TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I had a business trip in Charlotte last week and with the weather being great, I got to sneak off for a few hours at Carowinds. This was my first ever visit to the city and park. Amazing town.

Fury had been taunting me during the duration of the trip, as my conference was only a couple miles away from the park, and it was visible to me the whole time.

When I got to the park, I only had a couple hours so I grabbed a Fast Pass Plus. Didn't even grab a map or anything....just made a beeline for where I thought Fury was. Given that it's the size of a skyscraper, it wasn't hard to find.

The park was really crowded on the Saturday night that I went, but thanks to the Fast Pass I just had brief station waits all night (even on Copperhead Strike!). As I sat in the train for Fury, my heart was pounding. Several years ago I was scared of roller coasters. I'm terrified of heights, you see. Ever since getting over that fear and learning to love the rides, height never really bothered me much. 325 feet is different though, and I was terrified. Up the hill I went. As it crested, I could see the curvature of the horizon and the planes landing at Charlotte airport seemed to be at eye level.

It's hard to describe what happened next. Fury 325 is just a fucking amazing piece of roller coaster design. Break neck speed (but VERY smooth!), amazing overbanks, the underground tunnel buzz, and finally those awesome airtime hills. Astounding ride. I rode it two more times, once in the rear, once in the middle (first ride was up front). I actually liked it best in the front. My coaster count isn't what some of you guys are as I'm newer to this, but Fury is EASILY my #1, supplanting Mako.

I next made my way to Hurler. Uh, yeah. One ride was more than enough. My home park is Six Flags St. Louis, so it's not the roughest woodie I've ever ridden (hello Boss, you nasty rough bastard), but it was still super rough in the corners and I knocked my knees pretty good. I'll take the credit, but it made me sore enough where I kinda was hoping I just had passed.

Next major coaster on deck was Copperhead Strike. I loved pretty much everything about this. Smooth as glass, super fun inverts and all sorts of interesting elements. Love this coaster! Great theming throughout as well. A real winner.

My next major coaster in the park was Afterburn. Solid invert. Nothing really to say other than I really enjoyed it.

Final highlight for me was Intimidator. This is a badass coaster! It felt like I was out of my seat the entire time. Just an airtime machine. Super fun coaster.

Then yeah I did some of the other rides, but those were the major ones worth talking about. Carowinds is a really cool park. Wish I had more time to spend, but I made the absolute most of the time spent.

Three of the coasters in the park are world class. Copperhead Strike, Intimidator and Fury. Fury isn't just world class, it's top of the class. Seriously, what a freaking ride that beast is. I have never so thoroughly enjoyed a ride as that one. It's almost the perfect coaster to me.

I liked your description of my favorite roller coaster. It's a beast. Intense, smooth, and it's a beautiful structure to look at.

It really is a specimen. It's a masterpiece of design, both architecturally and as a coaster. The problem with riding it first (and again, and again) was that as great as the others coasters I rode were....they just aren't Fury 325. You know what? That's fine. Sometimes the best song on a record comes first. The others are no slouches though. Intimidator or Copperhead would easily be headliners at many parks. It just so happens that Carowinds has a bunch of headliners.

If any of you have wondered about visiting Charlotte to ride that coaster, do it. Fury is amazing (and you get a cadre of other cool coasters with it).

coaster.thumb.jpg.d81852e9d0692a9495b9358081a0e010.jpg

This smile don't lie! That was after my first ride. What a rush.

Glad you loved Fury! I agree Intimidator is a fine coaster, but after 1-2 rides I feel like I'm missing out if I ride it again over Fury.

Haha, funny you say that. That's kind of what I felt. Fury is like a bigger, badder, more intense Intimidator. I think I'd actually slot Copperhead above it because at least that is quite unique. Again though, I'd kill for my local park to have a quarter of one of those bad boys (SFSL, ha!).

Three of the coasters in the park are world class. Copperhead Strike, Intimidator and Fury. Fury isn't just world class, it's top of the class. Seriously, what a freaking ride that beast is. I have never so thoroughly enjoyed a ride as that one. It's almost the perfect coaster to me.

Glad you had fun! I moved from St. Louis to Charlotte last year. I feel Carowinds is a much better park than SFSL.

I will say that many, many people will add Afterburn to that world-class status. It's considered one of the best invert coasters.

I feel Carowinds is a much better park than SFSL.

Captain Obvious. haha

Good on you for getting out of this... place... We really enjoy Charlotte and it seems like there is so much less of a cultural/racial divide. It's a very comfortable place to be compared to St. Louis.

I have a unique story about my first ride on Fury as well...But have to set the table before serving the meal, and why it was just, soo funny. My youngest son, after riding Cyclone a few years back (2012?) was feeling extra brave when we headed down to SFGAd while we were visiting New York. Before we got in line for El Toro, I told him- "Look-this thing is on another level. No big deal if you sit this one out..."

"I got this", he said.

