TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

• 2 weeks later...

I might be wrong about this but I was under the impression that Cedar Fair corporate leaves ride repainting decisions to the park level and are paid for by the parks budget. If that is accurate Carowinds likely placed a higher priority on the rides paint job then the other parks. Kings Island has been spending discretionary money on Restroom renovations for instance.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but don't red, orange, and yellow seem significantly shorter than blue, teal, and green? Seems like the warm color slides will always have an "advantage" over the cool colors when it comes to finishing first. (You know, if anyone actually cares about that.)

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but don't red, orange, and yellow seem significantly shorter than blue, teal, and green? Seems like the warm color slides will always have an "advantage" over the cool colors when it comes to finishing first. (You know, if anyone actually cares about that.)

Not necessarily. They may have accounted for the difference by making that side's helix slightly larger.

Similar to how they account for each individual slide by ensuring that the slide that starts the helix on the outside ends on the inside, and vice versa. Does that make sense? Not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining that.

Edit: Whitecap Racer at Hershey Park seems to have a similar layout. Curious if anyone who has ridden it can verify if one side has an advantage.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.0d873173779cc279217f6fe613a0aed6.jpg

2021 announcement just made on Facebook...Carolina Cyclone is getting Vortex's trains.

Whoo...never mind.

At first I was thinking of the stand up Vortex trains and I really had to think for a second

Didn't even think of Cyclone's shitty neighbor when I posted, lol. I'd be okay with a floorless conversion for Vortex. I'd be much more okay with tearing Vortex down and putting in an RMC Raptor clone. A man can dream, right?

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been posted already somewhere else, but I didn't see it in this thread going back to January. In July I was at Kings Island and noticed some interesting stuff on this sign in the Mystic Timbers station.

20200711_121206.thumb.jpg.03c2bdc5cb5cb02eeb02b30073673011.jpg

Specifically the paragraph which reads in the middle "New for this year, we are excited to extend our helping hand to our friends in the Carolinas!" Could just be Cedar Fair having a little fun, but if I remember correctly these signs have had clues in the past, specifically thinking about references to "Steel" and "Vengeance" leading up to the announcement in 2017. I know plans could have changed especially since Carowinds didn't open this year, but maybe this is hinting at a Hurler renovation, originally planned for 2021 but pushed back a year or two?

Side note: Just wanted to point out that it's really nice how much easier it is to post a photo now!

Are they really? I've ridden Mystic Timbers probably 40 times over the past 3 1/2 years and I usually look at the signs while I'm waiting for the ops to check restraints. I swear they were a little different this year... Oh well, sorry about that. Didn't mean to mislead.

Edit: Searching the internet a bit more, I think I was thinking of the "shoot a staple wherever you'd drive a nail" sign with the saw blade next to it. I was thinking there was the nailgun sign and a saw blade sign, but I'm sure you're right. Apparently I'm not as observant as I had thought. 😄

On 6/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, jarmor said:

Well, the parks is already open about 10 months out of the year so they are pretty much at year round operations. I wonder how that would effect new rides debuting?

I would imagine like any other year around park would do it. It's not like the park has never been open during constructions. Chickies and Petes was in the middle of construction when the park reopened in 2015, 2016 County Fair was still getting rides put together from opening weekend all the way through early June, Copperhead started construction in summer 2018 went vertical during Winterfest  in November. We the local people are use to by now . It honestly to me is good marketing to let people see in person stuff being built, gives them add reason to really come back now that they've seen said new attraction in progress with their on eyes on site