TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I agree about the lineup "plunging off a cliff" after the top 4. Copperhead Strike was a wonderful addition since it somewhat filled the "middle ground" gap but, yeah, still very unequal.

Honestly, their lineup would drastically improve if they *removed* both Nighthawk and Vortex, then maybe RMC Hurler and add a GCI at some point. But now I'm dreaming. Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the report! I'm planning a trip up there in a few weeks with my kids, one who is over 54" and one just over 50". I'll probably get FastLane for myself and my oldest to do Fury/Copperhead/Afterburn as many times as we want, then hopefully lines the rest of the lineup for the little one aren't that bad. Can't imagine the lines for the Boomerang or the mine train get that long even on a crowded day.

The mine train is popular and low capacity enough I'm sure it can get a wait. Don't skip it though, I find it only halfway down that cliff -- while not on the scale of the top 4 it's a good ride on its own terms. It's also right in the middle of the park, essential to get the lay of the land and implying a certain history. It would be in the way of new additions except everything else is already around it. When they're ready for a new coaster they'll probably remove Nighthawk and Vortex next door. (I'd love Nighthawk if it went straight into a brake run after swooping over the water but the rest is trash, or makes me feel like I am. Could be great for a laugh with friends.)

11 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Ouch :(

Just glad I found out around 6 and just spent the next hour and half lapping it with FL until they closed it. Thankfully, they left FL open til about 730. 

After closing the normal line at 630 they had to keep reopening and closing the line for 5 or 10 a few times to keep it running until 730. 

1 hour ago, tndank said:

Just glad I found out around 6 and just spent the next hour and half lapping it with FL until they closed it. Thankfully, they left FL open til about 730. 

After closing the normal line at 630 they had to keep reopening and closing the line for 5 or 10 a few times to keep it running until 730. 

Oh good. 

Reminds me of my visit to KI, hopped on line for Beast and it closed down for the fireworks show, which sure I get it, but it stayed for a loooooong time. Well past the end of show. Not sure if common or not, but yeah..finally opened it back up and told us who were on line "this is it" so we got 1 ride and that was it. These things happen but still is a bummer! But yeah nice, that's a helluva marathon for Fury (cool face)

3 hours ago, KIEnthusiast said:

yes

King’s Island

daily fireworks since

1972!!!!!!!

Sounds expensive for the park (and chain). Is the show any good? Nostalgic (aka an old tradition) does not mean good or worth it. 

3 hours ago, dabrian said:

If CF completely stopped fireworks outside of July 4th would anybody care?  

Not me. I wouldn't care.

The first time I saw the fireworks at KI it was on (I think) a Tuesday night in August 2011, and my friends and I were all like "That's it? Maybe just save the money and do good shows Friday-Sunday."

Closing rides for fireworks is understandable, but when you've been closing your lines at closing for years/decades and you suddenly start closing them early, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

41 minutes ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

The first time I saw the fireworks at KI it was on (I think) a Tuesday night in August 2011, and my friends and I were all like "That's it? Maybe just save the money and do good shows Friday-Sunday."

Closing rides for fireworks is understandable, but when you've been closing your lines at closing for years/decades and you suddenly start closing them early, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Fireworks and

early closings

since

1 hour ago, KIEnthusiast said:

Fireworks and

early closings

since

I've been to KI when they had 10PM fireworks like 6 times and they never closed the lines early. I always timed my rides on other coasters so I could get in line for The Beast at like 9:50. The ride is usually already shut down for the show, but they allowed people to get in line right up until 10. About 15-20 minutes after the show ends they would usually get the all clear to re-open and they would cycle everyone in line through for the last ride of the night.

Actually one of those nights they actually got a call that they could NOT reopen for some reason and instead they told us the park had kept Diamondback running so we could get one last ride on it.

• Like 2

Quick trip report from yesterday, 5/31/21, Memorial Day.  Took a chance on the crowds since they are still doing reservations and it was great.  Crowds were moderate at most and we got plenty of rides on the big 4 except Intimidator as it was down in the middle part of the day.  For the most part the crews were moving the lines along pretty well.  We got back to back rides on Copperhead around 3:00 and only waited 5 minutes each time.  The one exception to this was the crew on Intimidator as they were really slow and couldn't have cared less.  Part of the problem was the crew and part was they would have to check and recheck seats on every single train multiple times.  I started timing dispatch times at one point and they were averaging between 4 and 5 minutes between trains.  

Other than that it was a great day and felt so good to finally get back to the park and ride some coasters.  Fury was great as always and by the afternoon it was hauling as the temps warmed up.  Copperhead continues to grow on me and that's saying something because I've loved it from the beginning.  Got 2 back row rides yesterday and the airtime back there is just fantastic!  Such a fun coaster!

Headed to BGW this coming weekend and I guess we will miss Pantheon.  Major bummer.  I actually dreamed last night they were doing a soft opening and we got to get on ha!  Maybe that will come true but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, coasternut79 said:

The one exception to this was the crew on Intimidator as they were really slow and couldn't have cared less.  Part of the problem was the crew and part was they would have to check and recheck seats on every single train multiple times.  I started timing dispatch times at one point and they were averaging between 4 and 5 minutes between trains.  

Just curious, but what was causing them to have to check and rec-check seats?

1 hour ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

Just curious, but what was causing them to have to check and rec-check seats?

After the train was loaded and they made it through their initial check to make sure everyone was locked in, inevitably the guy in the booth would call out check 53, check 42 or some other number corresponding to the car and seat number and they would have to go and recheck it.  A lot of the time they would have to unlock the restraint and  have the ride op secure them again.  I don't know if it was just a bad sensor(s) or what but they were running all 3 trains and it seemed to be happening on every one.  

In addition to all of this the crew were moving at a snails pace.  They were just going through the motions and like I said the trains were sitting in the station 4 and 5 minutes almost every time.  When we finally got to ride we sat out on the brakes for an eternity before finally getting back into the station. 

Happy to announce that I made a reservation for July 18 and will be returning for a long overdue trip back to this park. I haven't been since 2007 so I'm obviously stoked for all the new editions, especially Flying Cobras.

Also looking forward to a visit to Myrtle Beach the day before to ride Swamp Fox and do a mini whore tour.

• Like 1