TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Came to the park opening day.

Waited about 45 mins for the gates to open. I'm not great on trip reports

-Got right to Copperhead only waited about 25 mins - I give it a 8-10 Great addition to the park. The launch isn't forceful as I would of thought but the layout more than makes up for it. The theming is amazing.

-Afterburn - Still one of the best Inverted coasters

-FURY - Still running strong didn't notice any rattle but we were front row

-Intimidator was running good (It did stack a lot)

-Ricochet and Cyclone were running good for what they were.

-Hotel is coming along nicely

-SAD Rip Roarin Rapids is done

IMG_0125.thumb.JPG.7dccde9df853a4ba7479555ae4a2180c.JPG

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.6e08ee6bac1319d21422168629db061a.JPG

IMG_0134.thumb.JPG.14c033f5661e821f318edfcac6cad065.JPG

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.a41888d3b544d4b0469995b8e0658687.JPG

IMG_0137.thumb.JPG.a1a610b49723f956de2949ef289f1495.JPG

IMG_0140.thumb.JPG.83968cdcb646d6d9b823fc9f51bd54d2.JPG

IMG_0141.thumb.JPG.26dea8cb370aa5a4fcb1fe29e597202f.JPG

IMG_0143.thumb.JPG.150496453505a25a09facfbb501e08af.JPG

IMG_0144.thumb.JPG.4b458a3d06997c9b3434e26be47dee17.JPG

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.c8cbf4a17be85dd98364df05bc578c85.JPG

IMG_0147.thumb.JPG.d3bbc11a1d1c476daf280ad46c8d15ea.JPG

IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.fa6e00090daf058b1f47137e96698cb6.JPG

IMG_0148.thumb.JPG.ae3777204224ad0230d5671f89ed3057.JPG

The offerings we had at Blue Ridge Country Kitchen were delicious. For those who are interested in such things, here are a couple of pics:

20190323_131145.thumb.jpg.842af8420703d3f75ca17eff00c952a4.jpg

Rotisserie beef from Blue Ridge Country Kitchen with greens

20190323_131153.thumb.jpg.01b29bdc1272cdc562375f527edd67a7.jpg

Rotisserie chicken with mac n cheese

Yesterday I saw people asking for the front and they formed a line on what appears to be an emergency landing and stairway near the front row. At first I was wondering how people got up there then I saw they would pass each other and get to the back. While nothing is guaranteed as there is still a sign stating as such, it never hurts to ask.

On one hand I wouldn’t put too much stock into other people’s reviews but at the same time it’s a Mack with a top speed of 50 mph so it’s probably unreasonable to expect a relentless thrill machine. The term “family coaster” is ridiculous but like... were you expecting Maverick?

I'm actually really bummed from reading people's reviews. I didn't think this was supposed to be a family coaster...

Enthusiasts often have really poor definitions of a "family coaster." Yes, it's "family oriented" in that it's not an extreme OMFG I'm-about-to-die experience, and that children who've gotten over the fear of inverting may like it, but it's not a family coaster by any reasonable person's standards.

Honestly anything more intense than Sooper Dooper Looper can't be called a family coaster imo. From what I can tell based on reviews, it's still totally in the park's top 3 (depending on how much you like each of the B&Ms), and it's definitely a thrill ride.

On one hand I wouldn’t put too much stock into other people’s reviews but at the same time it’s a Mack with a top speed of 50 mph so it’s probably unreasonable to expect a relentless thrill machine. The term “family coaster” is ridiculous but like... were you expecting Maverick?

I was expecting something closer to Helix.

I'm actually really bummed from reading people's reviews. I didn't think this was supposed to be a family coaster...

This is not a "family coaster". Sometimes it kills me to consider myself an enthusiast because if any new coaster doesn't blow the previous ones out the water then, for some, it was a waste. The coaster is fun, exciting and thrilling. Personally I never compare coasters because to me that's kinda silly. Like, why not go in and appreciate it for what it is and not because its better than "X" coaster or worst? What makes me enjoy riding coasters is to ride them because I love coasters and not to be critical and feel as if the park has to cater to my needs. Copperhead Strike is a great fit and balances out the coaster collection at Carowinds.

God I need to get back out to Carowinds. Park is looking great with the new coaster! After riding Time Traveler (my first Mack coaster) last year I am definitely a fan of Mack Rides now.

I'm with you on that. Wheels turning about an East Coast trip with Carowinds.

I've been on a few of Mack's mice, and they're solid rides for the most part, but Time Traveler is in another league. Copperhead Strike looks to be in that same league, and this also looks to be the direction Mack wants to go.

I love the Mack launchers in Europe and Dubai, so I figure this will be another hit. Even though they don't have greyout Intamin forces, they're definitely not what I'd call family rides.

I also really like San Diego's Manta. Now that is something I'd consider a legit family coaster.

This is not a "family coaster". Sometimes it kills me to consider myself an enthusiast because if any new coaster doesn't blow the previous ones out the water then, for some, it was a waste. The coaster is fun, exciting and thrilling. Personally I never compare coasters because to me that's kinda silly. Like, why not go in and appreciate it for what it is and not because its better than "X" coaster or worst? What makes me enjoy riding coasters is to ride them because I love coasters and not to be critical and feel as if the park has to cater to my needs. Copperhead Strike is a great fit and balances out the coaster collection at Carowinds.

You said it was a family coaster...

"I have to say, Copperhead is a very fun family coaster and it seems it is what the park was missing."

I think we're just spoiled as enthusiasts. This seems like a hit, and I've heard some describe it as "intense." It compliments their coasters nicely, and once Hurler gets the Twisted Timbers treatment (it's bound to happen eventually, right?), they'll have an even nicer collection on their hands.

Just for information....

No Expectations = No Regrets.

IMhO. Just enjoy the ride.

Fair enough, but I'm 11 hours from Charlotte. So I'm trying to determine whether or not I want to book a flight (or drive) and hotel room to go down there again to ride this.

^ Oh I know that feeling, too. I've planned for overseas stuff, trying not to expect any thing to "happen" or "not up and operating" etc. It really is hard to make a call on when you want to travel. Especially from where you are, far far away. Even with online information to guide you, somewhat.