.  All others are across a fairly busy 5+ lane road.  Springhill is newer and nicer, but the Comfort Inn has always been fine for us.  Comfort Inn is directly next to a gas station and Wendys that can be helpful at night after the park closes, too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sauce said:

Are there any good hotels an easy walk away from Carowinds?
Because I'm planning on flying in, then getting an uber to a hotel and then going to Carowinds from there

Yes, both the Springhill Suites on site and the Comfort Inn across the road from the parking lot are good, affordable, and within walking distance to the front gate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Looking to get the locals advice for some good eats both inside the park and outside around Charlotte. Would like to know at least one BBQ place too that has amazing food. I'll be visiting this park at the end of the month from CA for the first time and have about 3 days to spare. I already decided I am going to get Fastlane because I want to make sure I get the chance to do everything I want to do and will be there on a weekend, so it just makes sense to me to spend the extra money. If there are any other suggestions that might be worth mentioning, I'm all ears. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 9:06 AM, thrillseeker4552 said:

My dream is for the park to RMC Hurler (ideally not a carbon copy of Twisted Timbers), then add a sweet new GCI somewhere in the park. Oh, and scrap Vortex. One can dream.

My thoughts exactly, except for I'd rather see Nighthawk gone over Vortex. 

3 hours ago, Vonni said:

My thoughts exactly, except for I'd rather see Nighthawk gone over Vortex. 

I love Nighthawk. The sensation of laying on your back while going through a vertical loop is incredible 

Hey all,

I’m flying from Orlando to Charlotte with my partner to visit Carowinds on Sunday 5/22. Given that Nighthawk is still down, do you think Fastlane is still a good idea to ensure plenty of rerides? Any idea if the price is higher day of or at the park? Thanks!