The screams could be heard in Philadelphia, and he never got on anything over 80 feet (Except for Beast) since then.

We arrived about a week early for Coastermania, and he got more and more accustomed to the thrill that myself and his older brother are so addicted to. We went down to KI for the less intense variety and he dubbed it "the no-fly zone". As in,this place has zero airtime. We laughed it off and returned to Cedar Point. Stopped by the Dayton Air Museum and it was so worth it.

He rode just about everything when we got back...TTD, Millie, and SV are still on his list but we made serious progress. So after Coastermania we beelined to Holiwood Nights' 2nd day. So we get there and its not near as busy as I thought it would be. We get lots of laps on everything except Legend, which we all thought was unrideable. They just retracked it, or so I heard. Beyond rough.

So the big dinner goes on and they keep us hostage as the regular crowd gets the boot. No biggie, we head straight for Voyage as soon as they let us go we're set for coaster Nirvana. Except...they waited for about 45 minutes longer than posted. We race to Voyage, the first train is loaded, we're next to go. Asked the guy if the brakes were off and he said "yeah!"

So we're waiting. And waiting. Finally they said there's lightning in the vicinity. Checked my phone and its 25 miles away. Great, not a short wait.

So we wait some more...its cost us a small fortune to be here at this exact moment. (Wish I had a cheaper hobby)

Check my phone and its tracking NE of where we were. Tell the station guy its heading towards Cincinnati. Word from above is that we wait. I'm starting to get pi#@ed, and we break out of line to find someplace to sit it out. No place to sit indoors. The Gobbler thing is making folks wait outside for an indoor ride.

I finally had enough and told the boys we're leaving. We walk up to the front gate...How long until the shuttle for the Campground?

Uhhhhmmm....11 o'clock. It was 9:30 at this point. We had waited 3 1/2 hours to not do anything and was looking at a 3 mile walk because weather had not entered the big event equation. We did the campground on purpose because they said shuttles were available.

We start walking off, determined to never come back and we come upon a Lake Rudolph employee doing something in one of the common buildings. We explain what happened and begged her for a ride. Thankfully she obliged...10 minute golf car ride from that point, that's how far it was.

So we get to our state of the art 1979 rented Camper, and I need some beer to just deal with the situation. We get in our car and head towards civilization. Can't get cold beer on a Saturday night. I buy hot beer, ice, and salt, and get a cooler from the store next door and we head back.

We make our instant cold beer machine and start discussing our options. We had paid handsomely to be there and the next day, headed to Dollywood Monday morning. At this point the beer was cold and I started pounding as if they weren't gonna make any more.

We had the most fun doing what enthusiasts do...complain...but it was more than that. It got hysterically funny most of the night. I looked up how far Carowinds was and brought it up that it wasn't that much further to just go ride a big boy ride. We had Platinum Passes, all we had to do was drive and convince our newly minted Coaster Warrior that it would be worth it.

He said let's do it without hesitation- and so we went the next morning early. Too early, if I remember right. We got there around 9 pm. Too late to do any real damage, so we got some sleep and planned our attack. Be there when it opens and work our way clockwise. Intimidator, Afterburn, the gnarly woodie and the stand up. Fury time at last...

Station wait plus a little. I was more nervous about my son losing his mind being up so high as we waited or turn. We get on, the lift goes really quick so that before you know it, its time to let gravity do its thing...

Good god...the thing is an engineering masterpiece. Our new Coaster Warrior is now immune to heights, inversions, and speed because he friggin' loved the thing. All of us did. It may seem crazy, but the side air just works better when its at a right angle to the ground.

IMG_0237.thumb.JPG.9ed6cda5eff9802be5aa6a727448c537.JPG

The crew

IMG_0241.thumb.JPG.786c88f6fef5568e1e59ac2849c89589.JPG

Plane lower than lift hill!

Quick question about Cedar Fair platinum passes - I'm headed to Carowinds this week and I see there is an option to get an all season drink cup added to your platinum pass which I'm interested in doing. My question is does the drink pass work at all other Cedar Fair parks too? I'm curious since we are headed to Cedar Point in June and KD in August.

Quick question about Cedar Fair platinum passes - I'm headed to Carowinds this week and I see there is an option to get an all season drink cup added to your platinum pass which I'm interested in doing. My question is does the drink pass work at all other Cedar Fair parks too? I'm curious since we are headed to Cedar Point in June and KD in August.

If you have a meal plan / drink cup added on to a Platinum Pass, it works at all parks. The benefits are tied to the pass, so if your pass works elsewhere, so will your benefits. In 2017 my family did a Carowinds - Kings Dominion - Kings Island - Cedar Point trip (with our home park and Platinum Passes from Knott's) and our meal plans and drink cups worked at all parks no problem.

I suppose it's possible things have changed in the last two years, but I am certain the option exists!

