TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I think we're just spoiled as enthusiasts. This seems like a hit, and I've heard some describe it as "intense." It compliments their coasters nicely, and once Hurler gets the Twisted Timbers treatment (it's bound to happen eventually, right?), they'll have an even nicer collection on their hands.

All kinds of new wood on Hurler so not for a bit yet.

20190324_152029.thumb.jpg.f2a93885850aecc09c8a983f6c7dda04.jpg

Thunder road had an entire retracking just two years before it was demolished. I see no reason to assume they have long term plans to keep hurler as it sits.

On another note, rode copperhead twice today. Really loved the ride. Top 2 or 3 in the park IMO. Crazy airtime, fast twisties, lots of hang time moments, surprisingly nice theming... What more can you want?

Carowinds and mack did a great job on this one.

Hopefully the next addition will be a water ride.

Out of curiosity was Copperhead Strike assigned seating like Fury?

This weekend, I hit assigned seating on Fury, CS, and Afterburn (though the AB guy let us have front row). Didn't ride Intimidator, but I'd imagine it had it, too.

Personally I never compare coasters because to me that's kinda silly. Like, why not go in and appreciate it for what it is and not because its better than "X" coaster or worst?

I was telling my son the same thing this weekend. He rode Copperhead Strike as his first inversion coaster - and loved it. After I hit Fury a few hours later, he asked if it was better than CS. I told him that I couldn't compare the two, as they were built for different experiences. If I want a non-stop speedfest, I'll do Fury; if I want a ride with almost-falling-out inversions, I'll ride CS. And that doesn't include the other rides in the park.

Carowinds did well bringing in CS. It adds a new ride to the park and compliments the others here. I still don't walk in and have to decide between two rides with similar experiences - I can ride what suits my fancy for the time.

Although I'm losing weight, does anyone know if CS's seats are accomodating, or restrictive to people of a larger size?

They are accommodating. I'm not skinny, not "larger size" (but closer to the latter) and I felt swamped inside the seat.

To compare it to something sort of similar that I've been on- I liked copperhead more than maverick. But I'm going to be in the minority on that one for people who've tried both. Maverick is much more rowdy, it throws you side to side and is overall more rough and forceful. If that is your ideal ride, copperhead does't fit that bill.

Copperhead is a little softer. Airtime hits very hard on the hills, but the transitions are easy to take without having to brace for them. The launches are not very forceful, I do kind of wish they hit harder. The inversions offer a different experience than anything else for sure.

I would say it's more intense than cheetah hunt- for another comparison.

I overheard a lot of people at the park calling it "more like a nice family coaster". I could see the adventurous kids riding it just fine (just as they would on anything else they were tall enough for). But this isn't a ride my grandmother would enjoy. This isn't big thunder mountain. Also.... What's wrong with family coasters? Are those not allowed to be fun? I've found plenty of those to be great. Maybe I'm just not cool.

Just my 2 cents.

Copperhead is my number one attraction at Carowinds. Better than Maverick? Not sure. But God is it good. A full train and a hot track make some of the airtime moments RMC-like. Best vertical loops I've ever experienced. Best corkscrew ever too, it has so much whip to it. The curves are more fun than I anticipated. They aren't super G-force heavy, but their shape makes them a bit disorienting. My favorite part is the 2nd vertical loop-airtime hill- transition. This is what competes with Maverick. Definitely a top 10 ride. Congratulations Carowinds!

20190322_192510.thumb.jpg.aa4b89695781880cf7100bcad97d31ed.jpg

I'm considering going out to Carowinds this year. I think Copperhead strike really rounds out the lineup and makes the trip really worth it. I'm curious, though. Has anyone ridden CS and SWSD Manta that can compare the two? To be totally honest, I was expecting something more like Maverick when CS was announced, but to me it sounds more like Manta with inversions (not surprising since they're both Mack). I love both rides (I actually think Manta is severely underrated) but I'm wondering if anyone who has ridden both (or all three) can give a good comparison.

Am I the only one who would rather see a ground up RMC if they ever got one? lol

Twisted Timbers rocks but it would be nice to see something completely different.

No I’m with you. I would much rather see a ground up RMC for 2 reasons.

1. It adds a coaster without taking one away.

2. I actually like Carowinds’ Hurler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Also Carowinds wouldn't have any other thrilling wood coasters if Hurler was converted. Atm, of the two Cedar Fair parks that have received conversions, Kings Dominion still has Rebel Yell and Grizzly, & Cedar Point still has Blue Streak

^Also Carowinds wouldn't have any other thrilling wood coasters if Hurler was converted. Atm, of the two Cedar Fair parks that have received conversions, Kings Dominion still has Rebel Yell and Grizzly, & Cedar Point still has Blue Streak

Wait. Stop the presses. No other "thrilling" wood coasters? Have you forgotten about Woodstock Express (née Scooby Doo)?

Parks don’t care about this sh*t, only enthusiasts do.

Lmfao! Copperhead Strike has only been open a few days and people are already talking about a RMC coaster. Wow.

Meanwhile in the SFSTL thread: Enthusiasts are talking about the new painted rails and safety lines in Boss' station and how much of an improvement it is. Can we get one of these 'family coasters?'

Went to the park for the first time on Opening day and had a great time. Fury was mind-blowing and is definitely my favorite giga coaster. Copperhead was awesome and had great hang-time, airtime, and had some intensity. Very fun ride and a great fit for the park. Got two rides in with FL, both front row. Did see a few breakdowns and they did go down to one train at one point, so we weren't able to get a ton of rides. The normal line was enormous, at least 2-3 hours. Had a great time!

Wait. Stop the presses. No other "thrilling" wood coasters? Have you forgotten about Woodstock Express (née Scooby Doo)?

I would argue that Woodstock express is already the parks only thrilling wood coaster.

You would also win with that argument...lol

OptimalFriendlyGalapagosalbatross-size_restricted.gif

Parks don’t care about this sh*t, only enthusiasts do.

But if the steel to wood ratio is off the "GP" will stop going to Carowinds!

Is there a tactful way for a Carowinds employee to suggest that larger people use the test seat at Intimidator? There was a walk of shame on the train before us, our train, and the one leaving the station as we pulled in. In every case, the ride op spent way too much time trying to make the person fit, even coaching them on posture. Three fails in a row. I've seen more walks of shame on Intimidator in the last year and a half than all the other coasters I've ridden combined.

Some overheard quotes from Saturday:

"I ain't going on Fury 325. It goes upside down."

"I was on the first train this morning on Copperhead Strike, so technically I was on the first GP train ever."

(to cashier): "I know it's not my dining plan, my mom is letting me use hers."

"It's actually taller than 325 feet, that's just the height of the first drop."

"Fury is fun but that trim brake ruins it."

"You guys can ride Vortex without me. I might want to have children one day." I actually agree with this one.