Im stoked to finally get on Fury, and visit this park! Its another park I never bothered with, but like many others I feel like its lineup has really become solid. Im excited to visit.

Some quick questions:

Im not expecting crowds to be bad on a weekday in early June. Specifically a Thursday. Is this fair?

Is there a way to get from Charlotte airport to the park without a rental car? I got time to kill, got a good 3 hours between flight landing and park open.

When I went to the park in 2016, I took an Uber. I think it was about $25-30.

You may need them to drop you off at a nearby gas station, hotel, or Wendy's. Carowinds hasn't been opening the parking lot until 10 minutes prior to opening. If you are dropped off, you can walk to the entrance and be one of the first there.

I've only visited on weekends so I can't speak to weekday crowds. I will say the FastLane line brings you right into the station for all major coasters. Since they assign seats (they seem to take requests if you ask nice), you walk right on.

If you have a meal plan / drink cup added on to a Platinum Pass, it works at all parks. The benefits are tied to the pass, so if your pass works elsewhere, so will your benefits. In 2017 my family did a Carowinds - Kings Dominion - Kings Island - Cedar Point trip (with our home park and Platinum Passes from Knott's) and our meal plans and drink cups worked at all parks no problem.

I suppose it's possible things have changed in the last two years, but I am certain the option exists!

To add to this:

You have two options: the plastic souvenir sipper cup or a paper cup every time you get a drink. We opted for the paper cup. You might get less drink per visit, but you don't have to walk around with the plastic cup, which can't be stored at Fury or CS. You also have to remember to bring it every time you visit, and clean it between visits. Too much work when I know I can walk up and get a cup without any worries.

To add to this:

You have two options: the plastic souvenir sipper cup or a paper cup every time you get a drink. We opted for the paper cup. You might get less drink per visit, but you don't have to walk around with the plastic cup, which can't be stored at Fury or CS. You also have to remember to bring it every time you visit, and clean it between visits. Too much work when I know I can walk up and get a cup without any worries.

Great - I definitely am going to do the drink option - and get the paper cup - I don't want to try and deal with hiding my cups in a bush or try to travel with them - paper cups are the way to go.

Thanks for the responses!

That was a fantastic story about finally getting on Fury. That coaster is going to haunt me now. Luckily, work will take me to Charlotte at least once per year, most likely every April. That means I'll be able to indulge on the reg from time to time.

And re: the earlier post about Afterburn being world class- yeah I think I agree with that. It was a fantastic ride that was unfortunately wedged between going on the "big 3" at the park. In many other parks that would be a headlining attraction.

I feel Carowinds is a much better park than SFSL.

Captain Obvious. haha

Good on you for getting out of this... place... We really enjoy Charlotte and it seems like there is so much less of a cultural/racial divide. It's a very comfortable place to be compared to St. Louis.

My wife and I stayed downtown in Charlotte for the weekend and given that we've both wanted out of St. Louis for some time now, we really were thinking hard to moving to Charlotte. Such an amazing city. We both have fantastic jobs here though, which is sort of a boat anchor. Ugh.

Copperhead Strike is an excellent addition to the park! Love the hangtime in the inversions along with some great ejector moments especially towards the front of the train. Definitely my favorite of the three Mack launchers I've been on. The theming is top notch! Didnt they incorporate some of the que theming from a Scarowinds haunt? I might even like CHS better than Maverick (I know that's strong words).

On a side note I love the new restraunt especially the rotisserie chicken with the "Copperhead Strike "hot" sauce" (it's not that hot just tasty). I also enjoy the Copperhead Strike IPA made especially by a local brewery (Sycamore) for the park.

Unfortunately the gliders have been slowed considerably since the rehab. I'm glad to see them back however and providing thrills to many families in this great rethemed section of the park!

On a side note I love the new restraunt especially the rotisserie chicken with the "Copperhead Strike "hot" sauce" (it's not that hot just tasty). I also enjoy the Copperhead Strike IPA made especially by a local brewery (Sycamore) for the park.

The hot sauce is good. I had heard they were bottling and selling it, but have yet to see it in any of the stores in the park.

Copperhead Strike is an excellent addition to the park! Love the hangtime in the inversions along with some great ejector moments especially towards the front of the train. Definitely my favorite of the three Mack launchers I've been on. The theming is top notch! Didnt they incorporate some of the que theming from a Scarowinds haunt? I might even like CHS better than Maverick (I know that's strong words).

Unfortunately the gliders have been slowed considerably since the rehab. I'm glad to see them back however and providing thrills to many families in this great rethemed section of the park!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the flyers weren't as fast as they used to. I still was able to snap them (and the employees didn't care), but it wasn't nearly as wild as my ride in 2016 when I caused a bunch of parents to back out of line.

So Rapids is closed... are we getting a one-two punch from this place? A la Valravn and Steve? Cedar fair knows wooden coasters belong with trees. I think we are seeing early stages of a ground-up RMC. Why not GCI? I think that's obvious.